January 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone dealt with hand, foot and mouth disease before?

loreeann86loreeann86 member
edited October 2013 in January 2013 Moms
Took DD to the Drs Monday for a fever over 24hrs, refusing to nurse or eat then a rash appeared on feet. The dr was lost at first as to what it was cause the rash is covering a lot of her body, but when she looked in her mouth she had sores on her tongue and blisters on throat. She said there's nothing she can take to make it better, just force fluids because dehydration is a big concern and appt was over. Since the appt I've been trying to get ahold of a nurse to ask about using lotions, taking a bath using diaper rash cream. And can not get through, just a VM
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone dealt with hand, foot and mouth disease before?

• Options
    (Realized my phone only posted half) the rash is even covering her bottom and private area. The rash hasn't seemed to bother her yet, except for diaper changes, but now it's turning into sores all over (I was told it would blister)
  • Options
    Okay, I don't know why my phone wont post whole thing. Sorry this is an annoying post. Here's the rest  8-}

She's also cutting 4 teeth and chewing on fingers, which is concerning me because the rash on hands is turning into sores. I was told this will last a week, seems like a long time :( Thankfully she is still a pretty happy baby and is wanting to nurse again. Just curious if other mommas have gone through this and if anything seemed to help...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes and no
    one day dd woke up with a temp of 101.4 but we sent her to dc anyway since their rules are 102....but she was there for a few hours and they said we had to pick her up.....so she went to my sister's and it spiked to 103 so i took her to the dr
    she didn't have any rash on her hands or feet, but did on the back of her throat...she didn't take the bottle too much prob because it hurt to swallow/suck....so the dr said it was the handfootmouth even though it was just in the back of her throat...he said to alternate between tylenol and motrin....because they can be overlapped....so every 6 hours it was tylenol and every 8 hours was motrin...her temp was down to 99 the next morning....
    after talking to another dr in the practice, he didn't think it was handfootmouth...
    so, i don't know
    but they said tylenol and motrin...it'll help with the fever and help with sore throat for swallowing
    also right after that she was having really bad poops....and got really bad diaper rash that started to blister....changing her was horrific....then the dr suggested cortisone for the bad blisters under the triple paste and it helped and cleared up
    i'm sure none of this helped really, but i would see about giving her something to help with the fever and discomfort...i'm surprised your dr didn't suggest that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks, for the advice! I did give her Tylenol and Motrin for fever, thankfully her fever hasn't come back. And read online that Tylenol and Motrin will help with the pain from rash/blisters. The dr we saw didn't tell us anything besides there's nothing that can be done, it was annoying. I hate when we don't get to see her dr. I'll have to look for the triple paste and cortisone. All we have is desitin.
  • Options
    when i got the cortisone (at target) it was near the pharmacy and the guy there suggested i get half strength and the dr said to only use twice a day...it def helped with her blisters...she was bleeding when we would wipe her....
    i hope she feels better soon!  

• Options
    Awesome, thanks so much! Going to target in a little bit.
  • Options
    Will she wear mitts? Might help her hands a bit. As for the rest what pp said is good. I hope it clears up quickly!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know if she will or not, I'm hoping yes. Was going to look for a pair of those at Target too. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"