December 2013 Moms
Options

Airport Trips for 200 Anyone?

My SO is currently stationed in Georgia for job training until May while me and LO are in Missouri. I plan on taking him down there after about 3 weeks if all is well. I was just wondering if any one else is planning any long distant trips. If so what is your plan for getting through security?

Re: Airport Trips for 200 Anyone?

• Options
    I took DS when he was pretty little. I checked his stroller and carseat and wore him around the airport and just carried him through security. It was actually a lot easier at the airport before he could walk. That's when it gets a little tougher and you need to run them like a puppy before getting on the plane. ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We took trips when DS was little.  Just make sure to have a few extra changes of clothes and diapers! (During one flight, DS totally had a huge blowout, changed his clothes, and then he vomited all over himself so he was just in a diaper after that!).  Also, make sure to give him a bottle/feed him during take off and landing (that'll help with ears plugging up, etc).  I agree with Missy though, SOOO much easier before they can walk!

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm mainly worried about not being able to lug everything through security by myself. My mothers going to help me when I take off but I'll be coming back through alone. And I don't want his car seat or stroller getting busted. (I've read soo many broken car seat horror stories!) I don't think his stroller will fit into one of those gate check bags either since it's a big 3 wheel jogger type. I've thought about just taking his car seat, diaper bag, and the usual 2 carry ons but that's a lot to juggle and I figured with a stroller I could put some stuff in it since I'll
    be wearing him.
  • Options
    Any way you can borrow or rent a carseat while you're there? I traveled alone with DD when she was 9 months old and took an umbrella stroller but borrowed my cousins carseat while we were there.  It wasn't bad getting through security I got a lot of understanding people that helped me get my things into the scanner.  
  • Options
    cherylnicolecherylnicole member
    edited October 2013
    There's no way you'll be able to take all that stuff. You'll have to check in a bag (and the stroller).  Check those in that way it's just you, car seat (with LO) and a diaper bag. Does he have his own seat on the plane? If you're just going to wear him the whole time then check in the car seat. Seriously.  I've NEVER had an issue with checking in a stroller/car seat and we've flown a ton. You'll have enough going on without lugging around all that stuff.

Eta-the less stuff you have, the easier it is.

View Full Size Image 

• Options
    It's so much easier to travel with them when they are babies than it is after they turn 1. I flew with DS1 at least 5 trips (4 flights each trip) in his first year. First trip he was 5 weeks. Wearing them is easier than the stroller IMHO. You just walk through the metal detector together. I hate checked the car seat and carried a small diaper bag. Nursed through take off and landing, brought extra clothes for him and one extra shirt for me. Total strangers helped me all the time without asking. Once they realize you are a young mom traveling alone with a newborn, they all offer help. I didn't actually carry the car seat, someone else always grabbed it for me
  • Options
    I plan on gate checking his car seat. I'm gonna do several trial packing before and maybe get some space bags so I can maximize packing space.
  • Options
     I think that's a lot to take on but good luck

View Full Size Image 

• Options
    Check the car seat and stroller, Wear the baby and take a diaper bag only. Sorry but it will be too hard and frustrating to take a car seat in the stroller. Are you forgetting that you will only be 3 weeks pp and might not be physically able to handle much more than a baby and a bag?

"Dont fucking ever come out your face talking shit like that" -SG 1/12/2014

• Options
    You've all made very good points. I might just pay extra to check a bag and only carry on his diaper bag. With extra clothes for him and me. Thank you!
  • Options
    I would check stuff. I'd either fly southwest with no baggage charges or get a credit card from a major airline that has an annual fee but included in that is free checked bags. Once I have LO, I plan on checking bags which I rarely do now.

• Options
    Yeah I usually just take a carry on and a purse.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"