June 2014 Moms

UO Thursday

What is your Unpopular Opinion? 

Mine: I don't care about Halloween - at all. We didn't even buy DS a costume until last night. For me, it's about the candy and that's about it. Despite the fact that my work is going all out - I didn't even bother to dress up in the slightest today. 

Re: UO Thursday

• I don't plan on vaccinating my child. If I do it will be minimal. 

I don't care about Halloween either...especially if I can't go out to the bar lol. 

Lilypie - (4j0O)

Follow us at Caring Bridge 

• I can't on ^^

I'm with you on Halloween! I'm excited to pass out candy only because the kids get so excited, but I could skip it and be ok.
  • Loading the player...
  • I couldn't care less about Halloween, either. We aren't even passing out candy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• shiggybop said:
    I don't plan on vaccinating my child. If I do it will be minimal. 

I don't care about Halloween either...especially if I can't go out to the bar lol. 
    I hope you change your mind. Not vaccinating is a really bad choice for not only your child but also for the welfare of all the children that come into contact with yours. What is your reasoning @supgabs ?
    If vaccinations work so well why would vaccinated children be at risk from coming into contact with mine? 
    My reasoning is I am not interested in injecting my children with aluminum, thimerosal, mercury, etc etc

Lilypie - (4j0O)

• I think Obama care is actually going to be a GOOD thing for my family. I am on an individual insurance plan that does not have a maternity policy, nor can I get on one before the new healthcare system goes into effect. (Trust me, I have tried - and well before I became pregnant!!!) I already pay a small fortune for a healthy family of 3 to have ok coverage, so really, I don't see it getting much worse, at least for us. And, while I realize it is not the best direction for our country as a whole, I may be one of the few who will actually benefit.

Pregnancy Ticker

• shiggybop said:
    I think the ACA had way too many bugs and issues to have been passed. Is it great that everyone is now eligible for insurance? Yeah, but there are still a number of people who can't afford the plan prices, and people who are getting screwed out of their insurance plans and being forced to pay for more expensive ones. It was great in theory, but the reality is it's not this wonderful fix-all.
    I agree with the bugs, but I think that it can be developed in a truly wonderful program. I think all change on this big of a scale is going to have kinks and hang ups, but it's worth it to fix and work out.

I agree with this statement, @shiggybop

• shiggybop said:
    shiggybop said:

I hope you change your mind. Not vaccinating is a really bad choice for not only your child but also for the welfare of all the children that come into contact with yours. What is your reasoning @supgabs ?
    If vaccinations work so well why would vaccinated children be at risk from coming into contact with mine? 
    My reasoning is I am not interested in injecting my children with aluminum, thimerosal, mercury, etc etc
    Uh so you're interested in polio, mumps and rubella that have been scientifically proven to be dangerous/deadly instead of vaccines which are much safer than catching these diseases? Solid logic. And vaccines are not 100% effective, but I'll take 85% over 0%. Science yo
    Polio has been pretty much eradicated in the US.  I may or may not give my child the MMR vaccine. I have not decided on that one yet. 

Lilypie - (4j0O)

• supgabs said:

supgabs said:

I don't understand the concept of not vaccinating your child. Why would you NOT want your child to get a certain illness?

Last year I did not get my son a flu shot and when he got the flu for the second time and developed double pneumonia and didn't have enough strength to get out of bed I felt like the worst mother in the world, because it's my job to make sure he's protected.

I don't understand the concept of vaccinating a 1 day old baby for Hep B. Is my infant going to be having sex or shooting heroin in the first years of life? Doubtful. 

If you want vaccinate your child, more power to you. But I will be very careful with what is injected into my infant. 

Are you just saying that you are going to delay them or not do them at all?

I have nothing against delaying them. We actually did that with both my sons. My second son we delayed until he was over a year old, because at the time my mom was dying of cancer and going through chemo. My pediatrician thought this would be best at the time for my moms sake just in case and it wouldn't effect my son in any way.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • MNmomofQMNmomofQ member
    edited October 2013
    supgabs said:
    shiggybop said:
    shiggybop said:

Uh so you're interested in polio, mumps and rubella that have been scientifically proven to be dangerous/deadly instead of vaccines which are much safer than catching these diseases? Solid logic. And vaccines are not 100% effective, but I'll take 85% over 0%. Science yo
    Polio has been pretty much eradicated in the US.  I may or may not give my child the MMR vaccine. I have not decided on that one yet. 
    I take back my previous comment this is the worst logic ever. We live in an world were people from every come and go, don't think because something is not here now it is never coming back. 

"Seriously, it’s like we’re the velociraptors at the end of Jurassic Park circling our prey, and then the Bumpie tyrannosaurs come in and tear some **** up. Except instead of killing us, they eat Joseph Mazzello."-GOMI
  • AandJ28AandJ28 member
    edited October 2013
    @saltypearl - My company does the same thing! UW is the only charity that we are allowed to support (in the office and amongst our functional teams). They spend a crazy amount of money encouraging people to donate and I do not agree with so much of UW. I choose not to donate and always feel as though my manager knows and judges me for it. I donate to other charities throughout the year where I know my $/donations will truly be felt.

Edit: I am not saying UW is not a good organization. It's a personal choice for me to not donate. I know that they DO a lot of good in communities. 

• shiggybop said:
    shiggybop said:

Polio has only been eradicated because of vaccines.
    So...why should I have to vaccinate against something that has been eradicated? 

Lilypie - (4j0O)

• flerlgirl said:
    I think watching sports and getting so invested in how your team does is a waste of time and kind of silly. THERE I SAID IT. 
    DH is a big sports fan.  I care once in a while - I just don't have the energy for it either :)

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • supgabs said:
    shiggybop said:
    shiggybop said:

Polio has only been eradicated because of vaccines.
    So...why should I have to vaccinate against something that has been eradicated? 
    It's only eradicated because people vax against it. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Oh wait is polio now a vaccine that kids have to get again?

Fucking bump!!!!
  • there's one in every crowd. Unfortunately. Herd immunity ftw.

There is a large community of people who don't vaccinate for religious reasons near where I live. An epidemic goes trough the community one or twice every five years and it is tragic. Because their community is active in our city we don't have the added protection of herd immunity, and DH and I are extra diligent in keeping our vaccinations up-to-date. Same goes for LO when he or she gets here.

• I don't plan on vaccinating my child. If I do it will be minimal. 

I don't understand the concept of not vaccinating your child. Why would you NOT want your child to get a certain illness? Last year I did not get my son a flu shot and when he got the flu for the second time and developed double pneumonia and didn't have enough strength to get out of bed I felt like the worst mother in the world, because it's my job to make sure he's protected.
    I don't understand the concept of vaccinating a 1 day old baby for Hep B. Is my infant going to be having sex or shooting heroin in the first years of life? Doubtful. 

If you want vaccinate your child, more power to you. But I will be very careful with what is injected into my infant. 
    Are you just saying that you are going to delay them or not do them at all? I have nothing against delaying them. We actually did that with both my sons. My second son we delayed until he was over a year old, because at the time my mom was dying of cancer and going through chemo. My pediatrician thought this would be best at the time for my moms sake just in case and it wouldn't effect my son in any way.
    Definitely delay.. I'm not going to give my child every vaccination under the sun just because. Vaccinations for chicken pox or strep throat? Definitely not. The more serious disease, yes, possibly but I just can't  wrap my head around some of the things they want me to give my child the first years of life. Like I said, if I do it will be minimal and it will be for the most serious of diseases. 

And it's not about being lazy @flerlgirl

I am very on the fence about it and flaming me about it is definitely not going to change my mind. 

Unpopular opinion is unpopular~ Anyone else have any? 

Lilypie - (4j0O)

• I'd rather have had the chicken pox vaccine than the risk I have of getting shingles.

Huh? Umm, you can get shingles after chicken pox or after the vaccine. Either way the virus lives in your body.

::Facepalm::
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I am 100% fully vaccinating my child. Does this mean I may choose to delay a little bit and not have so many shots in one visit? Maybe. I need to discuss with the pediatrician when I choose one. I don't think vaccines have to be all or nothing in terms of having kids get five shots in a visit. If you want to pay the copay again and take them back in a month I think that's your right too. But to not vaccinate at all and have your child contract rubella or pertussis or measles.... No way. My UO: I hate olives. Green olives, black olives, ALL olives. when my fruit for this week showed a big fat olive I almost threw up. Sorry, I know food ones aren't that exciting, but I felt I needed to vent about it because people keep trying to get me to eat them. Gross.
    I agree, we delay. No more than two in a visit and at almost 5 DS has finally caught up. There's definitely a middle ground.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• flerlgirl said:
    I think watching sports and getting so invested in how your team does is a waste of time and kind of silly. THERE I SAID IT. 
    DH is a big sports fan.  I care once in a while - I just don't have the energy for it either :)
    I lucked out, @chickpea12 - my H hates it as much as I do! That's how we knew it was love. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"