September 2012 Moms

Winter Coats and Car Seats

Life in MN has gotten a little chilly lately. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about traveling back and forth to school/errands etc with a kiddo who needs to be strapped in a car seat. Lately he's been wearing a hooded sweatshirt, but that's seemingly not enough on some days.

I think I remember hearing/reading that big fluffy winter coats are a big NO. So what are you doing if you live in a chilly climate?? 
I thought about having his winter coat in the car and trying to put him into that, but the short walk into school or into a store, is that really worth the hassle? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Winter Coats and Car Seats

• We are using a full body fleece, by Columbia. Plenty warm and car seat safe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in MN too.  I start the car early, so it warms up and then I just have her either wear her fleece jacket or a sweatshirt.  I also put a blanket over her.  She is outside so little that I'm not worried about her exposure to the cold for those brief moments. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not going to get into the carseatcoatdebacle again.  Ya'll know my opinions, lol.

But I will say, no matter what you do, when I vary the layers or thickness of clothing LO wears, I adjust the car seat straps.  That's the one step I never skip.  Even a sweater vs a shirt can make a difference.
  • Thanks, 
    Maybe I missed the debate earlier, sorry! 
    Thanks for the info, gals.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's a pain but we are putting her coat on when we take her out of the seat and taking it off before we put her in it. She gets too hot in the car anyway to keep her in anything warm in her carseat.

• Okay, I am taking the bait here because I have a question. What about one of these? https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=6338720131824&cid=1001860 Too much fluff? Canada is effing cold! 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Afunky6 said:
    I am going to be getting DD a small fleece jacket. That, coupled with a blanket in the car plus a hat, should be enough to keep her warm even if I don't heat up the car.

I live in ND so I know all about the -30 temps + wind chill :((
    Do you leave a heavier coat for her at DC? My issue will be that they go outside everyday, even when it's cold, just to get some fresh air. 

• Okay, I am taking the bait here because I have a question. What about one of these? https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=6338720131824&cid=1001860 Too much fluff? Canada is effing cold! 

My problem with this would be getting too hot in the car and DS not being able to walk around after getting out of the car. I had a snowsuit like this for him last year since we didn't have to worry about him walking around. I don't think its any more fluff than a fleece coat.

• I live in a much milder climate, although it can get chilly. With DD1, I found wrestling her to get her jacket on for a 1-2 minute walk from the car to be exhausting. I plan on getting a hooded poncho for quick walks to and from the car, and a regular jacket for times we might spend an extended period outdoors.

• It's getting cold here too (50ish F) - we dress DD in a long sleeve shirt, or short sleeve + cardigan. That's what she wears in the car. When we arrive at our destination, I sit in the back seat, take her out of the car seat, put her coat on and go where ever we need to go. Takes about 2 minutes. She's getting really efficient at it now.
  • FWIW, we send a big puffy coat to DCP with hat and mittens. In the car, we use a columbia fleece and hat and mittens. she also has an A&A blanket that stays in the car for warmth and snugglies.

Makes sense. 

• Maybe you wouldn't have missed the previous post If you actually participated instead of using the board like Google.
  • It's getting cold here too (50ish F) - we dress DD in a long sleeve shirt, or short sleeve + cardigan. That's what she wears in the car. When we arrive at our destination, I sit in the back seat, take her out of the car seat, put her coat on and go where ever we need to go. Takes about 2 minutes. She's getting really efficient at it now.
    I had to laugh at that, sorry. ;) That is long sleeve shirt and pants weather.

Lo is in a fleece kind of zip up coat in the car.  She has a poofy coat at daycare and a pair of fleece footed jams in case it's like that weird cool weather.  I figure those jams are easy to zip up over other clothes and keeps her legs and arms warm.
    Me too.  I had to check to make sure she wasn't talking about Celsius. 
  • MRoxy0628 said:
    It's getting cold here too (50ish F) - we dress DD in a long sleeve shirt, or short sleeve + cardigan. That's what she wears in the car. When we arrive at our destination, I sit in the back seat, take her out of the car seat, put her coat on and go where ever we need to go. Takes about 2 minutes. She's getting really efficient at it now.
    I had to laugh at that, sorry. ;) That is long sleeve shirt and pants weather.

Lo is in a fleece kind of zip up coat in the car.  She has a poofy coat at daycare and a pair of fleece footed jams in case it's like that weird cool weather.  I figure those jams are easy to zip up over other clothes and keeps her legs and arms warm.
    Me too.  I had to check to make sure she wasn't talking about Celsius. 
    Ugh. Effing typos. I meant 40ish. Still not frigid (I know), but chilly. 
    Hence why I said "getting cold". As in on the way to being cold / moving in the direction of cold.
  • Hyaline said:
    I'm not going to get into the carseatcoatdebacle again.  Ya'll know my opinions, lol.

But I will say, no matter what you do, when I vary the layers or thickness of clothing LO wears, I adjust the car seat straps.  That's the one step I never skip.  Even a sweater vs a shirt can make a difference.
    I have seen you reference your thoughts on this a few times but I have not actually read about your thoughts on the subject, would you mind sharing again?  If you don't want to re-hash it again that is fine, I am just curious :-)  Or if someone wants to link this discussion that would be great too.  I am just bored and being nosy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @BettyandCo - I'm active enough that I have many friends and acquaintances from s12! Thanks for your thought though.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mhanson18 said:
    @BettyandCo - I'm active enough that I have many friends and acquaintances from s12! Thanks for your thought though.
    I don't see where she was said you don't have any friends and/or acquaintances but this was literally JUST discussed, in length.  Maybe if you hung out here more instead just posting the occasional question thread you would know that?

• mhanson18 said:

@BettyandCo - I'm active enough that I have many friends and acquaintances from s12! Thanks for your thought though.

Ha, okay? I really could not care less how many "friends and acquaintances" you have on tb. The point is that you ONLY come around to ask a question, you aren't an active participant. And that's annoying to those of us who are active on the regular.
  • @BettyandCo - I'm active enough that I have many friends and acquaintances from s12! Thanks for your thought though.
    Ha, okay? I really could not care less how many "friends and acquaintances" you have on tb. The point is that you ONLY come around to ask a question, you aren't an active participant. And that's annoying to those of us who are active on the regular.
    Thanks for clarifying, Betty. So, for future reference, if I have a question I should not come here to ask it because I'm not a regular? Can you confirm that for me? I'm pretty sure this is a public message board, not a private Facebook group. Oh, and could someone please place the "but she doesn't even go here" gif for me? TIA.
    Thanks for clarifying, Betty. So, for future reference, if I have a question I should not come here to ask it because I'm not a regular? Can you confirm that for me? I'm pretty sure this is a public message board, not a private Facebook group. Oh, and could someone please place the "but she doesn't even go here" gif for me? TIA.
    If it was a more original question that hadn't been netbattled to death already, she would have gotten 1) more responses and 2) no snark. Search function works, so does google. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

Ooh. Feisty.

• hmp1 said:
    If it was a more original question that hadn't been netbattled to death already, she would have gotten 1) more responses and 2) no snark. Search function works, so does google. 
    I'm not disagreeing with this. However, I am disagreeing with Betty's sentiment that just because someone isn't a regular means they aren't allowed to post questions.

I agree someone should do a search first before posting a question, but she is allowed to ask the question without snark. Really.
  • My eyes are about to roll out of my head at this white knighting.
  • danabsd said:

Ooh. Feisty.

A lurker with an opinion. Go me!
  • @shannond354 - sure, mhanson18 can post anywhere she likes, just like any of us. That doesn't mean that those of us who actually contribute to this board don't have a right to be annoyed that she uses the board as her personal Google. And the beauty of free speech is we can speak up and say as much.
  • hmp1 said:
    I'm not disagreeing with this. However, I am disagreeing with Betty's sentiment that just because someone isn't a regular means they aren't allowed to post questions.

I agree someone should do a search first before posting a question, but she is allowed to ask the question without snark. Really.
    Here's my issue,  She does it all.the.time.  It really seems as that is the only time she uses TB, and that's annoying for the people who just did this,

• Hey Shannon, be on the look out for the next time Alphaphi starts a post. You will want to be around to defend her too.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• danabsd said:
    hmp1 said:

Here's my issue,  She does it all.the.time.  It really seems as that is the only time she uses TB, and that's annoying for the people who just did this,
    I'm not disagreeing - I'm just arguing for the other side (other September moms who aren't regular posters) that it is okay to ask a thoughtful question.

I'm a second time September mom, so clearly I have no need to ask questions
    :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"