April 2013 Moms
Options

How the heck to "discipline" a 6m old

So I use the term discipline lightly obviously but now that my LO is crawling all over she is also doing a lot of bad things. Example, splashing in the dog bowl, pulling the dogs tail, chewing on none chewy things. I have no idea how to start teaching her right from wrong. Can you even do that this young?!?

I've tried moving her away while saying bad. I've tried giving light thumps on her hand and saying bad. I've also tried a loud "ahhhh" noise. Nothing seems to phase her, she turns around and does whatever I just told her was bad over and over and over and over.

Open to any suggestions except the word no because that is already reserved and use for the dogs. :-)

Re: How the heck to "discipline" a 6m old

• Options
    When I am speaking serious and deep and staring at him, he looks at me and stops what he is doing and doesn't move. For example, I told him "No wire" (he was pulling on my laptop cord) and he stopped and looked at me, I removed his hand and said it again and he stared for a second longer then played with his Sophie and I moved him away. Although, I do have to keep reminding him, he will get it eventually as with everything else that is off limits.

I do not think you can do very much right now that will leave a lasting impression on them. They are just too young (I think), so keep at it and she will remember not to do something one of these days lol. I agree, now that Connor is starting to crawl around and now rolls both ways.. OMG he is into EVERYTHING. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I am no help. I look at those ADORAbLE pics in your siggy and think; how do you discipline that innocent face!?!?!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options

I'm focusing on redirection. Giving him something he CAN do to replace everything he CANT. When I speak sternly or try to tell him not to do something he just turns and laughs! Maybe my angry face is funny?

This is us. I try the stern stare down and she ends up giggling at me. Then that makes it very hard for me to not giggle back.

• Options
    JBDamonM said:

I'm sorry. I am no help. I look at those ADORAbLE pics in your siggy and think; how do you discipline that innocent face!?!?!

I wish I could see sigggys on mobile :-(

• Options
    tondraluv said:
    I always try to sternly say no then Brayden does this nose this my MIl taught him! every single time

Oh my gosh he is so cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    As said above, a 6 month old can't understand consequences. I think a stern "no"/"no" alternative in your case and redirection is the best you can do.
  • Options
    Move it somewhere else.  This is the part that tells you how unbabyproofed your home really is :)  My cats food and water had to be moved into the laundry room behind a gate they had to jump.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    @tondraluv OMG that face!!! Haha too cute
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Continue (again and again and again) saying, " No, yucky" or "No, danger" when your child does the behavior and redirect to an appropriate area to play like pp said. It will take a LONG time, but eventually they will understand and they'll understand why... Even if it takes another year ;)
    "As soon as I saw you I knew an adventure was going to happen." ~Winnie the Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"