March 2014 Moms

PSA: Moby Wrap on BabySteals.com

https://baby.steals.com/

37% off retail...
Nickie
Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

Re: PSA: Moby Wrap on BabySteals.com

• What are your thoughts on this? I used the Bjorn last time, but used it fairly infrequently. I would like to have something better for this LO since I feel like I will be using it more often since I will also have to wrangle DD while carrying DS. The Bjorn also killed my back, and DD was tiny! Is this a good one to use? Im trying to figure out which direction to go!
  • NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited October 2013
    clo1982 said:
    What are your thoughts on this? I used the Bjorn last time, but used it fairly infrequently. I would like to have something better for this LO since I feel like I will be using it more often since I will also have to wrangle DD while carrying DS. The Bjorn also killed my back, and DD was tiny! Is this a good one to use? Im trying to figure out which direction to go!
    Moby wraps are FANTASTIC for newborn stage. They are very snuggle and use stretchy material. You can also pre-tie with a moby (also with a woven wraps on some carries) so that will be easy to pop and go with a toddler. You CANNOT do a back carry with a stretchy wrap/moby. Some cons that I hear about Moby's are... they run hot, and that they only last until around 20lbs when they start to sag... however I have mothers who have used a Moby for long age periods without any issues. I used the moby for a small bit with DS, however switched over to a woven pretty quickly due to heat. (He was born in May) However, woven wraps are around $100-$200 this is only $30 and will give you an idea of if you enjoy wrapping/babywearing or not.

If you are looking at a SSC... for the newborn phase would be a bit difficult. They do have infant inserts, but when I help new mothers with this. I personally don't really like how it supports the baby... however it is safe.

I would get the moby if the baby and you are enjoying babywearing then invest in a woven or a SSC later... is my thoughts. Because SSC can fit differently by each brand... so once you have the baby here it will help with finding out what is comfortable and which one is not. I would contact a local babywearing group.

Used Moby wraps go for around $25 on the resale market... Just FYI.
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Loading the player...
  • ceh789ceh789 member
    edited October 2013
    @nickiechan any knowledge about the k'tan compared to moby? I've read that moby can be harder to wrap for a plus size person (pre-pregnancy I was an 18/20) so I was planning to get the k'tan since it comes in sizes. This is a good deal, but I'd rather spend $20 more if it's not going to fit me. Eta: this would be for newborn carrying for me - I've ordered a Tula SSC for once she's older
  • NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited October 2013
    ceh789 said:
    @nickiechan any knowledge about the k'tan compared to moby? I've read that moby can be harder to wrap for a plus size person (pre-pregnancy I was an 18/20) so I was planning to get the k'tan since it comes in sizes. This is a good deal, but I'd rather spend $20 more if it's not going to fit me. Eta: this would be for newborn carrying for me - I've ordered a Tula SSC for once she's older
    Both the k'tan and moby uses jersey material which is stretchy. The moby comes to 5.5m which if I would recommend a woven wrap for you it would be a size 7 which is 5.2m. So I do feel you will have enough length with the Moby to do all carries. One of the downsize of the moby that people complain about is that it is overwhelming with fabric for smaller build mamas.... The Baby K'Tan is very limited on what you can do with them in regards to tightening... which is why you need to make sure you get the correct size. They also can be kind of confusing at first. (I had to read and re-read the instruction many times before understand it... ) However, there are mamas who really like their K'tan. For resale thinking... The Moby would resell faster then a baby k'tan since you don't have a specific size.

Here is a good link that talks about Plus Size Moms and babywearing.
    https://plussizebirth.com/2012/04/babywearing-for-the-plus-size-mom.htm

This blog was written by a online friend...
    https://www.themaidenmetallurgist.com/2013/03/12/plus-sized-babywearing/
    Nickie

• I love my k'tan. It's much easier to use than the moby because it just goes on like a shirt and there is no excess fabric to fuss with. i really never had an issue with the size - their chart was right on for me. it was a bit snug the first wear, but it has a little stretch and then you can always wash it to tighten it back up. it was by far my fave carrier, especially for newborn. if you have an ssc for when they're bigger, it a great choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"