August 2013 Moms

@carrotcake06

You mentioned in the nipple flow post that your boys also drink their bottles pretty quickly...

Nicholas chugs the thing in 10 minutes flat and doesn't seem frustrated but he does collapse the nipple a few times each feeding.  I pop it out, let it spring back up and give it back to him.  Do your boys collapse the nipple as well?

I'm scared to go up a size since he doesn't seem frustrated yet when I look it up everyone says that collapsing the nipple = next size up... Just curious if you were going through this as well...

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
My baby is ONE!!

Re: @carrotcake06

• I'm interested in this answer too.. my LO does this a few times with each bottle feeding... :)
  • @v&g101808, I'm not sure since they really only get bottles now when I'm at work. I'll have to ask my sister (she takes care of them during the day most days) if she's noticed that.

Am I remembering correctly that you EP? The reason I'm hesitant to move up nipple sizes is that when we bf, they get frustrated when the flow slows (my letdown is fast) and I don't want to exacerbate that by moving up nipple sizes. But if you EP, then you may be able to.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah - I EP so the breast flow isn't much of an issue for me.  I'm just nervous of him drinking any faster. 

I have some medium flow nipples from the 8oz bottles I bought, maybe I'll give them a try tonight...

My baby is ONE!!

• Also, what bottles do you use?

We were using Medela bottles for a bit but then switched to Dr Browns and the mechanism in there slowed them down considerably. They still drink fast, but it did slow a bit and they had less gas.

I'd give it a shot and see how he does. Babies do get more efficient as they get older. 10 min is super quick, but by 6mo w my oldest, he was nursing in less than 15min.

• V&G101808V&G101808 member
    edited October 2013

We use Medela bottles.  I bought Dr. Browns because he had a short period of time where he was having gas issues but we had to buy level 2 nipples for the Dr. Browns because he got super frustrated on their level 1s.

I've read that Medela slow flow are pretty fast compared to other brands "slow flow" so he's used to a pretty fast flow...

Edit: We stopped using the Dr. Browns because his gas problems disappeared and it was a PITA to clean all those parts ;)

My baby is ONE!!

• Total pita to clean all those parts! They get 3 bottles each while I'm at work and it's like an explosion of plastic in my sink when I come home every day. Between that and pump parts, we had to clear a shelf in our kitchen cabinets off to accommodate all the bottle stuff.

I ended up buying enough bottles to last 3 days and pump parts for two days. So many little plastic parts. Plus the big one still uses sippy cups. It's out of control!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"