Stay at Home Moms

Nostalgic foods?

I had an english muffin with apricot jam for breakfast and was instantly transported to my grandma's kitchen as a kid. I seriously can't eat one without thinking about her. English muffins and apple cinnamon cheerios, actually. 

What are some of your nostalgia-inducing foods?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Nostalgic foods?

• edited October 2013
    Fish and chips takes me back to my childhood where we would buy them from street carts, in a newspaper cone and soaked in vinegar with those little wooden fork thingys, and eat them while we window shopped around town. Mmmm. Indian does the same thing, we got takeout Indian once a month or so when we lived in England so whenever I eat it now I'm reminded of dad bringing it home and getting to eat it in the living room.

ETA Hizzo reminded me of another. My grandad always had scotch mints. When we were coming to visit he would hide the bag so my sister and I had to hunt for it, and when we found it he'd give us some. My dad always keeps a bag around now too and I take a couple everytime we're visiting and I happen across the bag.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Buttermints always make me think of my grandparents. My grandpa loved them, and my grandma kept them in a little candy dish on the hearth. I was always allowed to have a few when I stayed there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Butterscotch candies always remind me of my Grandma.  Vernors ginger ale takes me back to sitting in my great grandma's house playing yahtzee. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Turkey pastrami sandwiches with tostitos chips remind me of my grandfather. Goldfish and white grape juice remind me of being at my grandparent's house after school. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Andes Mints. My grandfather always bought me one when we were checking out At the cafeteria we ate at when I visited. Also, omelets bc my grandmother was a horrible cook but she made a great one.
  • Tomato soup and grilled cheese when I was little, I had it every Saturday for lunch.

And those round peppermint candies.. starlight pinwheel peppermint and spearmint.  My grandma has had a jar of them in her kitchen since I was little, and I always took a handful and put them in my pocket when I went over :)  She still has them out.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • butter beans- make me think of my grandma. she loved them and made them allllll the time.
  • My grandma used to always make potato pancakes when she would babysit us on Friday nights. We would watch Golden Girls and Empty Nest with her. She taught me how to make them, but they don't taste quite like hers.  I think it is because she used to hand grate the potatoes and you just can't get that consistency with a food processor.

Also, windmill cookies, Trident gum, and butter flavored pretzels.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Worthington carmels and ribbon candy.
  • KateMW said:

Andes Mints. My grandfather always bought me one when we were checking out

Exactly this! My grandparents always had a bowl of Andes mints out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Cold Butterfingers. My grandparents always had them in the back fridge for the grandkids.

Chez Wiz. (warning this is gross) but when I was in kindergarten, I wanted a chez wiz sandwich everyday for lunch.

• peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because I had so many as kid.  WIth a big glass of milk and Cheetos.

I am also nostalgic about kosher deli meats.  They remind me of my grandparents.  They always seemed to have the higher quality kosher deli meats at their home whereas my mom always got cheap crap. 

• Fried potatoes and homemade Mac-n-cheese with tomatoes makes me think of my great grandmother. It didn't matter what the meat was those were always the sides she cooked when we ate at her house.

Pancakes make me think of my grandmother. I uses to spend the night with her every weekend and we would have pancakes for breakfast every time. She doesn't cook much but she can make good pancakes.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Jell-o pudding pops - they just remind me of childhood in general.

And Charm Blow Pops - remind me of a time when I was little and went to Costco with a friend. I bought a whole case of them with my "own money". Geez, I was eating those things forever...
  • Fried 'taters--you know, breakfast potatoes. My great-grandma would slice them and fry them and we'd eat them with ketchup. Soooo good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"