Breastfeeding

fast flow

NukkeNukke member
edited October 2013 in Breastfeeding
My daughter has been weaned from the shield and breastfeeding for about two weeks now. She always has trouble latching, especially on my right side. She latches and unlatches. Roots, swallows, chokes. When she finally does stay on, she drains the breast in just five minutes and gulps with every breath. I finally figured out that my flow is way way too fast. I put the shield on the right side tonight because she wouldn't latch, and now she's happy to stay latched. Now she has about three or four sucks before a big swallow as it should be.

So my question is, what can be done, if anything, about such a forceful letdown and fast flow problem?

Re: fast flow

• Hand expressing some can help. Also leaning back so she's fighting gravity can slow the flow. Look up biological nursing too

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • You can try pulling her off for a minute during letdown if it is spraying and let it run into a towel until it stops, then put her back on. I have to do this with my LO every once in a while when I'm super full or else she keeps gagging/choking.

• Loading the player...
  • PPs gave good advice. Here's some more tips from kellymom: https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"