Cloth Diapering

Those that have CD'ed during newborn stage

Did you have any absorbency issues with THX aio newborn, lil joey aio, or bumgenius AIO newborns? I am on a newborn CD Facebook group and frequently seeing these being sold as "new" or "only prepped-never worn". I plan to get two diaper covers and rotate those but mostly wanted to stick with a aio newborn stash for convenience. Any advice on these three brands and there absorbency/sizing?
Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 
...baby #3 boy MC at 10 weeks

Re: Those that have CD'ed during newborn stage

• I used Kawaii Pure and Naturals and Alva Newborns. Both are pockets. Loved (love) the PNs. Tolerated the Alvas.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I loved the Lil Joeys anf BG NB in the beginning. They fit great at first. By 3-4 weeks he grew out of their absorbency. I think the NB Simplex were best of all the brands.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't use CD's when DS was a newborn, but I have heard both on here and IRL that newborns outgrow the absorbency of the BG and Lil Joey's long before they outgrow them in size.

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My girl outgrew absorbency in the Lil Joeys long before she did the size. I couldn't keep her in them more than an hour before she leaked through. The BG AIO held up longer, she outgrew the length before the waist though and I just transitioned to all OS before she outgrew absorbency.

• Two diaper covers to rotate for what exactly? I'm just not sure what you mean by your post. If you plan on using them you'll need more than two.
    ...to rotate using as a prefold (since I know they are the most popular I figured I'd mention it) in addition to the rest of my newborn stash.
    Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 

• I had mostly AIO and pockets with my son. I had in this order:

Lil Joey 4

BG NB 3-4

Grovia AIO NB 3

Fuzzibunz XS 3

Swaddlebee/Blueberry Simplex NB 3

Plus 3 Nicki's NB fitteds

12 NB PF

12 Infant PF

3 Thirsties XS

3 Thirsties Duo size 1

Everything got equal time. When I redo my NB stash I'll get almost all fitteds and PF with about 6-10 Swaddlebee NB Simplex. They were by far the best.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Of the brands you mentioned, I used the BG xs AIOs. They worked for about 3 weeks before DD outgrew the absorbency.

If I had to do it over again I would not use AIOs for the newborn stage at all and instead do a 12-12-12 mix of infant prefolds, GMD newborn workhorses and Kawaii P&N pockets.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved li'l joey's and BG aio for newborn.  

if there's another newborn in our house someday, I will use aio's again and just add a layer or two of hemp fleece.  I didn't realize at the time how freakin' slim it is and will add a huge amount of absorbancy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I didn't have any of these brands, but I didn't like AIOs/pockets for the newborn stage. They leaked out the legs, front and back at different times and were not very absorbent. I LOVED my fitteds though! I have Kawaii P&Ns, which are okay, but didn't fit her well until around when our other one size diapers fit, and they are much more annoying to stuff with the skinnier pockets, and not as absorbent, I feel. Plus I hate aplix. Totally recommend fitteds and covers though! 

If fitteds/prefolds are only a small part of your stash, 2 covers is totally fine. 3 would be better, but I used fitteds and prefolds exclusively and only had 3 covers. 
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • I loved my bg nb dipes, tolerated Alvas and also used kawaii little green baby. We never had absorbancy issues. I also have 2 simplex and she still fits in them somehow but we only use them during the day

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I loved all of my NB aio and pockets and will be using them again. :) My AIOs lasted until 6-8 weeks, so very worth it, IMO.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I love love love Swaddlebees NB Simplex AIO's.  Definitely recommend if you can afford to buy new or find some used.  DH loves Fuzzibunz Perfect Size XS.  I also like Kissaluvs and GMD fitteds with Thirsties Duo covers.  DS is 9 weeks and we're in the process of transitioning into one-size diapers.  I think the Swaddlebees will fit another week or two but the Fuzzibunz are probably on their last week.  We haven't had any absorbency issues with any of our diapers, but then again we change pretty regularly.  Now that he's sleeping through the night I've been putting a one-size diaper on him at night (Tots Bots or Rumparooz G2).

Lil Joey 4

BG NB 3-4

Grovia AIO NB 3

Fuzzibunz XS 3

12 NB PF

12 Infant PF

3 Thirsties XS

3 Thirsties Duo size 1

Everything got equal time. When I redo my NB stash I'll get almost all fitteds and PF with about 6-10 Swaddlebee NB Simplex. They were by far the best.

How were your thirstys duo?

Lil Joey 4

BG NB 3-4

Grovia AIO NB 3

Fuzzibunz XS 3

12 NB PF

12 Infant PF

3 Thirsties XS

3 Thirsties Duo size 1

How were your thirstys duo?
    They were just the covers, but I love Thirsties. All of their covers have been awesome.
  • Thanks for all the feedback ladies! I have a few kawaii P&N's and may pick up a few more. I will second how annoying they are to stuff though! I may look at getting a few extra newborn prefolds to add absorbency if needed!
    Liam Tyler & Emma Grace 

• We sold our lil Joeys AIOs because they leaked so bad with our lo. They leaked from the start with us.
  • Lil Joeys fit our LO perfectly! He outgrew the size by 3 weeks however. So sad, they are so cute! Had no issues with absorbency.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"