Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Tips for lowering baby in crib

How do you put baby in the crib w/o waking? I'm short so my arms aren't long

Re: Tips for lowering baby in crib

• I find for MOTN wakings, when I'm putting DS down I actually lay him on his side. If I try to lay him on his back he often wakes back up again. I'm short too, I have to stand on my tiptoes to put him down on the mattress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD usually falls asleep on my bed snuggling with me.  I make sure she's really sleeping before I attempt to move her to her crib.  One hand on her butt, the other behind her head/neck, a soft kiss on her little head, and I quietly place her in her crib.  She's usually fine, especially if her pacifier is still in her mouth.  I'm short, too, at 5'3" but DD has a mini crib so I think the rails are a little lower than a full size crib.  
  • Loading the player...
  • At 5'4" I stand on my tip-toes, lean and stretch to get DD in her crib at night.  In the morning she's usually sitting up or on her knees trying to pull herself up so I don't have to reach far to get her out.

• I just put DD in awake so its not an issue
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Mine is typically dead to the world after middle of the night feeds so I just plop her in.  She goes down awake the rest for the time, which helps if she were to wake when I plopped her in at other times.

I do know that the key is to not let their arms drop as that triggers a startle reflex and wakes them in a panic.  I'm tall so can't help with how to do it, but figure out how to secure her arms in yours so they don't fall.  As well, you can keep your body touching hers for a few moments after she is down, even a hand on the belly works wonders for some children to keep them asleep.

• DS falls asleep cuddling in bed with us, then DH lowers him in.  He sleeps on his belly, so DH scoops him up belly-down and just transfers him, still belly down, onto his mattress.  He has to be a billion percent asleep for it to work, though.

• Nicb13 said:

VPGIRL06 said:

I just put DD in awake so its not an issue

This. Also, this is something you have to just find a way to make it work on your own. Get a stool, something. Trial and error.

Tried the stool, doesn't work because it just means more space to bend down from.
  • Can you just raise the crib up?
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • ebp913 said:

Can you just raise the crib up?

The mattress is on the highest setting. I'm 5 feet tall

• I have to stand on my tip toes and it works, for now. Luckily, my guy is good at going in awake, so I suppose it's not a big deal. Maybe what a pp suggested...have a small stool right there to help you out?
  • rdbanks said:

I have to stand on my tip toes and it works, for now. Luckily, my guy is good at going in awake, so I suppose it's not a big deal. Maybe what a pp suggested...have a small stool right there to help you out?

Stool makes it harder
  • I'm not sure there is an easy fix for the height thing.  I am here looking at our crib, I am 5'8" and once she goes to the lowest setting it will be a long ways down for me!  Is it possible to cut down the legs on your crib? I could cut a couple inches off mine so the crib itself is flat on the floor, if yours is similar that may be a bit of help.  You may also consider getting an IKEA crib as they tend to be much lower (they sit on floor versus on feet), they are cheap and are rated to be very safe.

Long term I would really try to have your child go down awake...then you can put them in standing or sitting and teach them to lie down.  This would make it much easier for you, though a hard thing to accomplish!

I would not recommend a stool.  As you said, it makes you have to reach further down, and with a child in your hands just seems unsafe. 

• I'm sorry, I know how stressful sleeping is and you don't want your kiddo to wake up but this seems like a lot of trouble for putting a baby back in the crib. I'm 5'2" with trex arms, so even at it's highest, it's always been hard.  Put her down in there.  Try awake, if it's MOTN and she falls asleep, let her fuss for a couple seconds and see if she settles herself. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • I usually put him down on his side or belly and rib his back for a few minutes and then he goes to sleep.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • VPGIRL06 said:

I'm sorry, I know how stressful sleeping is and you don't want your kiddo to wake up but this seems like a lot of trouble for putting a baby back in the crib. I'm 5'2" with trex arms, so even at it's highest, it's always been hard.  Put her down in there.  Try awake, if it's MOTN and she falls asleep, let her fuss for a couple seconds and see if she settles herself. 

Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't... It's a gamble
  • Like a pp mentioned, if I put DS down and starts to wiggle and squirm, keeping my hand on his tummy for a minute usually settles him back down.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • This is part of the reason I took the crib mattress out and put it on the floor.. Now I hold him in my arms, then lay down with him, then slowly sneak away. Easy peasy. His room isn't nearly as cute without a crib and with just a mattress on the floor, but whatever. I'm more into function than style. :)
  • This is part of the reason I took the crib mattress out and put it on the floor.. Now I hold him in my arms, then lay down with him, then slowly sneak away. Easy peasy. His room isn't nearly as cute without a crib and with just a mattress on the floor, but whatever. I'm more into function than style. :)

And he doesn't roll on the floor?

• I'm also 5 feet tall. I nurse DD on the glider next to the crib, then when she is done, usually she is drowsy, I slowly get up with one arm under the back of her neck and one beneath her butt and put her in the crib. She usually opens her eyes if not already open and then shuts them off and goes to sleep or she moves a little to get comfortable and then falls sleep.Sometimes she tosses and turns for 5-10 minutes before she is comfortable to fall sleep.

Putting her down awake but drowsy was not easy at first but that's what helped her learn where she is going to be going to sleep and learn to put herself to sleep. Because she expects it (that she will be transferred to the crib) she doesn't get surprised and that doesn't excited her to wake her up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"