Multiples

contractions - when were you told to call?

I think my ob says either 4 or 5 in an hour, but what if they don't come in regular intervals? I had 5 (I am 31 wks), but they have been anywhere from 8-15 minutes apart. I know I'm supposed to drink water and lay down and see if they stop, but I'm just curious what you all were told. TIA!
TTC #3 (#1 for DH) since September 2011. DX: Unexplained infertility with possible cervical factor. May 2012 did clomid with IUI - BFN August 2012 IUI #2 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN September 2012 IUI #3 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN October 2012 IUI #4 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN November/December 2012 IVF/ICSI #1 Retrieved 12 eggs, 8 fertilized. Transferred 1 beautiful embryo and 5 made it to freeze. Got my BFP! January 2013 u/s showed empty gestational sac. FET cycle April 2013.  Transferred 2 5 day embryos.  BFP!!!!!  2 heartbeats!!!!  EDD:  12/27/13

Re: contractions - when were you told to call?

• I was told to call immediately. At 31 weeks, they would want to stop them ASAP and if necessary have enough time to give you 2 steroid shots.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • I have been wondering the same thing. Mine have been coming at night but nothing regular and half the time I'm not even sure they are contractions! And I've had a baby before. It just feels like period cramping and then it goes away. I'm never sure when I should call.
    Type 1 Diabetic, Hashimotos, RA. Its twins!!!!  EDD 1/6/2014 Di/di b/g twins.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been wondering the same thing. Mine have been coming at night but nothing regular and half the time I'm not even sure they are contractions! And I've had a baby before. It just feels like period cramping and then it goes away. I'm never sure when I should call.

I know! I have also had a baby before, but was induced and hardly had any Braxton hicks. The only reason I know I have them is because my belly gets SO hard...but it doesn't hurt. Luckily, they stopped but they do like to come at night. I'm terrified of not calling when I should and missing the chance the stop PTL. Hopefully they can just back off for a few more weeks!!
    TTC #3 (#1 for DH) since September 2011. DX: Unexplained infertility with possible cervical factor. May 2012 did clomid with IUI - BFN August 2012 IUI #2 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN September 2012 IUI #3 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN October 2012 IUI #4 w/ follistim/letrozole - BFN November/December 2012 IVF/ICSI #1 Retrieved 12 eggs, 8 fertilized. Transferred 1 beautiful embryo and 5 made it to freeze. Got my BFP! January 2013 u/s showed empty gestational sac. FET cycle April 2013.  Transferred 2 5 day embryos.  BFP!!!!!  2 heartbeats!!!!  EDD:  12/27/13
  • I was told to call immediately if more than 6 an hour. Regularity did not matter. The nurse line would usually tell me to lie down and drink water, then call back if they still existed. 31 weeks is too early to not stop your contractions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I called last Monday because I was having tightening but not regular. They sent me to L&D where I had 4 the whole hour I was there (2 I didn't feel). I had a cervix check (ouch) and a fFn test done (negative). Was just nice peace of mind that the contractions I was having weren't changing my cervix. I still get them daily but I see my MFM today so I'm interested to see how my cervix is doing via ultrasound. I also get another NST today.

• I was told to call if I had 4-6 contractions in 30 minutes, along with spotting, lower back pain, and increased discharge.
  • I was told to go to L&D if I had 4+ in an hour.. I've had some, and yes usually in the evening, but haven't gotten to 4/hour yet!

• I was told to call if there ate more then 5 in an hour or they are 10min apart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was told 6 per hour. (or 3 in 30minutes depending on the doctor).  They don't have to be regular.  If I started getting close to the 6 in an hour, I would get some water and lay down and they would usually stop pretty quick. 

If I had two hours like that or they got more frequent, I'd call the doc and plan on heading to L&D for monitoring.  They can hydrate you pretty quick with an IV and give you meds to stop them. 

The only time I ended up in L&D, I was actually sent for something else entirely for monitoring, and I started getting contractions.  I asked for water and they told me no (different nurse, probably not sure why I was there, I was pretty big), and they increased, so when my regular nurse came in she said I'd been having contractions and needed to medicate me and give me an IV, I told her I knew that and had asked for water to hydrate and was told no.  If I had my water, I probably would have been able to stop them on my own.  But again, you don't want to risk it. They would rather monitor you and send you home, then have you come in too late.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Thanks for the replies! I'll double check with my doctor next week to see what he says, but luckily they did stop on their own. Hopefully they won't come back for awhile! This twin pregnancy is so stressful and I have had a pretty easy one comparatively!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"