September 2013 Moms

Dairy free mamas and reflux babies question

jlp0528jlp0528 member
edited October 2013 in September 2013 Moms
Ladies,

My LO has mostly been crabby and seemingly uncomfortable almost always and never wants to be put down or will lay on anything but me or h. She even acts pained and uncomfortable when we try to console her. That combined with a myriad of other factors, the pedi who is usually conservative with suggesting medicine, has us starting Zantac today and me cutting out dairy, thinking it may be silent reflux.

Those of you in this same boat and have done the removal of all dairy and adding Zantac, how long till you saw changes in your baby?

The doctor has us going back in 2 weeks (LO is 5 weeks today) and said if we don't see a change in a week to call, but I thought I read a lot of you saying the dairy took weeks to leave your system?

Just wanting to see how your babies have done with this changes and when you saw results. Any input is appreciated!

Edit: missed a word

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dairy free mamas and reflux babies question

• It took me about a week after giving up dairy to see a small difference in my son. Each day he is getting better and more comfortable.  It has been a week and 4 days since I gave up dairy, so I am still trying to see the full effects.  I also upped his Zantac from twice a day to three times a day.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • jlp0528jlp0528 member
    edited October 2013
    I am a cheese-a-holic @AFWifelife. I ate sandwiches with cheese a lot, cheese in my salad, creamer in my coffee... I ate manchengo cheese in my salad today before the appointment :-S I'm sure it's all throughout my system. Hopefully it won't take forever! She just constantly seems to be uncomfortable and in pain.

Thanks for sharing @Happybride 276... I knew you were going through this too!

• Loading the player...
  • I've cut out obvious dairy (I'm a serious dairy fanatic, and I realized it was present in almost everything I ate), but not the hidden stuff.

I will say, the thing I think has made the most difference in my gassy baby has been block feeding. I have an oversupply, and an LC recommended I block feed to regulate what she was getting. I guess before she was getting too much foremilk, plus I have a forceful letdown that was making her uncomfortable. I've been doing it for a week now and it's such an obvious difference.

I've been doing it in tandem with giving up dairy, so I may try introducing some dairy back and see what happens.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • I am a cheese-a-holic @AFWifelife. I ate sandwiches with cheese a lot, cheese in my salad, creamer in my coffee... I ate manchengo cheese in my salad today before the appointment :-S I'm sure it's all throughout my system. Hopefully it won't take forever! She just constantly seems to be uncomfortable and in pain.

Thanks for sharing @Happybride 276... I knew you were going through this too!

I consumed a ton of dairy. I ate food with a ton of cheese on it, had one or two large bowls of cereal and a glass of milk a day as well as bowl of ice cream. To be honest I have only given up milk, cheese, butter, and ice cream and I see a huge difference. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • @ravenclaw1 and @AFWifelife ... Whey and casein and any milk or lactose type products are the hidden dairy I know of. Am I missing anything!?

• What symptoms besides fussy does your baby display? Our doc says reflux, I think it's silent reflux since there's hardly ever spit up. We do all the physical things like not laying her down after feeding, sleeping on incline, etc. She sounds like she has something in her throat and will do this gasping thing. She's even choked a couple times. Just curious if that sounds like something you're experiencing...
    4 years TTC including countless tests, 2 surgeries, and one failed IUI
    Scheduled IVF for April 2013--SURPRISE, don't need it! DD Born 9/7/13 
    Ectopic pregnancy Sep/Oct 2014 ended in surgery, and many trips to the ER
    Miracle #3: EDD 11/28/16

• I'm on day 5 and have cut all dairy, including hidden and haven't noticed a difference. Haven't tried Zantac yet but giving it 2 weeks dairy free first. Remaining hopeful. Here's a grear list of hidden dairy. https://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

If you're a coffee drinker I recommend so delicious dairy free coconut milk creamer. The French vanilla is yummy if you like flavored creamer. And almond milk is great in things like oatmeal. Good luck!
  • @ravenclaw1 and @AFWifelife ... Whey and casein and any milk or lactose type products are the hidden dairy I know of. Am I missing anything!?

I just find that it's in everything. I have a couple friends who had to completely go dairy free, and it's hiding in most breads, pasteries, a ton of processed foods. It's just tough to fully cut it out if you're not diligent.

A good piece of advice- Oreos are dairy free :)
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • @ravenclaw1 Oreos without cold milk :(( I should just avoid the calories lol

@redhead0917-- slow/low weight gain though seemingly good latch after meeting with LC and eating regularly, behavior at the breast when feeding, wheezing/choking//gasp sounds in breathing with apnea at night or when sleeping, not sleeping really at all throughout the day, seemingly in pain, not being able to lay in anything, etc

@mamabear6252011 thanks for the creamer tip and the list!! I didn't realize how common this was!

• My LO behaves exactly like you are describing!  It's been a tough few weeks because I hate seeing her uncomfortable.  Luckily she is happy/calm sometimes.

I had her tested with my chiro and she is NOT sensitive to dairy, which shocked me because I am (I can't resist cheese, everything else I avoid).  I was grateful to not have to cut it all and wait and see.

We started Zantac yesterday.  I can't tell a difference yet but we also haven't really been able to get her to take much of it. She is spitting it out no matter what we do!
  • Dairy can take up to 2 wks to leave his system. I was off dairy for a week (they said I should see some improvement). Nothing seemed different to me. I am entertaining the idea to try one more time now that we don't have tons of other meds in his system,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"