July 2012 Moms
Options

Daycare whine

StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
edited October 2013 in July 2012 Moms
I have been anxiously awaiting the day B moves from the Transition class to Toddler 1.  I was told a few weeks ago that he should make the move on the first Monday in November.  I ordered his nap mat and have been all excited.  He's not learning anything in his current class and his afternoon teacher sucks.  She doesn't even speak to me when I get there.  She did for awhile after some of the other parents and I spoke to the director about her ignoring us, but is back to her usual charming (/sarcasm) self now.

Well, this morning, I found out they're not moving him.  He and his buddy, Addy, were supposed to move, but because she and Mabry have been together since the day they started, they are moving them up together instead.  Bryson is older than them by a month, is the best walker in the class (which determines when they move) and by his teacher's admission, is the smartest in there and not learning from them.  I HATE the class he's in now and have heard the Toddler 1 teachers are the best this center has- to the point that parents fight to stay in the class as long as possible.  I'm so disappointed.  

Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
 CafeMom Tickers

Re: Daycare whine

• Options
    I think you need to talk to the director, I don't see a reason why they aren't moving him.  If you are that unhappy and they have no plans to move him in the near future I'd maybe look for somewhere else?
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would talk to the director too. It sounds like he should be moved ASAP and if he's older than both girls he should get moved into a free spot before one of them IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
    edited October 2013
    cwm11985 said:
    I think you need to talk to the director, I don't see a reason why they aren't moving him.  If you are that unhappy and they have no plans to move him in the near future I'd maybe look for somewhere else?
    I am going to stop by and ask when they expect to move him.  I hope I'm quitting in February to stay with him, so I am going to stick it out for now, I guess.  I'm crossing my fingers he'll move soon.  
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I agree. Talk to the director and let her know you are unhappy with him being in that class. K has been in toddler 1 in his daycare since 13 months. I'm shocked they haven't moved B up yet as he is way more advanced verbally than K!

• Options
    lewispm said:
    I agree. Talk to the director and let her know you are unhappy with him being in that class. K has been in toddler 1 in his daycare since 13 months. I'm shocked they haven't moved B up yet as he is way more advanced verbally than K!
    His teacher told me this morning that he's actually taught his entire class some words.  They can all now signal and say touchdown and "all done" thanks to him.  Maybe they're keeping him back so their jobs are easier?  I kid, I kid.  I'm just aggravated.
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    JennMM said:
    I would say something. If he's the oldest and most advanced, he should have priority. To me, it's silly not to move him because some other kids have been together longer. It should be based on what child will benefit the most from it.
    I agree with this. Placement shouldn't be based on who started at the daycare together but who is ready to advance to the next level. I also find it odd that they move kids based on a buddy system...so if your child is paired with a child that develops at a slower pace then your child essentially gets held back? that would not be ok with me AT ALL! I would be speaking with the director today.
    I forgot to mention that another possible reason he's being held back is because he's the only friend one of the new boys has.  The teacher said this boy kinda plays by himself in the corner.  She even said he's pretty unpopular.  Bryson is an equal opportunity player and is the only kid that attempts to include him.  This kid isn't even one.  Ugh.
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Can I be really frank? I think your DC is a bit over the top with the information they share. If that ever got back to the parent of that boy  - totally unprofessional. Completely out of line. Also, I think that DC can certainly comment about how great your kid is doing, but they should not IMHO be comparing the kids in a particular room to a parent. Evaluations should be private and assessed in a more professional way. The way they are acting seems catty, gossipy and potentially really hurtful. I could be way out of line because I am only going off what you said, but I wouldn't be pleased if this were me for more reasons than holding Bryson back.

I COMPLETELY agree.  The teacher that told me that is one of those people that airs everything.  We are friends on Facebook and it reads like a journal- you know the type.  She has no filter.  I would be livid if I found out somebody said that about my kid to another parent.  My reply was that he was probably just shy and he'd make lots of new buddies when he got used to the class.  What else do you say??
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Eh, he's moving "sometime in December."  This is annoying.
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    wheelerc said:
    I would fight harder to move sooner.  It is not Bryson's fault that he plays with the other kids.  I have to say, once Tyler moved to the toddler room, it was like night and day.  He has grown so much more independent in the short time he has been there.  I would be more adamant that he is older, he is developmentally ready, he needs to go first.  Tyler's daycare begins assessing for Toddler room at 14&1/2 months and once they meet certain milestones, they move up based on age.  It is a very professional and planned process.  I was informed every step of the way by the Director and the teachers in both rooms.  Bryson deserves better treatment and better education than what he is receiving.  I am not saying anything about you at all, you are a wonderful mom, but you need to bust some skulls over this.  I would be pissed!
    I just responded to the email and asked to sit down with her on Friday at lunch.  I can understand them moving Addy before B because she was walking first, but the other girl is the one Bryson pushed down when he was walking and she wouldn't move.  She's a great walker now, but Bryson beat her to the punch.
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Bryson should not be held back because they want to keep two friends together.  Period.   If they want to keep them together, they can hold them back. 

Don't be too nice/soft on this.  Make your objection known. 

(If nothing else, perhaps they'll start being more circumspect about what information they share.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, girls.  MH and I talked last night.  He is going to come with me to the meeting.  He's never gotten involved with daycare stuff, but he's fired up about this.  It's probably a good thing he's coming because I thought about this all day and stayed pissed, then blew up when I told him everything in detail.  
     CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"