March 2014 Moms

I'm pretty sure I looked like one of those cartoon characters with steam coming out of my ears....

I know that we've had tonnnnnns of posts like this but---
Why why why do family members think it's ok to put their 2 cents in to what you are naming your child?!

We have FINALLY come up with two names for baby boy after knowing for almost a month what we are having this pregnancy.

So what do I do? Like an idiot, I post on Facebook our two choices. I did NOT in any way say "help us decide" or "give me your input". But I guess that's what I get for making it public information.

My aunt... Who I already want to unfriend bc of her 500 posts per day about rescue dogs that need to be adopted.
Before you flame me--- let me say that I have adopted two dogs so I am all for that. But she needs to make a seperate page for that bc when that is ALL you do on fb... It's a little extreme. Let the people who want to see those 500 posts per day add your new page. Just saying.

Anyways, my aunt comments on my names and says "oh honey. Never ever name a child Emmett. Just remember I love you. That is all"

What. The. Fuck?!

Short back story---She tries to make it all sweet by saying she loves me but she criticizes every. little. thing.

I just wanted to rant for a second... Lol

Re: I'm pretty sure I looked like one of those cartoon characters with steam coming out of my ears....

• Why don't you just hide her from your news feed on FB?  Then you don't have to delete her or see her 500 posts about adoptable dogs.  As for the name, I would just ignore her comment.  I had a friend once who's son was named Emmett and I was kind of an ass about it and was like "Emmett?!? seriously?  That's what you named your son?"  Turned out he was named after his father, who was dead (but not when he was born).  Didn't I look like the douche?  Who cares what she thinks?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • Rant heard!

Also you can hide her posts so you see nothing. On computer there is a little menu on the upper right of every post, click it and click hide posts from ____

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Loading the player...
  • An explanation as to why you should never name a child Emmett would've been nice! At first I was worried about sharing our LO's name and negative comments I might get, but then I developed a "Fuck them" attitude.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I guess I should edit that the only reason I haven't hidden her completely is because she lives with and is taking care of my grandma who has cancer. She posts if something is going on with her that I haven't heard yet...
  • You put two possible names for your baby on a website designed to show societal status and foster criticism...why are you surprised?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We got a little dose of that over the weekend with the family when we were just throwing out names we liked. Everyone had an opinion and most not so positive. After that and talking to some friends that went through the same thing, we've decided not to tell anyone the final name(s) we've chosen and just announcing it once the baby is born. 

Take that people with opinions! lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry that happened to you, but the golden rule when it comes to major decisions is to not give out your options, just announce the final decision.  When you give options you are inviting advice.  When you announce your final choice, people can't say much about it (well, some still will, but it won't be as bad).  As far as baby names go, I learned this the day we announced I was pregnant and everyone thought they should sit around and start brainstorming names.  I was like, um, no.  That's our job.  I haven't said a word since, and I won't until I'm announcing the actual name.  Family and friends have no room in that debate unless asked.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Reason # 500,086,336 that we will not be sharing LOs name until she's born.

Anniversary

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We find out the gender but keep the names a secret. Also another reason why we don't have fb pages!
  • I hate this! I haven't  posted anything on Facebook about the names because I want to avoid this. Our families know and my mom gave me a little bit of a hard time about one until I flipped out and started crying, lol. Shortly after I got a text apologizing and saying that it will grow on her and I can use whatever name I want.

Although, I did make the mistake of telling a few of my students even before we made any final decisions. I teach at a non-traditional college so these are adults not kids that I deal with. The name I said was my previous girl name which we are no longer even using and the one started cracking up and told me that it's the stupidest name she's ever heard and I would never really do that to my kid, right? I was so mad that day and now everything she does just annoys me. Could just be the hormones talking  :P

Janice
    Pregnancy Ticker imageimage">imageimageimage"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mother and sister like the name Matthew which is one of our top choices but the number one choice for the past 3 weeks is Jonathan. My mom won't say anything about it at all but my sister called just to tell me that they secretly love Matthew so much more but if we choose Jonathan she refuses to call him Jon bc of some guy she doesn't like. It's not my fault you have a bad association with the name and it's MY son not yours! Side note I really do love Matthew but it's my grandpas name and the only way we talk is on Facebook if I post a picture of my motorcycle, other than that he is not a part of my life and I just feel like it has a bad vibe in my head.

P.s I love the name Emmett.. It's really my number one choice but DH doesn't feel the same way. :(
    BabyName Ticker}
  • I hate this! I haven't  posted anything on Facebook about the names because I want to avoid this. Our families know and my mom gave me a little bit of a hard time about one until I flipped out and started crying, lol. Shortly after I got a text apologizing and saying that it will grow on her and I can use whatever name I want.

Although, I did make the mistake of telling a few of my students even before we made any final decisions. I teach at a non-traditional college so these are adults not kids that I deal with. The name I said was my previous girl name which we are no longer even using and the one started cracking up and told me that it's the stupidest name she's ever heard and I would never really do that to my kid, right? I was so mad that day and now everything she does just annoys me. Could just be the hormones talking  :P

How incredibly rude! Out of interest, share the name so we can all say it is NOT stupid!?!?!? Please?!!!!

And OP I think emmett is a great name.
    We named our DS zephyr and we most certainly did not tell anyone until he was born cos we knew we would get negativity. We like it so whatever! I also have a yannick and a xarafa in my extended family around the same age! Love it! X,y &z- actually born in that order!!!!
  • My parents love to tell me their opinions, my parents still tell me they don't like the name Addilyn, which is DD's name and their only grandchild. Which is so funny to me cause my mom goes off about how her parents hated my name, and then it turned into a very normal name...

For this pregnancy my parents were on opposite sides for our two name choices, we decided on Scarlett which my dad doesn't like and my mother loves...
  • Precisely why we aren't telling people. They can suck it if they don't like our names.
  • We told our baby boy's name, Damien, to family and friends... I wanted something that could be pronounce both in English for his family and French for mine! We were so happy! My family and his family as well. I only had one problem and it was with my friends and one of my siblings...

"Don't call him that!" "You're jinxing it by making him the devil child!!"

I was so shocked and didn't know what they were talking about! I've never watch the movie The Omen or apparently the name is in a tv show too.. ANYWAY! I kept telling them it was our choice and it's a name that means to us. A movie/show doesn't predict what my child will be in the future! We're still sticking with the name and love saying it when we talk about him <3:)
    DS - March 9th 2014 TTC #2 - May 2015 BFP - October 2015 EDD - July 7th 2016
  • This is exactly why we won't be sharing our name choices until after the baby is born. Both of our families are very vocal about their opinions and we just aren't interested in hearing them. It took awhile for me to convince DH that this was really the best approach, but now, after all the unsolicited advice we've already received, he totally gets it!

Me: Endo, PCOS, septated uterus (mostly removed)

DH: perfect

Started TTC in June 2011

Baby boy born 3/17/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"