August 2013 Moms
Options

BTDT - Forceful Letdown Question

I have a really forceful letdown... like when I pump it hisses and an oversupply that I am working to correct, but I suspect my letdown is always going to be crazy.

Do babies ever get "used to" or "able to deal with" a forceful letdown or will I always be fighting this battle?

I'm having to either pump (making my oversupply worse,) before she nurses, or having to wake her up to nurse every 1.5 hours during the day and block feeding to prevent getting so full she doesn't get a fire hose to the face. It is making things pretty unpleasant for her.

Re: BTDT - Forceful Letdown Question

• Options
    I'm not btdt from a previous kid, but this LO has adjusted to my fast let down. I don't suspect mine was extreme though...maybe moderately fast combined with her being younger and still trying to learn to bf. I hope it gets easier for you soon.
  • Options
    Like Loki, I'm not btdt, but my LO has adjusted. I block fed for a fore/hind milk imbalance and I think that helped my supply a little. I also expressed a little before each feed and having her sit up while eating helped A LOT. I still keep a burp cloth handy so if it's too much she'll pull off and I'll let it spray into that. Once it's dripping rather than spraying I'll put her back on and she seems fine with it.

I know it's super frustrating. Stick with it, it'll get better!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My trouble is that she will strike because of my forceful let down. Being messy I can deal with - but she flat out won't eat and fights at the breast over it. I started pumping or hand expressing a little to mellow it out and it has only made my letdown stronger. Yesterday I ended up with almost 38 ounces of milk. (she ate 24,) but the excess is really way too much.

I'm hoping that by 6 months or so she may be able to handle the faster flow. :( My LC suggested trying a nipple shield to break up the stream and slow it down. Not excited about the prospect but if it helps keep her on until she can handle it I will.

• Options
    BellaOso said:

My trouble is that she will strike because of my forceful let down. Being messy I can deal with - but she flat out won't eat and fights at the breast over it. I started pumping or hand expressing a little to mellow it out and it has only made my letdown stronger. Yesterday I ended up with almost 38 ounces of milk. (she ate 24,) but the excess is really way too much.

I'm hoping that by 6 months or so she may be able to handle the faster flow. :( My LC suggested trying a nipple shield to break up the stream and slow it down. Not excited about the prospect but if it helps keep her on until she can handle it I will.

Mine never went on strike, but she'd scream at me. I remember 1 feeding would take well over an hour of her popping on and off screaming at me. I remember giving her a lecture on how the only choice she has is lefty or righty, other than that she's just going to have to deal with it. I don't know why, but it made me feel better trying to reason with an infant.

I'm sorry yours is striking. I wouldn't know what to try. Is it bad to try and decrease your supply a little? Tight sports bra, cold compresses, only expressing for comfort? Hopefully it gets better for you. :(

• Options
    She'll adjust, but it does take time.

With my oldest, when he'd pull off bc the letdown was too strong, I'd catch the spray w a burp rag and them when it calmed down, latch him back on.

Eventually, he stopped pulling off and could handle the flow. I suspect I had an oversupply the first time around - his poops were never green but he gained a pound a week for two months.

• Options
    Pump for like a minute or two and that shouldn't add to your over supply. When you nurse, lean back. Work against gravity.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Pump for like a minute or two and that shouldn't add to your over supply. When you nurse, lean back. Work against gravity.
    Thank you. I have been doing both these things.

• Options
    Dd2 has gotten more acceptive of the forceful letdown. She'll still pull off often, but she doesn't get as pissed off anymore.

I've read that things may improve post 3 months; after that growth spurt and after hormones are no longer playing a large part. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've posted a link to this site before but to a different section. The link below talks specifically about a strike...maybe it can be helpful
  • Options
    Mine is bad too but I'm noticing DD is getting used to it. I also used to have to pump for a few minutes too but a few weeks ago was able to stop. I also usually block feed. Your LO should get used to it as they get older but all babies are different so it may take longer. Just stick with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"