Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Where is your 13 month old with talking?

Hey all!  Just wondering where everyone's 13 month olds are with words?  Our LO is slow on everything, but I'm just wondering.
Little Man 1.8.11
Freshie Girl 9.29.12

Re: Where is your 13 month old with talking?

• My 13-month-old doesn't have any real words. But he talks the cutest gibberish!!
  • DD says dog (sounds like "da"), uh-oh, dada and mama (not consistently). That's it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Kids tend to be either verbal or physical.  I know DD1 didn't say much at this age, but was walking by now.  DD2 seems to have a lot more words, but she's not even standing up on her own unassisted just yet.  

• DS says "uh-oh" and will say "Roar" when we show him picture of lions. 

He says Dada, but we call DH "Papa" so it doesn't count.  He just started saying Mamamama, but I can't tell if he means me or not. 

DS babbles all the time, but the words aren't decipherable yet.  I'm not worried at this point. 

• At 13 months, DS said "dadadada" when he was happy, "mamama" when he was distressed, and grunted every time we pointed to a picture of a cow (so that counts as a "word").  That was it.  At 15.5 months, he now says book, duck, no, uh-oh, done, bubble and baby.  He started saying the majority of them in the last 2 weeks.
  • Mostly gibberish, but she says mama, dada, bye, hi, quack, dog and baby.
  • My 15 month doesn't say many words.  She says "Da-Da" but it means almost everything.  She says "Ma" for milk and she babbles all day long.
  • My DD is 13 months and babbles a TON but does not have what I would consider real words.  She does say mama and dada and sometimes they are in context, but sometimes they are not so who knows?  Her pedi was not concerned at all (we just saw him last week).  He just wanted to make sure she babbled and made noises that sound like words (mama and dada) and that she understood what we were saying to her, which she does.  If I say hi or bye bye she waves, if I asked her to bring me a book she does, etc.  I was concerned because it seems like everyone one here has babies that say a lot more but I keep reminding myself that all babies learn things at their own pace and in different orders, and that people tend to emphasis what their kids are doing early on this board so we see a lot of the advanced things and not as much of the average. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She babbles constantly and she now says 10-15 words/animal sounds clearly.
  • Wow, @mb314 we have the same kid. My 13.5 month old says "uh oh" and roars if you ask her what sound a lion makes. She also says dada. Anddddd that's it. She understands a lot, knows what various things are if you ask for them, and she babbles and has conversations constantly. Still waiting for that real first word though!
  • My LO is about 14 months now, but he hasn't gained a word in the last month.  He says dada, mum, dog (dah), cat (aaaat), uh oh, and can babble up a storm.
  • My DS is 13 months and has about 10- 15 words and babbles like crazy!  My DD was 18 months when she had her first word so comparing only gets you so far.  Babbling and imitating are the best thing to go by to decide if your child is lagging behind.  Even if my DS had no real words at this point I wouldn't be worried because he is always "talking".  My DD was almost completely silent except for "eh".  That was worrisome.   
  • At 13 months my DD babbled a lot and had probably 10 words or so that she said on occasion. It was when she hit 18 months that the word explosion really started and I can say it hasn't stopped. At 2 she is now saying short sentences and repeats EVERYTHING she hears!
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• ds says mama, dada, uh-oh, and what's that (obviously this one isn't 100% clear) consistently. Other words he has attempted/says on occasion, but isn't clear (we know what he is saying but someone else might not yet)....love you, fish, kitty, puppy, hi/hello, etc.  Once he started walking at 11.5 months and had that down he really took off verbally!
  • Ummm.. she says Daddy. That's about it.

• sorry, ds is 13 months as well!
  • My DD is 13 months and has about 12 words she uses consistently and will combine a few like up please. She will also copy a word if you say it 1st.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"