January 2014 Moms

Water Consumption

I drink at least 64 ounces of water each day, plus at least an additional 20 ounces of milk. No coffee, soda, or juices of any kind. That has been fine this whole pregnancy. In the last week or so though, I've noticed that I am incredibly thirsty, no matter how much I drink. I passed my glucose test, so I wasn't thinking it was diabetes (that's a sign of diabetes, right?) I don't remember this happening with DD. I'm just wondering if my increased thirst is something I should be concerned about. I've had the same lifestyle and activity levels throughout the entire pregnancy. Any thoughts? How much are you drinking? Has your daily level increased at all over the course of your pregnancy?

Re: Water Consumption

• peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited October 2013
    Funny you should mention it, because I was just thinking the same thing this morning. I've noticed that my thirst increased tremendously over the past few days. And nothing has really changed (eta: diet or activity wise, I mean). I was more concerned about pre-e though.
  • Oddly enough, same goes for me (except I have not done my glucose test yet).
    It's gotten a lot colder where I live so we have our heat on and I think that is causing the air to be a lot dryer, and therefore I find myself more thirsty.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
    PgAL

• Loading the player...
  • I'm pretty sure for you to actually feel an increased thirst from high blood sugar it would have to be fairly high for a sustained period of time- so I'm sure you're fine on that front. But (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) I think your body replaces your amniotic fluid at least a couple times a day and I'd imagine as baby gets bigger the amount of fluid present gets larger? So I'd think that would require more liquid. Also last pregnancy when I had PTL issues related to dehydration it didn't happen until 29 weeks and I definitely had to drink way more after that to prevent contractions. So I think it might just be a natural progression with pregnancy. And I would think pre-e wouldn't make you feel more thirsty because the more you drink, the less likely you are to swell (I know that makes no sense)...but I have no experience with pre-e so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Long story short: I think it's normal:)

• I feel thirstier too, especially at night when I'm sleeping. I suck at drinking water. I probably don't drink as much as I should.
  • peanutmusepeanutmuse member
    edited October 2013
    ac1259 said:
    And I would think pre-e wouldn't make you feel more thirsty because the more you drink, the less likely you are to swell (I know that makes no sense)...but I have no experience with pre-e so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Long story short: I think it's normal:)
    @ac1259 -- whenever I've had bouts of hypertension over the past 10 years, one of the warning signals for me has been increased thirst.  It's really the only outward symptom that I've been able to detect that alerts me that something is off. That was the reason for my assumption about pre-e, since it's associated with hypertension.
  • ac1259 said:
    And I would think pre-e wouldn't make you feel more thirsty because the more you drink, the less likely you are to swell (I know that makes no sense)...but I have no experience with pre-e so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Long story short: I think it's normal:)
    @ac1259 -- whenever I've had bouts of hypertension over the past 10 years, one of the warning signals for me has been increased thirst.  It's really the only outward symptom that I've been able to detect that alerts me that something is off. That was the reason for my assumption about pre-e, since it's associated with hypertension.
    @peanutmuse- that makes sense! I had never heard of anyone having increased thirst associated with hypertension. My BP always runs low so I have no experience with higher blood pressure. Good to know!

• sugarland726sugarland726 member
    edited October 2013
    I just went to preeclampsia.org and it doesn't mention anything about excessive thirst being a potential sign. Lots of Dr. Google links mention GD, and while I didn't pass with flying colors, I did pass. Nothing really conclusive other than that though. I have noticed that I am waaaay hotter than anyone else lately. Going out to the car in only the upper 30s in the morning feels amazing instead of freezing.

• I just went to preeclampsia.org and it doesn't mention anything about excessive thirst being a potentail sign. Lots of Dr. Google links mention GD, and while I didn't pass with flying colors, I did pass. Nothing really conclusive other than that though. I have noticed that I am waaaay hotter than anyone else lately. Going out to the car in only the upper 30s in the morning feels amazing instead of freezing.
    I'm doing my GTT tomorrow, so I don't really have any input on that side.
  • I'm way more thirsty than I was, but I thought maybe it was because of running hot (Internally) or maybe because we are running out furnace and its a bit drier in our house?
  • I've been very thirsty before bed or right away when I get up and I think it's because we have the heat on in our house now.  Our bedroom is incredibly dry.  My water consumption sucks...and I know it does but I can't help and have a little pity party since my left foot is ginormously swollen right now to the point that the swelling has traveled up and you can't see the calf muscle definition anymore.  So now I am literally chugging water.
    TI w/Clomid 12/16, 1/17, 2/17
    OB ordered SA 2/17 and referred to RE for MFI - Low Count/Motility
    DH Varicocele repair 6/17. 
    9/17 SA: count improved
    TI w/Letrozole 9/17, 10/17
    IUI#1 11/17 BFN
    IUI#2 Christmas day :'( Canceled due to low count/poor sample  :'(
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: 3/18 BCP, Lupron down reg, Follistim 300IU, LDHCG 10units, Lupron 5units, Ovidrel trigger on 3/18. ER 3/21
    8 retrieved, 5 mature, 3 smaller no fertilization w/IVF. 3/5 fertilized w/ICSI. Day 5 Fresh transfer scheduled 3/26 or day3 on Saturday if any arrest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same here.  I have been consistently drinking 64 oz/day, but recently started feeling dehydrated.  I'm trying to force myself to drink more even though I don't really feel like it.  I passed my GTT with a comfortable margin so I don't think it's that.
  • LuGal623 said:
    I've been very thirsty before bed or right away when I get up and I think it's because we have the heat on in our house now.  Our bedroom is incredibly dry.  My water consumption sucks...and I know it does but I can't help and have a little pity party since my left foot is ginormously swollen right now to the point that the swelling has traveled up and you can't see the calf muscle definition anymore.  So now I am literally chugging water.
    @LuGal623 why is your foot swollen?  My OB told me not to worry too much about edema as long as both feet were swelling at the same rate, she said if only one said was swelling she wanted me to call in.  
    I can't wait to meet you Neva Margaret Rebecca
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have noticed an increased thirst level the past week or so, and I passed my one hour. I feel like it comes and goes.
  • @LuGal623 is your leg sore at all? Is it like a white normal looking swollen or is the leg pinkish in color? I'd agree with @twobluelines I'd probably call about one leg swelling if the other isn't.

• LuGal623 said:
    I've been very thirsty before bed or right away when I get up and I think it's because we have the heat on in our house now.  Our bedroom is incredibly dry.  My water consumption sucks...and I know it does but I can't help and have a little pity party since my left foot is ginormously swollen right now to the point that the swelling has traveled up and you can't see the calf muscle definition anymore.  So now I am literally chugging water.
    @LuGal623 why is your foot swollen?  My OB told me not to worry too much about edema as long as both feet were swelling at the same rate, she said if only one said was swelling she wanted me to call in.  
    I asked about it at my last appointment and the nurse told me that as long as there wasn't pain in that leg, blurry vision, and headache that it wasn't a worry.  But I'm honestly freaking about it today since it's the worst I've had.  Granted my right foot is a little swollen but nowhere near the left.
    TI w/Clomid 12/16, 1/17, 2/17
    OB ordered SA 2/17 and referred to RE for MFI - Low Count/Motility
    DH Varicocele repair 6/17. 
    9/17 SA: count improved
    TI w/Letrozole 9/17, 10/17
    IUI#1 11/17 BFN
    IUI#2 Christmas day :'( Canceled due to low count/poor sample  :'(
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: 3/18 BCP, Lupron down reg, Follistim 300IU, LDHCG 10units, Lupron 5units, Ovidrel trigger on 3/18. ER 3/21
    8 retrieved, 5 mature, 3 smaller no fertilization w/IVF. 3/5 fertilized w/ICSI. Day 5 Fresh transfer scheduled 3/26 or day3 on Saturday if any arrest.

• I haven't been any more thirsty but I drink about 80 - 90oz of water per day. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm so glad you posted this because I really thought it was just me. Last night I chugged a whole bottle of water right before bed. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and found myself back at the fridge to get more water. Then I woke up this morning and felt like I still had dry mouth and had to drink more water. Our heat isn't on currently but I still feel like the house is dry and I need to drink constantly.

image     image

• I've suddenly been a lot more thirsty in the past week or so. I can't seem to get enough water.

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

• I have been insanely thirsty too! It's like I can't get enough water (i like mine ice cold)  I drink about 80 oz and about 16oz of milk per day... I do drink coffee/soda/juice/tea  I try to limit it to just 8 oz when I do drink it

I actually have a doctors appointment today, so I will be asking my doctor if I need to be concerned about it. 

• I've noticed basically the same thing.  I drink anywhere from 80-100 oz of water and one can of diet pop/day.  I find myself dying (I'm dramatic) of thirst by the time I get home from work.  I don't remember this either with DD, but I didn't feel that it was anything to be concerned with at this point.

Jan '14 Siggy Challenge: Things I've had to deprive myself of while pregnant:

imageimage

Rum & Coke...mmm!!                                              Laying on my stomach!  Can't wait!

• edited October 2013
    I am usually not a big drinker. Usually two pops a day when not pregnant. I know....some people smoke, some drink alcohol, I like fountain coke. This pregnancy I've carried a jug of water around with me all the time. I literally feel parched. My sugar was ok at 14 weeks. I take my GTT tomorrow so hopefully its not that. Though it has crossed my mind. I only passed with my son by 2 points.

Edit auto correct I hate you

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

• I'm blaming the dry winter air for my increased thirst.

Also, there are a lot of non-scary pregnancy things that can make you thirsty. Like when your body increases blood volume, or amniotic fluid volume. I wouldn't worry too much unless you have other symptoms.

DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• I am constantly thirsty. I drink 10 to 14, 16 oz. glasses of water a day, and it still doesn't feel like enough.

Baby Lexi: BFP: May 12, 2013 (Mother's Day), EDD: January 21, 2014
  • I feel thirstier too, especially at night when I'm sleeping. I suck at drinking water. I probably don't drink as much as I should.

This.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"