July 2014 Moms

First time!

It's my first time pregnant. Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first doctors visit? Is it just blood work? Just ultrasound? What else? I'm already nervous!

Re: First time!

• Im having a partial pelvic exam and an ultrasound. You usually have to pee in a cup and give blood.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • It really depends on your particular office. Mine has you come in for an initial confirmation of pregnancy (I think just urine, but they might draw blood). Some don't want you to come until like 8 or so weeks and might do some kind of ultrasound. I didn't have an ultrasound until the anatomy scan at like 18 weeks. 

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I did a urine sample, blood work, a vaginal ultrasound to date the pregnancy and a pap smear (even though I had already had one that year). Like PP said, every doctor is different. You could call the office and just ask them what to expect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • for mine we aren't supposed to come until 8 weeks and then they do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy and see if it is on track (so be prepared - it's not the belly ultrasound, they actually stick a phallic device into you, sorry if TMI). It will probably be your first glimpse of baby, so exciting!

• At my 8 week mark I will go in for an abdominal ultrasound and speak with the nurse practitioner. They will probably take my urine also since they do that every. single. appointment.

• Is 8 weeks the earliest the doctor will see you?
  • 8 weeks is the earliest mine said they would see me. I just made my appointment on Monday and they scheduled me November 25. It seems so far away!!
  • My OB likes to see you between 7 and 9 weeks. They'll take my urine and take a looksee with the dildo cam. Can't remember if I got blood work or if that was at 12 weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband and I have been trying since we got married in June. We decided last month that we were going to stop trying because I have a bad hip issue that needed to be fixed. Well, We just took a pregnancy test on Sunday because I was late and I was supposed to get X-Rays on Wednesday and guess what...It was positive. I will be 5 weeks tomorrow and couldn't be happier! Yes, this mean I can't get my hip fixed yet (I have a tear in my labium that keeps catching on my joint) but it means that my dream of becoming a mom is finally coming true. I met with my dr yesterday and he told me that it should be a problem...yes I may have some discomfort but the hormones may help that. So we will see. Can't wait to meet this little bugger!

Even though I'm only 5 weeks I was hoping to have a few more symptoms. Right now I'm just going off the at home pregnancy tests (I took 5). I have an appointment with my OBGYN for a blood test to see my "levels" (not sure what she meant by that) are. I mean my boobs are sore and I have some random on-off cramping but no morning-sickness or anything yet. I'm assuming that's normal.

We are thinking that we are going to start telling people after that appointment. It's so hard to keep my mouth shut. We bought these little cards with a picture of my husband and I on the front and on the inside we put "card: $1.00, envelope: $0.05, postage: $0.46, the look on your face when you realize there are 3 of us in the picture instead of 2...PRICELESS!" Thought that was cute.

How is everyone else planning on spreading the news?
  • My OB likes to see you between 7 and 9 weeks. They'll take my urine and take a looksee with the dildo cam. Can't remember if I got blood work or if that was at 12 weeks.
    I love that you refer to it as a dildo cam! LOL

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"