March 2014 Moms

Hip pains anyone?

lopezalonsolopezalonso member
edited October 2013 in March 2014 Moms
My right hip has been hurting since yesterday... I seriously make a face anytime I bend over or get up from any seated or lying down position. I'm a little bit suspicious about the fact that only my right hip is hurting. If this were pregnancy related, wouldn't both hips be hurting? Has anyone else experienced this? Man do I feel old!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hip pains anyone?

• Only my left buttcheek ever hurts, and I am thinking it is my tailbone? Never had this before pregnancy either.

Also I just got into bed and my back is sooo sore! It has been a few minutes and back is still relaxing / easing into no longer being painful. It's about over.

Had no idea this is what pregnancy feels like!

I think @nikkichan has some hip issues.. Maybe she can help?

March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
  • My hips have been hurting for a few weeks now, mostly after sleeping. Whichever hip I'm lying on gets sore and I have to turn over from side to side. If it's been a night where I end up sleeping in my toddler's bed for a couple of hours, they stay sore all day. My shoulders, neck, and pelvis are also getting sore though.
        image  image

• Loading the player...
  • Both my hips ache constantly!
  • Mine too! Must be pregnancy besides anything else.... They're widening for labor...ahhh! So excited! If as expected, and Godwilling, ill have my girl in my arms in 3 months and about 3 weeks! Going by fast!!
  • Eh only my right hip- I went to physical therapy for it and it's because since my pelvic bones are relaxing to fast my right hip is actually not in place. They adjusted me however it went back out within twelve hours :/
  • My hips and back hurts pretty bad and oddly my right ankle. I hope yours gets better soon.
  • We are in the same boat!  Just my right hip has hurt/ached since 10 weeks and I'm now at 19.  I can't sleep on my right side for too long otherwise it gets kind of numb and tingly.  I spoke to my doctor about it and she said it's growing pains and wasn't concerned at all.  My left hip has yet to start hurting like this which is good since then I really would have a tough time sleeping!
  • Yes yes ugh yes! Both hips hurt like hell plus I have sciatic pain :( I am a runner and it has played hell on my joints!
  • My left one kills. I lifted my leg in bed and it cracked which felt amazing but when I got up it still hurt. Boo.

Anniversary

• NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited October 2013
    You are most likely out of alignment... with DS's pregnancy and severe SPD my right hip would be antiorior and flip forward... which would make my left leg 2 to 3 inches shorter then my right. Lay on the ground and have DH pull your legs and measure your ankles to one another... I bet you are out of alignment, which could cause sciatic nerve pain in the butt! Talk to your OB/Midwife about hip pain, because if you let if go for too long you there is a possiblity you could end up in a wheelchair or worst preterm labor (happen with me with DS). I currently am seeing a Chiropractor and that man is a gift from God! He thinks there maybe some underlying issues with my hip such as hip dysplasia. I go out alignment very quickly. I am wearing a support hip brace all the time and would recommend getting one. Right now my alignment is staying at bay with the help of seeing a Chiropractor every two weeks, however PT (physical therapy) has given me the rental agreement for the wheelchair which I haven't used yet... PT I feel is kind of a joke, but that could be the center that I go too. They tell me what exercises to do and I do them at home, but I don't see much relief until I see a Chiropractor.

This is the hip brace I have.(Size up they run small)
    https://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Elastic-Maternity-Support-Medium/dp/B000WFTHN4/ref=pd_sim_hpc_16
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Hips and back ache most of the day. More so my hips at night, depending on which side I'm laying on. Then the back ache kicks in when I get up in the morning. Just when the ache starts to go away in the evening, I get a few hours of relief before it's bedtime again. :(
  • My right hip has recently started hurting. It's only one side. It gives me a little bit of trouble not pregnant when I'm running a lot and hurt last time I was pregnant too. The left one rarely ever hurts. 
  • Are most of your right handed? My Chiropractor said that most people who are right handed have issues with their right hips because that is there dominate leg... just like your dominate hand... When you walk up the stairs which foot to use first?
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Are most of your right handed? My Chiropractor said that most people who are right handed have issues with their right hips because that is there dominate leg... just like your dominate hand... When you walk up the stairs which foot to use first?
    That is my exact issue. Both can hurt, but I guess I compensate more with the right. My hips are super loose when I'm not pregnant, so when things loosen even more the damn thing pretty much falls out of socket. I can still put my feet behind my head though. ;)
  • NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited October 2013
    babylimas said:
    Are most of your right handed? My Chiropractor said that most people who are right handed have issues with their right hips because that is there dominate leg... just like your dominate hand... When you walk up the stairs which foot to use first?
    That is my exact issue. Both can hurt, but I guess I compensate more with the right. My hips are super loose when I'm not pregnant, so when things loosen even more the damn thing pretty much falls out of socket. I can still put my feet behind my head though. ;)
    I cannot stress enough... go see a Chiropractor, pay out of pocket... that man has made my pain so much more manageable! I am kind of shocked each week after seeing him because I'm able to walk straight and in little to no pain. (I see him every two weeks)

Sort of OT: but I am very active... snowboarding, skydiving etc... and I think I may had a skydiving accident when I was 18... the harness was very large on me so when they pulled the parachute i was flung in the air and my legs went basically up to my nose... I was black and blue around my hips after that. Also, a very bad snowboarding accident when I was 23 and needed knee surgery. They didn't check my hips, but I'm sure one of those two things maybe a culprit for my hip issues... :/
    Nickie

• What @Nickiechan said about alignment. I have scoliosis so I'm an extreme case, but almost everyone favors one side over another even if you don't notice it day to day. With all the moving around of organs and shifting of weight from pregnancy, as well as your ligaments loosening up, that can easily get exaggerated.
    imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family

I think I'm the other way. Right handed but my left hip is the one that causes me pain. I find I balance on my right leg all the time because it hurts to have full weight on left leg. It also spreads up through the left side of my lower back. I've been looking for a brace so I just ordered the one you recommended. Thank you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • aesmom said:
    Are most of your right handed? My Chiropractor said that most people who are right handed have issues with their right hips because that is there dominate leg... just like your dominate hand... When you walk up the stairs which foot to use first?
    I think I'm the other way. Right handed but my left hip is the one that causes me pain. I find I balance on my right leg all the time because it hurts to have full weight on left leg. It also spreads up through the left side of my lower back. I've been looking for a brace so I just ordered the one you recommended. Thank you!
    If you go to PT you can get a more solid hip brace (my is like made from plastic)... however pretty uncomfortable it does help keep me in alignment. I like the Gabrialla Medium support belt when I'm at work and limit my walking since it isn't as bulky.
    Nickie

• With DD my right hip hurt so bad for a while that I could barely walk. It went away after a couple weeks.
    Always safe to ask a doctor though.
    Good luck!
    Pregnancy Tickerimage
  • I second the maternity support belt. I had some SI joint (back/hip/pelvis) issues just prior to this pregnancy so I've been concerned about possible pain and issues, especially with twins. I've been wearing a support belt any time I'm going to be on my feet or walking around a lot. I think it's been helping so far.

If you are feeling frequent pain I would definetly talk to your OB and try to see a PT or a chiro.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How interesting!  My right hip has been bothering me, too, and it's the one that hurt during my pregnancy with DD.  I'm right-handed as well.  Hope you find a way to ease the pain, OP.  Sadly, I don't have any advice. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• lopezalonsolopezalonso member
    edited October 2013
    What @Nickiechan said about alignment. I have scoliosis so I'm an extreme case, but almost everyone favors one side over another even if you don't notice it day to day. With all the moving around of organs and shifting of weight from pregnancy, as well as your ligaments loosening up, that can easily get exaggerated.
    I have some mild scoliosis too... A few years ago my podiatrist found out that one of my legs is in fact a teeny tiny bit shorter than the other and I started wearing custom in-soles that made my feet and hip feel better (it used to crack during sex... creepy, lol). I also went to a chiropractor and she gave me some exercises to do which of course I haven't done in months! I should probably pick those back up again. I did them last night and my hip felt better but it hurt again this morning. I probably have to keep at it. 

I never had these issues when I was a kid!!! I still felt like I was a kid but now with these hip problems and the growing human inside of me... I think not. This is my sad realization that I am an adult... :-O
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"