July 2013 Moms

What do you call the night before Halloween?

This is an informal poll for "research" :D.  Does your region have a name for October 30th?  What takes place on this evening?  Comment with where you live/ grew up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Big brother James 6-19-11  ****  Little sister Lillianna 6-26-13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do you call the night before Halloween?

• @BestyD2010 LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • I grew up in south eastern MN. October 30th was called "corn night". Where kids would throw pieces of corn at your door step to tell you they were coming back the next night to trick or treat :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I grew up in Connecticut, it was called Mischief Night.  Teens would go out and do pranks and vandalize stuff.  I remember sometimes people's mail boxes would get smashed, toilet papering, shaving cream, etc.  Also if you had your pumpkins out on your front porch kids might smash them on Mischief Night.  So now as an adult I never put my pumpkins out early for fear they'll get destroyed by some punk kids!  

Now I live in Texas and they don't have anything like that here.  And DH is from DC and looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned Mischief Night one time.  It's definitely a regional thing!

• KKinATX said:
    This is an informal poll for "research" :D.  Does your region have a name for October 30th?  What takes place on this evening?  Comment with where you live/ grew up.

Before reading the link or other comments, it's "Mischief Night." The "bad kids" egged and TP'd houses and cars. Stores refused to sell eggs to minors for about the week before. I grew up in Philly.
  • I have no word for this..its just octobet 30th to me. Im in central wisconsin
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • October 30th

Bonus: 

• We don't call it anything special.

• KKinATX said:
    I grew up in Connecticut, it was called Mischief Night.  Teens would go out and do pranks and vandalize stuff.  I remember sometimes people's mail boxes would get smashed, toilet papering, shaving cream, etc.  Also if you had your pumpkins out on your front porch kids might smash them on Mischief Night.  So now as an adult I never put my pumpkins out early for fear they'll get destroyed by some punk kids!  

This. I live in NJ and we call it Mischief Night.. I live in a really nice neighborhood now so I'm not worried about our pumpkins but I brought ours in last night anyway.
  • Heh, it's been a while. I forgot about the shaving cream and smashing of the pumpkins.
  • Mischief night here in nj:)
  • EagleWife said:
    Heh, it's been a while. I forgot about the shaving cream and smashing of the pumpkins.
    Smashing Pumpkins :)  Now it makes me wonder where the band name came from...

• KKinATX said:

I grew up in Connecticut, it was called Mischief Night. Teens would go out and do pranks and vandalize stuff. I remember sometimes people's mail boxes would get smashed, toilet papering, shaving cream, etc. Also if you had your pumpkins out on your front porch kids might smash them on Mischief Night. So now as an adult I never put my pumpkins out early for fear they'll get destroyed by some punk kids!

Now I live in Texas and they don't have anything like that here. And DH is from DC and looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned Mischief Night one time. It's definitely a regional thing!
    I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs, and we called it Mischief Night, too. Pumpkins smashed, TP in trees, decorations and lawn ornaments stolen. One year, a group of teenagers even blew up my neighbor's mailbox with firecrackers. (Cops were called after that one) DH grew up in rural MD, and he has never heard of Mischief Night.
  • I feel compelled to point out the map I posted isn't entirely accurate.  Where I grew up in Central CT is not shown in blue but we definitely had Mischief Night!

• KKinATX said:
    EagleWife said:
    Heh, it's been a while. I forgot about the shaving cream and smashing of the pumpkins.
    Smashing Pumpkins :)  Now it makes me wonder where the band name came from...
    @KKinATX,  I suspect from Mischief Night :) I phrased my initial comment the way I did to be clear that I didn't mean the band :D
  • hlhindin said:

I grew up in New Jersey and we had Mischief Night on October 30.  Kids under the age of 18 couldn't purchase shaving cream, eggs, or toilet paper...it was awesome!

Yup! This!!
  • Mischief Night in NY too. Same deal as in NJ & CT.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Huh... We never did anything special (raised in Louisiana and live in Alabama now).
  • Devils Night--MI

Had no idea this wasn't everywhere.
    TTC since 2008, our little miracle arrived July 2013!

photo fe6a27e4-de39-4f30-81f0-14bbf2fc509c.jpg
  • That map is really cool :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"