Breastfeeding

Vasospasms help

My lo is 6 weeks old and I have been dealing with vaso spasms for almost the whole time. His latch has never been perfect but we are working on it and it has improved. Of course I have a fast flow which doesn't help matters ( do semi laid back nursing to help).
What I am looking for is just someone to tell me that this vasospasms will get better or atleast improve some. Cause right now his evening cluster feeding is becoming something I am dreading all day because the nipples barely have time to recover before he wants to eat again which is painful. My md and LC have little to say about helping vasospasms or if it will go away. I think if I hear from someone that yes it does improve has they get older I can make it through those painful nursing sessions. Right now the only relief I foresee is when I go back to work and will be nursing less and pumping more, which I kind of feel bad for thinking about.

Also has anyone taken calcium or magnesium supplements to help? If so do I just get over the counter supplements or a prescription?

Tia and sorry for format on mobile.

Re: Vasospasms help

• I had vasospasms and I never knew I had it until the LC pointed it out at a weekly BF support meeting.  I thought what I was experiencing was normal. In my case LO had a shallow latch because I have flat/inverted nipples. We had to work really hard in the beginning. My LC had me do several things which helped.
    I  put hand warmers in my bra to help return the circulation after nursing.  The warmth really helped.  I also avoid the cold as that made the pain almost unbearable. 
    She also had me take a magnesium/calcium supplement (500 mg I think).  The supplements were over the counter and I had to buy one for each (they dont have a magnesium/calcium combo). All of those things combined helped me.  The pain went from unbearable to tolerable and gradually went away.  Sometime around 14-16 weeks everything was normal and I stopped taking the supplements around 20ish weeks.  In my case the vasospasms went away because LO had grown so her mouth was larger and she was able to get more of the areola.  She had also pulled out my nipple some so it was no longer as flat.  From what I have read I think vasospasms are usually due to a latch issue and tend to go away as LO grows and their mouth becomes larger.
    Hang in there, it will get better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"