September 2012 Moms

Randoms/Say Anything

2»

Re: Randoms/Say Anything

• Last night I was at the grocery store with DS. I chuckled to myself as I put the cart away about how S12 used to get all up in arms about that issue. 
    I don't remember this at all. Was it a debate on how to return the cart while watching out for your kid too?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pokedot said:
    mrsbhk22 said:
    Pokedot said:
    I'm so sad I decided to starting watching my carbs and sugars the week of Halloween. What was I thinking?
    Also our TOT time is 5-7pm. It's dark at 6:30. They changed daylight savings time to reflect this so kids weren't TOTing in the dark yet our lovely town has TOT until 7pm. 4-6 was a much more acceptable time.
    We're 6-8, but at least our town is on Halloween.
    4-6? Sorry all kids whose parents don't SAH. No TOT for you! Edit: unless your TOT is on the weekend. But on Halloween in the middle of the week?
    It's on Halloween in our town. Everyone except our town is 4-6pm. I just don't know why they changed it to 5-7 when daylight savings time was changed for that fact, so kids weren't TOTing in the dark. It's dark here at 6:30. I like 4-6 better IMO. I understand people working, I work FT.
    I'm leaving work early so I can be home for our 6-9 ToT. If my town designated 4-6 as ToT time, I would lose my shit. And write a bunch of strongly worded letters, most likely. And seriously? No trick or treating in the dark? WTF is that? Growing up in FL, we once had to do earlier ToT because of a EEE outbreak, and it was the lamest thing ever. Although I did dress as a mosquito, which was pretty awesome.
  • Loading the player...
  • Confession: I don't see why it's that big of a deal to return your cart to a corral after you put your kid in the car.  I try to park near one, but when I can't, I don't sweat jogging it across a parking lot really quick.  I guess I missed the debate from the earlier days.  I mean, I'm not running INTO the store without him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I worked at American Eagle in college and loved it. Especially on black Friday.
    I worked there in high school/college. 40% everything? Hells yeah.
  • I want to change my profile picture, but I'm too lazy.

• hmp1 said:
    Pokedot said:
    I think the whole BF thing is terrible for those that have to work. Most places of employment it's mandatory you work BF. It's getting earlier and earlier each year with certain places open on Thanksgiving and if places are open, people will go. These people who work in retail work their asses off every other day of the year why can't they have 2 days (Thanksgiving & Christams Day) with their families out of 365?
    Took me about 3 reads to figure out BF=Black Friday and not Breast Feeding.

Haha someone else had used "BF" and I figured I would as well. Less typing because I'm lazy like that! I also had to re-read the PP's post to realize it wasn't BFing! Oops!

• ToTing for us was always in the dark for the last hour. It was also ways 4-6pm. That was before the time change was moved back (a couple years ago maybe.) So we never had to worry about lights on in the house thing. Our area does porch lights or garage lights to indicate their is a treat from that house. I guess I never realized it was different other places? No porch light on=no candy/treat.

I've always put DS in the car and then put the cart back. He can be in the car for 10 seconds with the doors locked and my eye on him the whole time. I'm not concerned in the least.

• mnkate said:
    I have no idea what ToT hours are for my neighborhood. I just assumed people would start as soon as they had dinner. We're prepared to hand out candy until 9, then lights out. (As long as we don't run out of candy)
    Your nice. Our light goes off when we take James up to bed, a round 8. No clue if our area has suggested time for ToT. I figure people handing out candy are free to decide their own times.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I leave my front door open (with the glass door shut) for trick or treaters to see.   Plus I pull the pumpkins out to the driveway so it looks inviting.  If it's really nice out I'll sit on the porch for a while, but usually I'm inside the door sitting with the babies.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • It's raining here and is supposed to all day.  I am really bummed because I was looking forward to taking the kids ToT.    We live in a high rise so at least they can ToT in our building since the doorman has a list of units that are handing out candy.  We used to hand out candy before we had DS to take out ToT during the allotted time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pokedot said:
    I think the whole BF thing is terrible for those that have to work. Most places of employment it's mandatory you work BF. It's getting earlier and earlier each year with certain places open on Thanksgiving and if places are open, people will go. These people who work in retail work their asses off every other day of the year why can't they have 2 days (Thanksgiving & Christams Day) with their families out of 365?
    I refuse to shop anywhere on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

But, don't like BF? don't work in retail. Just like I wouldn't work in event planning if I never wanted to work nights or weekends. Kind of common sense comes-with-the-territory thing.
    But that's what wrong with this society! Why can't places be closed Thanksgiving and Christmas? It's 2 days out of 365. Sometimes it's not as simple as not working retail. Retail makes up a HUGE chunk of the work for Americans. I'm not going to get into a debate about the job market blah, blah, blah but around where I live retail is almost a must for a job especially for college kids. I just don't like that they are open and then the force their employees to work. Not cool, not cool at all!

• Cheenomae said:
    Wait, are y'all being serious? Are there really set ToT times in your towns/cities or are these times you and your family have just decided you'll be doing the ToTing? Not being snarky, just really curious. I've never heard of this, ever. In our city people just trick or treat any ole time. It seems common for the families of young kids to be out a bit early, toward the end of daylight and the older kids/teens go into the night. Sometimes past 9 pm.
    This is how it is for us.  Never heard of set times.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Cheenomae said:
    Wait, are y'all being serious? Are there really set ToT times in your towns/cities or are these times you and your family have just decided you'll be doing the ToTing? Not being snarky, just really curious. I've never heard of this, ever. In our city people just trick or treat any ole time. It seems common for the families of young kids to be out a bit early, toward the end of daylight and the older kids/teens go into the night. Sometimes past 9 pm.
    Ok, I am not alone.  I thought maybe I was just not caught up on the rules.  I don't think I have ever seen a ToTer before dark round my parts.

• hmp1 said:
    Black Friday is usually pretty organized and easy around here, people are pretty polite and just happy to be there. I have never seen anyone fighting or stealing from somebody else. Maybe because the police are always there? But I imagine that is the case everywhere.
    DH and I went to Target last year when it started (maybe 8pm?). Everyone was in a great mood, laughing, having fun. I actually picked out a few sweaters to buy. It was super crowded but everyone was polite. I didn't realize what the line was like until we rounded a corner and saw the check out line was winding in and out of all the aisles in the front of the store and then down the side aisles. It was insane. We dropped our stuff and left.

BTW, Target's BF deals are also on their websites.  Last year I wanted a camera for MIL so I went on their website and ordered it for the BF price Thanksgiving night and had it shipped to me.  Totally worth the shipping cost to not deal with the mess.
  • I'm upset for ds bc I chose to keep him home from DC today so we could go to my Mom's & ToT with his cousins. It wasn't supposed to rain till tonight, but it's raining now. So he missed his DC Halloween party & parade & now he probably won't be able to dress up & go out at my Mom's either

I'm pissed too bc I worked hard on that costume, damn it!!

• I just push DS to the corral, take him out and carry his ass to the car. Have I been doing it wrong? 
    Same here, unless I score a spot right near the cart return. 

• I worked at American Eagle in college and loved it. Especially on black Friday.
    I worked at American Eagle for 4 years and LOVED black Friday.  I HATED working January because it was the month of returns.
     I HATED Dec 24 because they tried to make you come in for display changes so they'd have spring shit out Dec 26. Fuck that noise, it's Christmas eve.
    So true.  I used to get bitched at for selling what was in the displays.  I was like, yeah, you made your sales quota today, though.
    Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • I always though there was a law that you couldn't TOT after the sun went down. Pretty sure that was just my mom's cleverness. It worked.
    But that's the best time to go! We always had an adult accompanying and we had a blast ToT in the dark

Stuck in quotes-- This was us growing up, too. I lived out in the country, so we didn't have a set time, but my cousins and I would go near my aunt's house, because she lived in town. I don't even think we would start until it got dark. Where we are now, though, ToTing is from 4-6:30 I think. 
  • hmp1 said:
    Black Friday is usually pretty organized and easy around here, people are pretty polite and just happy to be there. I have never seen anyone fighting or stealing from somebody else. Maybe because the police are always there? But I imagine that is the case everywhere.
    DH and I went to Target last year when it started (maybe 8pm?). Everyone was in a great mood, laughing, having fun. I actually picked out a few sweaters to buy. It was super crowded but everyone was polite. I didn't realize what the line was like until we rounded a corner and saw the check out line was winding in and out of all the aisles in the front of the store and then down the side aisles. It was insane. We dropped our stuff and left.

BTW, Target's BF deals are also on their websites.  Last year I wanted a camera for MIL so I went on their website and ordered it for the BF price Thanksgiving night and had it shipped to me.  Totally worth the shipping cost to not deal with the mess.
    We went because my parents were in town for Thanksgiving so we had babysitters. We were the annoying people out to people watch and sip our Starbucks. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I have never heard of set times for toting. We will not be taking Ellie out.
    I worked all freaking and part of this morning. I am exhausted and don't even want to deal with the holiday.
                  image     image
  • Every single night, at exactly Leo's bedtime, the 3 year old that lives above us starts running and jumping around. It drives me crazy, and it wakes Leo up repeatedly. But I don't feel like I can really say anything, because after all a 3 year old should be allowed to move around a little. Later in the evening the running and jumping continues, and I'm guessing it's their 11 year old girl, who recently entered the "dancing and singing in front of the mirror" stage. It's all good, but maybe not directly above Leo's bedroom...
    In the spirit of good neighborliness, I think you're right to not say anything. They're just being kids. I had downstairs neighbors once who complained that I walked around too much. I lived alone, with a cat, and never wore shoes in the house. I was walking, not jumping, so when they complained, I pegged them as assholes forever.

• If one more person posts a Link on FB to some passive aggressive blog post about "SAHMs have it much harder" or "Working moms have to run a business and a home" I'm going to lose it. Ahhhhh!
  • I just ate a half a loaf of focaccia bread for lunch. Healthy.

I have never heard of scheduled hours for trick or treating. It seems odd.

Focaccia bread is the shit. I envy you
  • melody921 said:
    Every single night, at exactly Leo's bedtime, the 3 year old that lives above us starts running and jumping around. It drives me crazy, and it wakes Leo up repeatedly. But I don't feel like I can really say anything, because after all a 3 year old should be allowed to move around a little. Later in the evening the running and jumping continues, and I'm guessing it's their 11 year old girl, who recently entered the "dancing and singing in front of the mirror" stage. It's all good, but maybe not directly above Leo's bedroom...
    In the spirit of good neighborliness, I think you're right to not say anything. They're just being kids. I had downstairs neighbors once who complained that I walked around too much. I lived alone, with a cat, and never wore shoes in the house. I was walking, not jumping, so when they complained, I pegged them as assholes forever.

I know... We are two families who own the house together, though, and it's a little awkward that we don't know each other better. I wish we had at least been on "a random cup of tea and a chat" terms, but I've invited the wife several times and I guess they just don't have time for that. I feel that it's weird that we own a house together and we haven't visited their apartment (they lived here before us so they know the layout of our place). I've asked them to please let us know if our dog barks during the hours when the husband sleeps after his night shifts, so why can't they just direct their kids to run not directly over Leo's bedroom when he sleeps. But I guess Leo is also a lighter sleeper than most. And it's not really a big deal. Just city living.
    Can you put a ceiling fan in his room? Maybe that would help mask some of the noise from above.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1 said:
    We have ToT at the nursing home at 3:30 (seriously a fucking goldmine, people) then the businesses from 4-6 then the homes from 6-8. I'm taking part of the afternoon off so we can all go to all of them.
    DH just sent me an email saying some people from work are taking their kids ToTing at the mall tonight because of the rain. We might do that but I'm worried it will be insane.
    @hmp1 I hear earlier that you could ToT at Publix (??? weird), and that they were doing the mall ToT at Green Hills and Cool Springs malls.

I worked there in high school/college. 40% everything? Hells yeah.

Add me to the list of former AE employees. Did anyone work there when we were required to wear baseball caps during the holiday season? I had a whole bunch of AE hats with either a Xmas tree or snowflake.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I worked at American Eagle for 4 years and LOVED black Friday.  I HATED working January because it was the month of returns.
     I HATED Dec 24 because they tried to make you come in for display changes so they'd have spring shit out Dec 26. Fuck that noise, it's Christmas eve.

I was always a totally B at Christmas gatherings during my AE employment years because of those stupid floor changes and Xmas eve mark downs. Either that or I was asleep and missed everything.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"