Stay at Home Moms
Options

The Candy Tax

Do you take some of your kids candy that they got on Halloween?

I was told to keep all the candy in a bowl in the dining room because I wasn't allowed to have food in my room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The Candy Tax

• Options
    We give our DS1 very limited sugar so we let him pick a couple of pieces to eat and send the rest to our friend who is in the Army. We make a big deal of packing it up and making a couple of cards for the guys we know so that DS1 feels good about giving away the candy.
  • Options
    My grandma used to always take some of our candy.  It was always the good stuff, too.  She made up for it :-)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hokies94hokies94 member
    edited October 2013
    I take some out of each kids bag.  Mostly the things I know they don't like.  Luckily one of my kids hates peanut butter and nuts so I get all the good candy from her bag. 

I do it when they're not around but the older ones have caught on.  They'll now tell me which candy I can't have.   
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I don't give candy to Ava yet (she'll be 3 in December). I figure next year she'll know what's up and I'll have to start giving her a bit. When I was a kid my mom confiscated all of my brother and my candy the day after Halloween. She chopped up all the chocolate and made cookies with them, then rationed out the cookies for school lunches. I don't know if I'll be that strict, but looking back it was a good way to make sure we didn't gorge ourselves.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My kids eat a piece a day for like 4 days then totally forget about it. I send it to work with DH.
  • Options
    My kids are 5.5 and 2.5 ...they get to choose a piece for a treat after dinner for about a week, and the the rest disappears.

• Options
    edited October 2013

Hav=FathHoly crud, your new siggy is adorable!!!

Since my kid is severely allergic to peanuts, I get all the yummy peanut infested goodness.  I would steal some even if that wasn't the case though.

Edit: not sure what the quote box is about

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Their bags are kept in our room, otherwise they'd eat it all in a night. They get a few small pieces a day for about a week and then they just forget about it. DH and I help ourselves nightly, lol.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    edited October 2013
    DD eats as much as she wants for 24 hours {which includes sleeping and school, so it's never very much} and then she sells the rest of her orthodontist.

ETA- not very much is like 5 pieces...she doesn't eat a bunch of sugar at a time bc I told her it makes her stomach hurt.
  • Options
    DD doesn't TOT yet, but heck yes I will! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD doesn't eat candy yet. I indulged in some of her Halloween goodies from the downtown festival- the rest went into our candy to hand out on Thursday because if it stays in the house I'll eat it allllllllll.
  • Options
    I figure I'll do what my dad did...pick out the candy I like and tell my kids I have to check it for poison. :)
  • Options
    Isn't stealing their candy the point of having kids??
  • Options
    amy052006 said:

letranger said:

Some? All of it.

Yeah -- my kid isn't even three.  He might get a piece or two that night, then it disappears.  I go through it all first anyway to ditch all the real crap.

Pretty much this, except the leftovers get put in the pantry and are slowly eaten over the next year. Whatever isn't eaten gets thrown in with the new candy we give out the next Halloween.

• Options
    I'll definitely take a tax. Julia doesn't like peanuts or peanut butter (strange child!) so I'll take anything she gets that has that. Emma likes all of it lol!

I'll let them have a few pieces tomorrow then we'll dole it out one a day for as long as it lasts (we won't go to that many houses) and DH and I will have some as well.

I know that eventually they'll do what I did and count it all up before starting and know exactly how long their stash will last if they get a treat a day (my sister, brother and I always did that), so I'll enjoy stealing it undetected while I can lol!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We only really do the "Harvest Fest" at daycare - and yes, we go through their bags for a treat, but honestly, the kids just aren't THAT interested in all the candy especially at once... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"