August 2013 Moms
Options

Spit Up

Hi ladies,

This might be a very dumb question, but I am feeling confused. I think my LO is going through a growth spurt. She has been eating like crazy. After she eats, she spits up but then acts like she is hungry again. She won't take the paci and cries until I feed her. Anyone else's LO want to eat right after he or she spits up from eating too much? I am going to bring this up to our pedi tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone is or has gone through this. It's been a rough day in our house: LO has been refusing to nap so she's super fussy, keeps eating only to keep spitting up, and has been rejecting all our efforts to put her to bed for the last 2 hours. Thank you 8 week growth spurt and wonder week.

Re: Spit Up

• Options
    There is a chance she has reflux. They eat because it makes the burn go away for a second, and then they spit up because the food causes more reflux. The fussiness is also a good sign of reflux.

Try keeping her sleeping on an incline like in a rock n play or swing for the night. Also, after feedings keep her upright for at least 30 minutes.

I hope that it is not the case, but it certainly sounds familiar - my first was a reflux baby.

• Options
    are you FF or BM?

I do have DS spit up (less than a teaspoon full) pretty often (usually after about 75% of feeds, sometimes randomly). Often it is when I am burping him. It doesn't seem to bother him, it just kind of drools down his chin.

I have also had DS "throw up", it wasn't violent like throw up, but it was way more than a spit up. I would guess it was at least an ounce or two of milk. This has only happened when I have "over fed" him. If he gets too much milk too fast, I noticed this would happen. It only happened a handful of times (maybe 4?). It was always when he was tired (at night) and I was engorged. I haven't noticed it lately, perhaps because he is older (better able to regulate) and I pay more attention to burping him between sides. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BellaOso - I don't think it's reflux. She's 8 weeks and this has only been going on today. Not to say she couldn't have developed it, but I think the fussiness is from not napping. She usually takes a 3 hour and 2 hour nap and she refused to take either today. It's been a weird day for her.
  • Options
    I certainly hope it isn't - for both of your sake. For DD1 reflux developed at exactly 8 weeks. DD2 so far does not have reflux.

• Options
    I hope it isn't reflux.. but that is what my LO was doing.. and was diagnosed with it. I agree with PP, try to keep your LO at an incline for at least 30 mins after each feeding. Good luck!
  • Options
    Alexis has minor reflux (our pedi said most babies do) and it's not enough to medicate. I don't feed her again because she'll just spit up again and I don't want to waste that milk. We try to keep her as still as possible and don't burp her. She'll burp herself and spit up at the same time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm thinking comfort nursing, if its not reflux. Just ride it out, it will get better. And if not and LO seems in pain talk to dr about reflux
  • Options
    My guess is comfort nursing. Looks like she just wants you mama! Not that stinkin Paci!! My LO went through this in her 8th week as well. Patience is key. I just made she she was full, dry, and we snuggled w her on my shoulder in case it was gas/reflux. Sometimes, she just cried- but atleast she was snuggled and loved while she cried. Deep breath- it will get better!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with pp. LO was really fussy and constantly eating for a couple of days when she turned 8 weeks. However, my LO was just diagnosed with reflux at 2 mo appt and will be on Zantac. My happy spitter was no longer happy and she is dropping in weight percentile.
  • Options
    My baby has AR and it sounds similar to what you are describing.  It started out that way and then progressed from there.  BUT, like you said, it may just be a growth spurt or an off few days.  I usually try to distract her first by playing with her, changing it up and putting her on the play mat, etc.  If that doesn't work, I make a 2 oz bottle and if she hangs on it, so be it.  At least I know she is happy and not in pain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"