March 2014 Moms

Student moms (or lawyer moms) wwyd?

I know we've talked about this before, but I met with our dean of students this week to talk about next semester, and it made me wonder how everyone is dealing with things.

I told her I was planning on not coming back after spring break (so about 6-7 weeks out) and then just taking exams. I'll only have class two days a week next semester. Now I'm wondering if I should try not to miss so much class. Fwiw, the classes are reading/lecture classes, could possibly be taped for me, and the only grade is the exam, no homework or anything.

So, student moms- how much time are you taking or class are you missing? Moms that went to law school- is my plan crazy?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Student moms (or lawyer moms) wwyd?

• I don't know if your school offers this- but I had a friend who had a baby her last semester if law school and they let her do an intensive research project in lieu of classes- for 12 credit hours. It was nice for her because it was super flexible an she got to work with a faculty member she really liked... And her work ended up getting published. I'm not sure if you are in your last year of school or not(?), but I will tell you when I was a 3L I missed a LOT of class for no other reason than I was over it at that point. And I was fine. And so were a lot of my friends that did the same thing. I found that if I did the reading and made outlines, the lectures tended to be superfluous. It'll be a little crazy studying for exams with a little one, but if it was me I definitely wouldn't stress about missing a few weeks of classes.
  • I agree with @minnow1984.  I was not a model 3L student and missed the majority of my last semester.  I semi-planned it that way and signed up for what I'd heard were easy classes.  Also, I would ask around and pick ones that don't have attendance policies.  I think it's doable!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry to ask under your question but I am wondering the same thing! I'd like to continue going to school next semester. Do you think full time classes is too much with a newborn ? I wanted to take human anatomy w/lab( I think w/), psychology and human development. All prereq. for the psychiatric technician program. (FTM btw) I am an in person I have to go to class type of person to really get things to sink in But I can also take online. I would have to be super organized.
  • htn1763htn1763 member
    edited October 2013
    I took a couple online classes my third year and really liked them. Is that a possibility? I also think that most of my learning for exams came from studying outside of class. I didn't always pay the best attention especially the last semester of my third year! Could you get outlines from a friend in the classes?

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• If your professor is okay with it, I don't see a problem. I don't have a lot of self discipline to do it that way, but if you can do it, more power to ya! Just make sure you have babysitting, back up babysitting, and a back up for your back up, and you should be good.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I just wasn't sure because when I said I'd be out for 6 weeks the dean kind of gave me a weird look, so I felt a little guilty. But you're right- I'm a 3L. Who needs class?

@minnow1984 I am already planning on doing an independent study with one of my favorite faculty members. At our school, we have to write 15 pages per credit, so I don't think I could handle much more than the 3 credits/45 pages I'm doing. I hope your friend didn't have to do much more than that, I can't imagine writing a paper that long! My professor is letting me start early, so hopefully I'll be done with it before March and I can get those credits out of the way. 
  • Well... She did have to write way more, BUT it was all she did last semester so I guess it balanced out. But anyways, I really wouldn't worry about it- I think it's just the Dean's job to give weird looks when people say they're missing lots of class. But you're a 3L - live it up! :)
  • As a 3L it's probably ok if you have permission from the dean and your professors are fine with it. Are the classes pass/fail? I thought we were told that there were rules on how many hours you had to actually be in class to get credit, you may want to check.
  • TradeMama said:

As a 3L it's probably ok if you have permission from the dean and your professors are fine with it. Are the classes pass/fail? I thought we were told that there were rules on how many hours you had to actually be in class to get credit, you may want to check.

There are, you can technically only miss so many classes according to the ABA. I don't think it's really enforced though.
  • As a 3L it's probably ok if you have permission from the dean and your professors are fine with it. Are the classes pass/fail? I thought we were told that there were rules on how many hours you had to actually be in class to get credit, you may want to check.
    There are, you can technically only miss so many classes according to the ABA. I don't think it's really enforced though.
    I don't ever remember anyone taking attendance. Not after 1st year anyway. I had one friend that didn't buy a single book or go to any classes 3rd year. I don't think he did all that well, but he still passed. I think the lowest grade they gave out was a B- anyway! 

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• In my experience, you have to be careful. It depends a lot on the individual professors and whether they like you. However, I can tell you that I don't remember 3L year very well so it wasn't very memorable.
  • I'm a PhD student and luckily I finish classes this semester so no classes next week. But I am doing an internship and need to take time off of that. I started it in August and have already spoken to my supervisor. It is a volunteer-based internship so no payment and my supervisor was very understanding. He said people usually take a minimum of 3 months so that's what I'll be doing unless I feel differently beforehand. 
  • I was planning on not coming back after the baby was born either, but talking to a couple of my teachers they made it seem like that would be a HUGE issue. My classes are in no way hard so I think they are probably wrong. I haven't decided though what to do because I am having a hard time trying to find someone to watch baby if I do go to classes. So I'm caught in between. I may wait until I see how the semester is going and decide when the baby is here. I also have to wait and see what DH's work will allow him to have off. (They allow 12 weeks but you have to be there a year and he has only been there since July)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I work full time for a University and will be taking one hybrid class this spring so ill miss 1 class most likely. I already spoke with the professor and she is willing to work with me.
    imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Not in law school but my last year of SLP grad school. I am taking two classes and will probably miss a week. Both profs said I could bring the baby with me or they offered to record lectures, but I would rather go in person. I just learn better that way. I figure the last 8 weeks will kind of suck but then I'll be done and can relax at home with my babies until I feel like getting a job.
    Due 3.27.14 (lame because I cannot figure out how to save a fun ticker.....)
  • I'm in the nursing program and we are only allowed to miss one clinical day for the semester. My goal is to get all my clinical hours done early, so that all I will have to worry about is missing my lecture class. I'm due March 10th. If she comes on time I plan to just have the rest of March off.....the last week of March is out spring break so I would technically only be missing 2 weeks of class. That's what my fingers are crossed for!
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I'm in the nursing program and we are only allowed to miss one clinical day for the semester. My goal is to get all my clinical hours done early, so that all I will have to worry about is missing my lecture class. I'm due March 10th. If she comes on time I plan to just have the rest of March off.....the last week of March is out spring break so I would technically only be missing 2 weeks of class. That's what my fingers are crossed for!

I totally forgot about spring break!! That will help!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I only have two classes, a seminar, and my practicum (kinda like student teaching.) I was going to just wait til next year to graduate, but my main professor (very small school and program) said she'd work with me to help me graduate!

Since I'll only have 7 hrs of class a week or so, I'm hoping to take off about two weeks, depending on when spring break is. My classes will also be at night when Dh will be at home to watch our baby. I still have to figure out my practicum but she said I have have a 4-6 week extension to get it done. Crossing my fingers this will work out.

I'd also talk to your professors that you think you'll have before hand and see how accommodating they are will to be. I think it has more to do with the professors attitude about it all than anything else.

I'd also try to schedule classes around dh's work schedule whenever possible, so you can attend a class here and there if needed and not have to worry about a sitter.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• I was pregnant with my first child during law school and am embarrassed to say that I can't remember exactly how I handled it.  He was born in mid-January, so I'm going to assume I took the whole semester off.  I graduated one semester after my peers (end of summer instead of end of spring), so that must be what I did.  I was also pregnant when I graduated and I do remember that I took my bar exam later than the rest of my peers as well.  I do remember my school being very accommodating to me. I don't think that missing the classes all together would be good (it wouldn't have been for me since much of our exams came out of lectures), so maybe taping the courses would be a nice compromise.  Good luck!
  • With DS 2 I did a nursing semester online and went to school for class and my assigned location for clinical. Clinicals didn't start for a few weeks into class and I had baby a week or so before class started so I was fine. It was so hard I won't lie but we survived!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"