March 2014 Moms
Options

NYC Employees get screwed!

Well I just learned that my order for a breast pump was cancelled because NO NYC employees get this benefit! The city refuses to pay for it, meaning NYPD, FDNY, NYC educators are all out of luck. Unbelievable!

Re: NYC Employees get screwed!

• Options
    What?! Do you have NYSHIP? I do through my graduate school (in the city) and I saw online that they do provide the pumps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's because technically the city is the employer and won't pay towards it. I'm just so pissed that people who literally save lives every day should get denied ANY benefit! I mean DH is a teacher and the policy holder, I'm not saying he should be compared to police or fire, but apparently the city has lumped them all together. Ugh! It's infuriating!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That stinks, my insurance won't cover either- catholic hospital in IL
  • Options
    Bummer - our insurance wont cover either :( They said we're in a "grandfathered" plan
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Options
    kirotea said:

Is the Catholic Church against breastfeeding now too? I don't see how breast pumps clash with church "values."

Ha no clue- I find it extremely odd. They covered my breast reduction but won't cover breast bumps
  • Options
    Check with your health department. Or any number of lactation clinics. A lot of them offer large discounts if not free pumps. I used to help moms get their hands on them as a nurse all of the time. Children's Hospitals are also a good place to look.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I work for the NYC DOE, this sucks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lopezalonsolopezalonso member
    edited November 2013
    kirotea said:
    Is the Catholic Church against breastfeeding now too? I don't see how breast pumps clash with church "values."
    It is not. I'm sure that the reason their insurance provider is choosing to not cover breast pumps is not a religious one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"