Cloth Diapering

Curiosity...

I'm 23 years old and I have a 3 year old daughter who I used disposable diapers on. My fiancé and I are currently TTC and we're looking into cloth diapers. I wanted to try with my daughter but her father was completely against it (said it was too messy/nasty). Any opinions or tips/tricks? Are there certain brands/types that do or don't work? I've tried to do some research on the subject but there are so many kinds that I'm getting somewhat overwhelmed. Thanks in advance for the help!
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Curiosity...

• Read the FAQs at the top of the board.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • I actually did read them, or at least the ones that seemed like they would apply... I'm still pretty lost.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Cloth 101 on You Tube is another good thing to watch. I CDed both kids, and have gone periods of using sposies. Personally my preferance has always been for pocket style diapers and fitteds. I do like prefolds and AI2's, but they are lower on the list. My favorite brands are Bum Genius 4.0's and Blueberry pockets. These happen to also be the bigger ones of the bunch and can easily fit my 32lb 3 year old.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you! Your children are beautiful by the way.

imageimage
  • I really love pockets as well. I also found prefolds and covers worked best for the newborn phase, and they're a great basic starting place. I think the best advice, if you're feeling overwhelmed, is to keep it simple. Maybe start with prefolds, then get a pocket or an AIO to try out. As you get more comfortable with cloth, you can start exploring more. 
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I really love pockets as well. I also found prefolds and covers worked best for the newborn phase, and they're a great basic starting place. I think the best advice, if you're feeling overwhelmed, is to keep it simple. Maybe start with prefolds, then get a pocket or an AIO to try out. As you get more comfortable with cloth, you can start exploring more. 

This. Prefolds were hands down the best thing to keep in newborn poo for us, especially once LO decided she was just going to do 1-2 poops a day which resulted in rather large amounts at a time.
  • There are a few companies that offer diaper trials so that you can try out different types and brands of diapers with a fairly low commitment. A lot of people are surprised at what does and does not work for them. I think a lot of people on this board would recommend not getting just one kind or one brand of diaper. I had a good experience with Jillian's Drawers. I thought we were going to have a stash of pockets, but both DH and I preferred flats and fitteds, especially at the newborn stage. DS never really chubbed up, so pockets tend to leak on him. We can get a better fit with prefolds and flats. 

Green Mountain Diapers is also a good resource on flats, prefolds and other diapers with natural fibers.

My stash is mostly prefolds with an assortment of fitteds (overnight diapers are another animal entirely), and some pockets (various brands) and Simplex AIOs for out-and-about/daycare. When my pockets wear out I am going to replace them with more Simplex.

• Another vote for prefolds and covers for the NB stage.  DS is getting big enough to fit in his OS pockets but I still reach for the prefolds.  They are amazing at keeping NB poop in and they are really easy to clean.  There is a learning curve to figure out the folding but after watching a couple YouTube videos, I felt pretty comfortable.  After a day or two of changing diapers, I felt really comfortable and can now get a prefold and cover on nearly as fast as a pocket or disposable.

This for me as well. My DH was very skeptical of cloth and his parents tried very hard to convince us not to use cloth. His father works for P&G in a factory that makes Pampers, and so my in-laws took it quite personally when we decided to try cloth diapering. Well we used Pampers, Huggies, and Natures Best sposies for the first two weeks of our DDs life, then switched to prefolds and covers. DH fell instantly in love with cloth diapering, and found prefolds so much easier than disposables. He figured out the folding within a day. When his parents came up to visit when DD was almost one month, they asked how we liked cloth diapering. I wish I had a camera to forever remember their faces when DH told his parents he preferred them over disposables.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"