1st Trimester
Options

Heartbeat on first ultrasound- reduced chance if miscarriage ?

Hi there,
We had our 1st ultrasound yesterday at 6 weeks 2 days. The heartbeat was strong and I was wondering if the chances of miscarriage are reduced at all after seeing it? This is my first pregnancy, I have pcos as well so I am extremely nervous all the time :( hoping for a perfect pregnancy.

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies
  • Options
    At this point your chance of having a healthy baby is much higher than your chance of having a miscarriage. Unfortunately it does happen, but after seeing a heartbeat the odds are in your favour.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    My dr told me that your chances of miscarriage does go down after there is a heartbeat. My last pregnancy he told me it is about 5% vs the 20% but this is also with me being of AMA.

It still happens but just try to relax and not stress about it.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    My doctor told me that she doesn't believe that a heart beat means much before 10 weeks. She said that after 10 weeks if there is a heartbeat the chance of miscarriage drops drastically.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was told after a HB is detected the rick drops to 5%
  • Options
  • Options
    I was also told that after seeing the heartbeat the risk drops significantly (I don't remember if I was told to 10% or 5%).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We saw the heart beat at 8 weeks and lost baby at 11w 4d with a MMC.  It's not very common though.  I do think the risk of loss after seeing the HB goes way down though.  Plus, there is nothing you can do to prevent a mc from happening so try to relax (Better said than done cause Lord knows I'm nervous 75% of the day).

BFP 10/1/2010 MMC D&C at 11w4d
    BFP 3/15/2011 M/C at 6w
    BFP 5/25/2011 DS1 born 1:11pm on 1/16/2012
    BFP 10/18/2013 EDD 6/28/2014 GROW BABY GROW!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @wolson1988 out of curiosity, were you also able to hear the heart beat?  Sorry about your losses - I had a MMC too.  
  • Options
    @crasian Nope, didn't hear it... Just saw it and it measured out at 156 bpm. Was told it was good and healthy.  Sorry about your mmc :-(  They are super hard to deal with.  I don't wish it upon anyone.

BFP 3/15/2011 M/C at 6w

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @wolson1988 Ugh that sucks.  I didn't see or hear anything with ours - we've been able to with this pregnancy though.  It's so hard just not knowing what's going on in there - I had no worrisome symptoms the first time and it's just so nerve-wracking!  
  • Options
    @crasian I had no worrysome symptoms with my mmc either.  I thought everything was perfect.  It took me a long time to get over that and somedays are still hard.  Plus all those memories come flooding back when you get another BFP. I thought it would be easier with baby 2 since I know I can have a healthy pregnancy but nope... Started spotting this morning (which I did with my son too) and immediately freaked the heck out and called the OB.  PgAL brain is the absolute worst!

BFP 3/15/2011 M/C at 6w

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @wolson1988 I'm sure you'll be fine - like you said, at least you are getting pregnant and you've had a healthy pregnancy!   I found out I had to have gallbladder surgery almost right after my D&C so that helped take my mind off it...we ran into a couple (the husband is my husband's coworker) at a halloween party this past weekend, which was sad and awkward because we had seen them at the gyno's with our first pregnancy and their child's already been born and was with them at the party (my husband told his coworker ours didn't make it).   It was just kind of a sad reminder of the first - but we're trying to stay as positive as possible!  Heartbeat is definitely a good sign so trying not to freak out :)  Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"