Blended Families
Options

Mixed race in Texas

I’m due March 2014 with my first baby, I am Mexican/white and my boyfriend is black. Mixed dating like this is not widely accepted where we live and dealing with it is discouraging. I don’t understand why people care so much that we date and are not the same color. My main concern is my baby though, she doesn’t deserve the contempt thrown at her and the only thing she’s guilty of is existing.  My bf also has a daughter from a previous marriage who is Mexican/black and she catches a lot of looks as well. She doesn’t understand it yet but she will soon. How do I protect them from this? What do I say/do? How can I keep them from becoming bitter and hard? I can’t confront/fight it every single time because I can’t fix other peoples ignorance. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: Mixed race in Texas

• Options
    I live in Texas. My DD is black, Hispanic, and white also. I get nothing but people telling me how beautiful she is when we are in public. If anyone had anything negative to say or gave me a look I would hope that I would just ignore their ignorance but I might just tell them to fluck off. I wish I had good advice. It makes me sad.
    utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Getting Pregnant">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly...do not project your fears onto your children. Change how you view it and change how you address it.

I personally am working on how I respond to some BS in my life and I am doing it because I know how I react will not benefit my child.

Teach them how to handle peoples prejudice with grace and dignity. Teach them confidence and pride on who they are. Teach them to embrace ALL of their heritage. Teach them to be the exception. Teach them to be bigger than the idiots.

And...if it really is awful for you, consider a more accepting, multi-cultural city. Like Austin for example.
    i don't know where you live, but small town Texas is not the place to be.
    "he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options
    I'm sure small town Texas is probably as much fun as small town Wisconsin in the racial acceptance department! Dh and I get looks too, a few comments behind our backs, etc. We ignore, ignore, ignore. I refuse to stoop to the level of racists.

Of course my family all think they are so accapting, but they still talk smack about other races, inter-racial couples and stuff, they just preface it with "well not you guys but...) Smh. 

justj is right. You have to rise above it all, and teach your children the same. Good luck!

image  image

• Options
    I've taught hs for 10 years in the Bible Belt of Texas I don't see kids making fun of/ picking on multiracial kids. Not sure where exactly you live but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"