Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Spitting up

My LO has been one to spit up since birth but I've noticed it's gotten a little worse. Now she seems to projectile every or every other feeding. I EBF and have always had trouble burping and now it seems like every burp is accompanied by a good amount of spit up. Is this cause for concern? Her pedi said some amount of spit up and even projectile is normal but I'm not totally comfortable with it.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Spitting up

• Reflux?
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • Does she seem to be in pain after spitting up? That's a sign of reflux. I don't know much more about reflux, but that would be a red flag for me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Breast fed babies, according to my pediatrician and LC, will spit up when they over eat. It helps to regulate their weight gain to a certain extent. As long as LO doesn't appear to be in pain and is gaining weight appropriately, no need to overly worry
    TTC since October 22, 2012
    BFP January 11, 2013
    Kellan James Patrick was born September 28, 2013
  • My DD also spits up a ton.  We burp her every half ounce to ounce and she will spit up mouthfuls each time.  She continues to gain weight and doesn't seem bothered by it at all.  I guess the term they use for this is a "happy spitter".  Like PP said, if your LO is continuing to gain weight and doesn't seem to be bothered by spitting up, I wouldn't worry.  
    <Lilypie First Birthday tickers> <Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers>
  • Does she seem to be in pain after spitting up? That's a sign of reflux. I don't know much more about reflux, but that would be a red flag for me.

She doesn't seem to be in pain and will usually want to eat again
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lolob45 said:

Does she seem to be in pain after spitting up? That's a sign of reflux. I don't know much more about reflux, but that would be a red flag for me.

She doesn't seem to be in pain and will usually want to eat again
    That's good! I'd probably ask the pedi at your next visit anyway, but it sounds like everything's normal. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nicb13 said:

People are very quick to jump at the reflux diagnosis but some babies do just spit up a lot. If your LO isn't in pain and is gaining weight then I wouldn't worry. Keep in mind that it always looks like more than it actually is.

DS spit up TONS all throughout the day until he was about 10 months old. It was ridiculous how much he spit up but he didn't have a problem, just a happy spitter. DH was the same way as a baby.

This

Both my kids were 'happy spitters', but especially DS, it was never ending.  But he has always gained well and it never bothered him.  He is just now at 10 months doing better, he still spits up but not like the rivers we used to see before and it's not after every feeding like before.
  • As long as LO isn't in pain, isn't dehydrated (has enough diapers, frontonelle not sunken), and gains weight you should be fine - just mention it at the next Dr's appt. You can try slowing down feeds, more frequent burping, keeping LO upright for 20-30 minutes after a feed to cut down on it.
  • As long as LO isn't in pain, isn't dehydrated (has enough diapers, frontonelle not sunken), and gains weight you should be fine - just mention it at the next Dr's appt. You can try slowing down feeds, more frequent burping, keeping LO upright for 20-30 minutes after a feed to cut down on it.
    This. My DD will spit up like an ounce sometimes. But she usually always sighs happily afterward. She tends to be pretty aggressive so I have to make sure to nurse her the instant I see that she is hungry. If I wait too long, she inhales too much air, gets huge air bubbles that she can't burp out, and then a little while later her stomach empties out onto my lap.
    imageimageimage

• I had the same problem. Went off dairy and he almost never spits up now. 
  • My DS had acid reflux until he was 3 months old. He would projectile vomit a large amount (sometimes the entire feeding) and arch his back in pain after eating....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The little flap that keeps it down doesn't full work until around 6 months so my pedi isn't worried about spit up. Alexis spits up a good amount if she eats too much. She also does if we don't get to her right away and she gets really upset.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"