September 2013 Moms
Options

Wedding Vent, NBR and very long

SO has been awesome about giving me his input and really caring about planning our wedding. We are just getting things figured out and we finally decided where we were going to have the ceremony and reception, we had it narrowed down to 2 resorts about 3.5 hours from where we live. We both love the area, SO went to college in the area and I have been going there since I was a kid at least once a year, it's also where we have always went for vacations and where we first said we loved each other. Needless to say there is a lot of meaning there, I didn't even want anything to do with wedding planning until we talked about this. Since this is so special to us I actually started to get really excited about it and my stress about the planning was fading away.

SO's family is huge and my family is incredibly small, meaning he will be inviting probably 150 people and I will maybe have 20. After inviting friends we will probably have 200 guests. We know there is a chance that not all of those people will come because it would be 3.5 hours away but we know the people who we really care about being there will come. So we talked to SO's mom tonight to see if she could help us with their family guest list and try to help us figure out who would likely come so we could get a better idea and compare pricing between the two resorts we were looking at. SO's parents had very generously offered to help us pay for our wedding as well as covering the flowers and decorations since SO's mom owns a flower shop. His mom has been hounding us about planning this so I thought she would be excited that we made progress. Unfortunately, the first thing she said was, "it looks like a beautiful place but I'm going to tell you everything that's wrong with it." This was after she has been telling me that it was our wedding and we could do whatever we chose to do.

She is dead set that we need to have it in our home town so that we aren't inconveniencing anyone. She said that it was going to be a pain in the ass for her to bring flowers up there and she was annoyed that it wouldn't be easier for her. We told her we didn't care what flowers she chose so she could do whatever would look nice and last longer and she got upset and said that I would care. She told me I would care about having a lot of people there and I would want a lot of people around me, I told her I didn't want that at all and she wouldn't listen. She kept trying to make us feel bad saying which people wouldn't go because it was too far (they were all people SO didn't even know or hasn't seen since he was a child) and then she would flip the other way and say that we shouldn't try to have a small wedding and run away because everyone in his family would still go, they would just be very inconvenienced. She kept going on and on about how everyone would ask why the hell we were doing this and kept saying she wished I would have gone to some of their other family weddings so that I would "get it" and understand why this was such a big deal. She was acting like I was a leper because I was inviting so few people and couldn't understand why I didn't have more people to ask to come. She even said she knew my parents couldn't afford to help us pay for this so they would end up having to pay for everything. I couldn't believe how upset and disappointed she was, she kept saying we could do what we want but then she'd keep going with how awful it was and bring up money again.

She acted like everything that I cared about was ridiculous just because it was different from what everyone else in the family does. I feel like a piece of shit, I didn't stand up for myself like I should have. SO was not there for most of this conversation (neither of us thought it would turn into this) so I had to tell him what happened. He felt horrible that his mom made me feel that way, I've been crying about it all night. I don't want them giving us any money at all anymore. We were going to pay for a good amount of this but we knew they were going to give us some money and we would need that to have a wedding like the one we want. I can't do it though, I can't take their money knowing she is totally against all of it. I asked SO if we could just legally get married (courthouse) and then have the ceremony we want once we have the money for it or we could just do something really small where we want to and let people be upset about not being invited. SO said he would be happy doing anything, he just wanted to be married and for me to have the wedding I care about. I was actually really excited to have this for us and now I don't want to even think about weddings ever again, I feel miserable that I lost all enthusiasm about this and I feel stupid for letting it get to me so bad.

Thank you if you read through all that, I just needed to get that out.

Re: Wedding Vent, NBR and very long

• Options
    Nukke said:
    Don't take her money. She clearly believes she has a right to voice her unsolicited opinion and this probably has a lot to do with the fact that she's giving you guys this money. Have the wedding YOU want but pay for it yourselves. From now in have your SO deal with his mother. If she starts talking down to you about some plans you've both decided on, simply sat, "thanks for your input, but this is not up for discussion."
    Exactly, this is our plan. SO made it clear that he would deal with her from now on and he was perfectly fine not taking any money from them. I feel relieved that we are on the same page because, really, that's all that matters but I'm so disappointed that his mom did this. I've never seen this side of her, I think that's what upset me the most.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this...maybe you should elope to a beach and just have a reception at home? That's what I would do, if I could do it all over again! It totally sounds like she is trying to hijack your special day!
  • Options
    I agree with pp don't take her money...do what you can with the money that you have and at the end of the day it will make you happy. You will never be able to please everyone, so just do it for you even if it's a small one. My SO and I are also planning our wedding and my guest list is also pretty small compared to his. I've decided well plan it the way we want it and the people who love us and care for us will be there and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    We got married in Vegas. (Wedding in Vegas not a "Vegas wedding")

I would do it all over again. People didn't feel inconvenienced by the travel they wanted to be there. It's a wedding not a subpoena. Your MIL seems like mine.

My ILs kind of threw a fit about not having a wedding in my H's hometown so they insisted on a reception there. I told them they could do whatever they wanted but I wouldn't be able to help with the planning process (since we didn't even want it anyway).

It gave my MIL something to do (and control of something I didn't really care about) and she was out of my hair.

PS the reception she threw was incredibly tacky and awful but my wedding was stress free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I were happy to accept my IL's offer to help pay for our wedding at first. It felt like a financial relief since we just bought a house. I even invited her to pick out my dress with me. I tried very hard to have her be a part of everything because I wanted her to be (not because she wanted to give us money). Well, that all changes when I made a decision that she didn't want. She told me that she would be doing X,Y, and Z for my wedding and that was final. We literally were yelling at each other in a restaurant. It would have been embarrassing if I wasn't so angry. After that we moved the venu out of state and told her and FIL that we resfused any financial help. If they wanted to give us money it could be our wedding gift but we wanted nothing from them and our wedding was our wedding not MIL's. We still aren't close to this day all because of the wedding planning.

Please don't stress about your in laws. They will have their own opinion and will feel entitled to it as long as they are giving you money. Don't give them that power. You should either come up with an alternative wedding that you can afford or wait to have your dream wedding when it is financially possible. Trust me when I tell you that it doesn't matter what your wedding is like you are always going to look fondly on it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I am sorry you had that experience with FMIL. It seems that wedding planning can bring out the worst in people. Just plan the wedding you want. Who cares if his third cousins don't attend! Lol my MIL was crazy when we planned our wedding also. She wanted to invite everyone she's ever known. Stand strong and don't let her control things. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Toby, my furry baby
  • Options

We got married in Vegas. (Wedding in Vegas not a "Vegas wedding")

I would do it all over again. People didn't feel inconvenienced by the travel they wanted to be there. It's a wedding not a subpoena. Your MIL seems like mine.

My ILs kind of threw a fit about not having a wedding in my H's hometown so they insisted on a reception there. I told them they could do whatever they wanted but I wouldn't be able to help with the planning process (since we didn't even want it anyway).

It gave my MIL something to do (and control of something I didn't really care about) and she was out of my hair.

PS the reception she threw was incredibly tacky and awful but my wedding was stress free.

I love this, we had actually talked before about Vegas as well. But if we get married on Lake Superior like we want to we could do the same thing, invite the people we want and let her plan the reception in our hometown. This is a great idea, the ceremony is for us and that's what we care about but I couldn't care less if she wanted to plan a reception.

@happybride 276, thank you, I need to stop caring what she thinks because I don't want it to end up in a fight. I actually really like her so this whole thing was just gross to me. And you're exactly right, regardless of how choose to have the wedding we're going to be happy with it in the end.
  • Options
    Maybe narrow down the guest list on SO's side to people that SO is actually is close with since you are now planning on paying for everything yourselves and then give the ok for his mom to do a reception in town if she wants.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Your situation is exactly why I am glad that my husband and I paid for our entire wedding.  My advice would be to not take any money from them and do the wedding that you want and are able to on your own.  It's your day and you and your SO should do what you want, not what someone else is guilting you in to.  I'm sorry she made you feel that way - that sucks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ugh, that stinks. I'd just politely tell thanks for the offer to pay, but you and your FI have a particular vision for what you want, so you'll be taking care of it financially. I do like the offer for them to do a reception.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Options
    Ugh, that sucks, I'm sorry!  DH and I got married at our college, 2 hours from my hometown, 4 from DH's, and 5 from where we were currently living.  My mom wasn't thrilled, but it meant a lot to us, and honestly, I was glad it cut down our guest list (only 50% of the people we invited came).  I'd say have the wedding you want but just cut way down on the guest list to make it more affordable.

BFP #1 8/14/10, DS born 4/30/11 
    BFP #2 9/30/12, M/C 10/23/12 
    BFP #3 12/16/12, CP 12/20/12 
    BFP #4 1/20/13, DD born 10/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"