September 2012 Moms

UO

Re: UO

• hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.
    Who takes 2 minutes to return a cart? At my grocery store, you are never more than 5 or 6 spaces away from the cart return and really, I just park in the back so I am closest to the cart return. It rains a lot here, kid goes in the car first when it is raining.

It certainly takes more than 30 seconds to return a cart. My point is, the baby unattended in a car. I guess I don't see the point in leaving your baby unattended in a car, in a grocery store parking lot just to return a cart. Should you return a cart? Sure. Should you if it means your kids unattended? No.
    And I don't think my kid strapped into his car seat while I am 10-30 feet from my car an have the car in my sight the entire time is unattended. If you are next to or a space away from the cart return, it is less than 30 seconds from the time I close the back of my car until I am back.

If you are parked right next to the corral, sure, that makes sense. In our grocery store, there are exactly two corrals and they aren't always near where I'm parked, so E would be out of sight for more than 30 seconds. Maybe it's a difference of neighborhoods, I don't know?
    How about this? Many of the stores I frequent DON'T have cart returns. So I haul my cart & kid back to the store and walk her back. The point is most people don't have the luxury of parking RIGHT next to a return. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Kemare20 said:
    Afunky6 said:
    Kemare20 said:
    I totally get people wanting to help because "they've been there". But often times, it's stepping over the line and comes across as "I am a better mom than you, let me help because obviously you don't have your shit together."

Really? I usually think the opposite.

They know the difficulty so they are stepping in to commiserate and try to alleviate some of your angst.

Sometimes, LL. Sometimes it is an 80 year old woman who should mind her own fawking business and let me deal with my own issue. I get both points, but let me be a mom to my kid before you try to intervene. KWIM?
    I haven't had anyone step in before and I would probably freak out if they did. I'm not a huge people person and I don't like talking to random strangers, and I only see that escalating if they're trying to grab my kid.
    This as well. There are some situations I can think of where I would be like "Mind your own business, please." and others where I would be praying for someone to come rescue me. lol

This was me at swim class our first time where I'm in the bathroom stall changing and as soon as my bathing suit top is off DS decides to go under the door and b-line for the other kids. I had to make a split second decision of going topless or praying someone would occupy him for like 30 seconds so I could get my shit together. Looking back funny, in the moment, not so much!

I'm all for helping out other mom's when needed but I think in most instances you can just tell when they've had enough and are internally pleading for some help. I'm not about to go up to a total stranger and take her child either. Most older women I think don't have a filter anyways. They can't seem to catch themselves.

***Stuck

I guess my UO is I don't get why you were changing in a stall? Traumatizing changing experiences in high school gym?

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't leave my kid in the car to return a cart in Boston either, I'd take him with me or hand the cart off to an employee. And our grocery store parking lot is big and only has two cart returns. If there isn't an open space in one of those two rows, yeah, it will take more than thirty seconds and your car will most likely be out of your view. Luckily, they have great employees that are usually around and willing to take it for you, but I imagine that isn't always the case. But mostly I don't really care about the great cart debate.

Sounds like ours, sans the employee who grabs the cart.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.
    Who takes 2 minutes to return a cart? At my grocery store, you are never more than 5 or 6 spaces away from the cart return and really, I just park in the back so I am closest to the cart return. It rains a lot here, kid goes in the car first when it is raining.
    These are my thoughts.  If it's taking you more than 20 seconds to return a cart, then I'm assuming you're doing it wrong...or you have a disability.

Oh. Seriously?
    I just couldn't fathom taking more than 20 seconds- if that- in returning a Target cart.  It's usually directly across from my car- meaning I can see my car the entire time.  It seems like maybe your parking lots are different from the ones I'm used to- that the corrals are further away from your car than they would be from mine.  IDK.  From my perspective and experience, it just seems a little paranoid to me to be worried about taking less than 20 seconds to return a cart. But, that's why we're debating this, right?  Different strokes for different folks.

I was also going to ETA the disability comment because I see how it could read insensitive and that wasn't my intention at all. It was meant to mean that I could see it taking someone longer if they do have some disability that would inhibit or slow down their movement.  And I didn't mean to insinuate that YOU have a disability.  Sorry that you could have read it that way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry guys, I didn't realize I planted the seed for parking lot wars. 

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• Ha! Maybe that's why this has ever been a debate. My target has 20 cart returns. I can park within 10 ft of one 100% of the time. I could park anywhere in the lot and have my cart returned within 15.5 seconds. Ditto for any grocery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    These are my thoughts.  If it's taking you more than 20 seconds to return a cart, then I'm assuming you're doing it wrong...or you have a disability.

Oh. Seriously?
    I just couldn't fathom taking more than 20 seconds- if that- in returning a Target cart.  It's usually directly across from my car- meaning I can see my car the entire time.  It seems like maybe your parking lots are different from the ones I'm used to- that the corrals are further away from your car than they would be from mine.  IDK.  From my perspective and experience, it just seems a little paranoid to me to be worried about taking less than 20 seconds to return a cart. But, that's why we're debating this, right?  Different strokes for different folks.

I was also going to ETA the disability comment because I see how it could read insensitive and that wasn't my intention at all. It was meant to mean that I could see it taking someone longer if they do have some disability that would inhibit or slow down their movement.  And I didn't mean to insinuate that YOU have a disability.  Sorry that you could have read it that way.

Agreed, that's why it's my UO. I just don't sweat it if it doesn't always get back to the corral. In a city where there is a ton of crime, especially my section of the city, I'd rather be paranoid than sorry.

• I love Halloween. Both kids are on costume three for tonight. I totally ToTed through college. I always had elaborate costumes and wanted to show them off. I lived in a college town and wasn't bugging families. I think it is fine as long as effort was put into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw a discussion about grocery carriages on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5? ETA: I try to park near a corral, not only for easy return but it also protects one side of my car from the Massholes who smash their car doors into mine. But, I don't sweat it if I can't return it.
    Eh, the difference as I see it is that 1) I can see my car the whole time and 2) It's more like 15-20 seconds, not 2 minutes. If I'm further than a really short jog, then I take my cart past the car first to unload the groceries then take the cart with the kids in it to the return. I think it's an a-hole move to not return the cart.

• @flamingemu In years of locker rooms from playing basketball, tennis, and running track... I never once had my tits or coot out in front of any of my friends/teammates. Id use a stall or face a corner and change fast. I wouldn't undress as an adult at my kids swim lessons, in front of strangers if there was a more private option available. I'm not traumatized from childhood, just modest.
    Agreed. And I also feel like I'm doing good for humanity by covering up as much of my goodies as possible.  Then I hope that others will return the favor.  i don't like seeing their junk either.
    Ugh, I have seen some scary, bulging, saggy shit in locker rooms.

• Kemare20 said:
    Afunky6 said:
    Kemare20 said:
    I totally get people wanting to help because "they've been there". But often times, it's stepping over the line and comes across as "I am a better mom than you, let me help because obviously you don't have your shit together."

Really? I usually think the opposite.

They know the difficulty so they are stepping in to commiserate and try to alleviate some of your angst.

Sometimes, LL. Sometimes it is an 80 year old woman who should mind her own fawking business and let me deal with my own issue. I get both points, but let me be a mom to my kid before you try to intervene. KWIM?
    I haven't had anyone step in before and I would probably freak out if they did. I'm not a huge people person and I don't like talking to random strangers, and I only see that escalating if they're trying to grab my kid.
    This as well. There are some situations I can think of where I would be like "Mind your own business, please." and others where I would be praying for someone to come rescue me. lol

This was me at swim class our first time where I'm in the bathroom stall changing and as soon as my bathing suit top is off DS decides to go under the door and b-line for the other kids. I had to make a split second decision of going topless or praying someone would occupy him for like 30 seconds so I could get my shit together. Looking back funny, in the moment, not so much!

I'm all for helping out other mom's when needed but I think in most instances you can just tell when they've had enough and are internally pleading for some help. I'm not about to go up to a total stranger and take her child either. Most older women I think don't have a filter anyways. They can't seem to catch themselves.

***Stuck

I guess my UO is I don't get why you were changing in a stall? Traumatizing changing experiences in high school gym?

No trauma here. He was running around like crazy so I figured I'd try to corale him a bit in there. I knew it'd eventually go under the door but didn't think it would be impeccable timing when I had my top off. Plus the locker room was super busy and no real room to change so I figured the stall was easier. Lesson learned!

• You obviously haven't tried to get my child in and out a carseat before. I'm not about to take my kid out of the car to run in the house that is 3 feet from the car which is parked in the garage. If I lived in a larger city I would react differently but in my small town where my garage is connected to my house, NO WAY.

As for the cart debate, do whatever the hell you want when it comes to child in car vs. child not in car. I personally put my kid in the car and then return the car usually. Especially with the crappy weather we're about to have. I'd rather have him in the warm car, locked and in my sight then sitting in a cart freezing his buns off. Again if I lived in a larger city with less cart chorales (I find that weird) I might react differently.

• mrsbhk22mrsbhk22 member
    edited October 2013
    I have 3 kids. It's so much easier to just load them up, unpack the groceries and walk less than 20 steps to the nearest cart place. I intentionally park near them, even if it means I have to park in BFE. (Never next to them, 1-2 spots away. Assholes always "throw" their carts into the thing and then they roll back out and hit the nearest).
  • hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:

How about this? Many of the stores I frequent DON'T have cart returns. So I haul my cart & kid back to the store and walk her back. The point is most people don't have the luxury of parking RIGHT next to a return. 
    And I would argue that most people on here do have that "luxury" to be next to or a car away from a cart return. So don't blanket that by saying it is the same thing as leaving your child in the car while you go into a store/gas station/school... For the people that can't be close to a cart return, fine take your child with you. No harm in that.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Written in comic sans for sarcasm:

I live in super scary downtown Chicago where guns are fired non stop all day and people are killed and kidnapped left and right in grocery store and Target parking lots, yet I strap the kids in, set the car alarm and walk two spaces to put the cart away in 10 seconds all while watching the car.

But anyways, Peapod FTW, I hate grocery shopping.  Or kids staying home with dad while I vacation to Target FTW.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Kemare20 said:
    danabsd said:
    Eastie156 said:
    My UO- I just saw this discussion on another thread. I think leaving your baby in the car to "run to the carriage corral" to return your cart is really no different than "running into cvs real quick" while leaving your baby in the car. My feeling is, your baby's unattended and by itself in a car. Does it make a difference that it's two minutes or 5?
    I agree.
    I guess it also depends on the area of the country you are in. I have no problem leaving G in the car to go return a cart so long as the car is in my sight.

Those of you who think leaving your child in the car is a no-no: Do you take your child in the house with you when you forget something in the fridge? Or do you leave them in the car, run in and grab what you need?
    I consider my garage part of my house. I have no problem leaving my kid in the car when I put the groceries away, especially if he is sleeping. The door to our garage is right off our kitchen so he is in the next room just like when he is playing in the family room and I'm in the kitchen. No different in my mind.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Oh and it took me less than seven seconds to return my cart yesterday.
    Again, challenge accepted.  I will beat your time.

• Dude. Chill. I didn't say anything about you or your child, I simply said that I, personally, wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't. I'm sorry if that offends you?
    Me??
    --- Poke dot.
    No offense at all. And I wasn't directing my comment at you either just the general conversation.

• Oh and it took me less than seven seconds to return my cart yesterday.
    Okay. I was just explaining that it's far less than 30 seconds.
    I was teasing.  ::joking font::

• hmp1 said:
    Oh and it took me less than seven seconds to return my cart yesterday.
    Ha, I was thinking "how long is an IG video, 8 seconds?" I imagine lots of cart return videos in my feed this weekend :)
    Love this idea.  My DH will wonder WTAF I am doing when I ask him to video me.

• I take my kid with me to return the cart 2 spots away but leave my kid in my unlocked car while I run back in the house because I'm late and forgot shit. I also have a garage filled with everything but my car (bobkat).

My H loves the Cowboys AND Romo.. that's a real UO. I plan on getting him tickets next season.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • edited October 2013
    I cannot possibly care about the cart BS.
    Unless you're leaving your kid in the car to go shopping, I don't understand why this is a crisis.  Then again, Nancy fell asleep on the way home on Friday afternoon and I let her sleep in the car in the garage while I did yard work.  

I just had a student in my office for the last 75 minutes telling me about the premonitions she has and that's the reason she wants to become a nurse. FFS.  I have 37 appointments this week and that set me back over 30 minutes.  My 230 rescheduled and my 3pm still hasn't shown.  

Edit:
    My garage is in my front yard.  I didn't abandon my kid and go play in the backyard or something.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I have been watching Disney channel Halloween specials all day. /random and not a UO.
    I am bummed that the Charlie Brown Halloween cartoon is on tonight when we will be trick or treating. I was hoping it would have been on last night.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    I have been watching Disney channel Halloween specials all day. /random and not a UO.
    I am bummed that the Charlie Brown Halloween cartoon is on tonight when we will be trick or treating. I was hoping it would have been on last night.
    We still had it on our DVR from last year and have been watching all month long!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I cannot possibly care about the cart BS.

Unless you're leaving your kid in the car to go shopping, I don't understand why this is a crisis.  Then again, Nancy fell asleep on the way home on Friday afternoon and I let her sleep in the car in the garage while I did yard work.  

I just had a student in my office for the last 75 minutes telling me about the premonitions she has and that's the reason she wants to become a nurse. FFS.  I have 37 appointments this week and that set me back over 30 minutes.  My 230 rescheduled and my 3pm still hasn't shown.  

Edit:
    My garage is in my front yard.  I didn't abandon my kid and go play in the backyard or something.
    Sorry:/ That sucks for you, but she'll get hers. Nurses eat their young and I can't imagine that going over too well.

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have been watching Disney channel Halloween specials all day. /random and not a UO.
    What channel?! I love Charlie Brown.
    ABC, 7pm CST

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Wow, I do a p&r and holy shite. FTR, I don't really care all that much about the cart debate. Bottom line for me, I'm not leaving my kid in the car, by himself , in a grocery store parking lot to return a cart, if those were my choices. I don't care if I'm in the city or Podunk wherever. For those of you that think someone is going to jimmy your lock and hot-wire your car, it's probably more like they are going to smash your window and grab your kid. Whatevs, maybe they won't. But again, that's why it's my UO.

• @flamingemu In years of locker rooms from playing basketball, tennis, and running track... I never once had my tits or coot out in front of any of my friends/teammates. Id use a stall or face a corner and change fast. I wouldn't undress as an adult at my kids swim lessons, in front of strangers if there was a more private option available. I'm not traumatized from childhood, just modest.
    Agreed. And I also feel like I'm doing good for humanity by covering up as much of my goodies as possible.  Then I hope that others will return the favor.  i don't like seeing their junk either.
    Facing the wall is much easier than using a stall and worrying about hitting the nasty toilet. Modesty is wrapping a towel around yourself and pulling on your pants, then putting on a shirt and pulling off the towel. The stalls are gross yo.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • You obviously haven't tried to get my child in and out a carseat before. I'm not about to take my kid out of the car to run in the house that is 3 feet from the car which is parked in the garage. If I lived in a larger city I would react differently but in my small town where my garage is connected to my house, NO WAY.

As for the cart debate, do whatever the hell you want when it comes to child in car vs. child not in car. I personally put my kid in the car and then return the car usually. Especially with the crappy weather we're about to have. I'd rather have him in the warm car, locked and in my sight then sitting in a cart freezing his buns off. Again if I lived in a larger city with less cart chorales (I find that weird) I might react differently.

It is weird. I think so everytime I go. Seriously, Safeway - give me a damn cart return!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    hmp1 said:
    Eastie156 said:

And I would argue that most people on here do have that "luxury" to be next to or a car away from a cart return. So don't blanket that by saying it is the same thing as leaving your child in the car while you go into a store/gas station/school... For the people that can't be close to a cart return, fine take your child with you. No harm in that.
    I never said any of that. Don't lump me in.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Hyaline said:
    Eastie156 said:
    Wow, I do a p&r and holy shite. FTR, I don't really care all that much about the cart debate. Bottom line for me, I'm not leaving my kid in the car, by himself , in a grocery store parking lot to return a cart, if those were my choices. I don't care if I'm in the city or Podunk wherever. For those of you that think someone is going to jimmy your lock and hot-wire your car, it's probably more like they are going to smash your window and grab your kid. Whatevs, maybe they won't. But again, that's why it's my UO.
    Really.  This is really going to happen in the 30 seconds it takes to walk to the corral.  While the parent is in clear view, the entire time. Hell, at that point, why is this mysterious boogeyman not grabbing kid from your arms and running off while you walk back from the cart corral together?  Why not make off with your cart from the dairy aisle with the kid in it?   

Borrowing.  Trouble.

(FWIW I don't think that anyone is going to hotwire your car.  That was the point.  Inventing incredible situations to avoid is just borrowing trouble when there are real things to worry about.)

Weird shit happens in the city. So yeah, I'm not going to trust in the "30 seconds it takes" (for those of you that have 7 cart returns at your grocery store) to return your cart, that something may not happen to your kid. Come spend a day in my neighborhood and then let's talk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"