Stay at Home Moms
Options

What to do all day...

So now that it is getting cooler and cooler out...

What do you do all day.  I have a two year old lil boy and babysit a 4 year old little girl.  This is the first winter I will be a SAHM and am worried we are going to go nuts!  I know there are tons to do but with the skill level of a 2 year old and a 4 year old I find it hard to find things they can both do and enjoy.  
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Re: What to do all day...

• Options

We just decorated sugar cookies and it kept DD so busy for 45 minutes with sprinkles and M&Ms and cookie dough that I think it may make our weekly list of activities. 

We also do a lot of craft type activities.  Gluing pom poms to letters on construction paper. 

We do a lot of sensory play in the bath that she loves.  And when she's a crank, we do it right in the middle of the afternoon, not necessarily at bathtime.  I just don't know how that would work with a 4 year old too.  Maybe they can wear bathing suits. 

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • Options
    I have a 10 month old, and babysit a 14 month old and a 2.5 year old. Mostly, the little ones play next to each other, and the 2.5 y/o plays babies with stuffed animals.

If its not raining, we get at least some outside time most days, either playing in the yard, going to the park, or just for a walk. I made sensory bags for the little ones, we sometimes paint with yogurt colored with food dye, 2.5 y/o likes to color and cut and paste. We occasionally bake, too. Music is playing most of the day so there's lots of impromptu singing and dancing.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  The little girl I babysit has asthma so her mom doesn't want her outside if it is cold or windy.  :/  

We have still been going outside and to the park and things...just thinking about winter time!   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Thanks ladies.  The little girl I babysit has asthma so her mom doesn't want her outside if it is cold or windy.  :/  

We have still been going outside and to the park and things...just thinking about winter time!   
    That must be tough!  When my kids are restless, out the back door I send them!  
  • Options
    @LalaMama81 No idea...maybe I should ask my dr. Her mom is the same lady that told me she didn't want to bring her over when DS had an ear infection because her doc said her daughter could catch it.  I worked in the medical field for 12 years before coming home and NEVER heard this.  Also cked with my doc and she said "umm no"  

• Options
    I joined a moms club which is great for giving me a few more opportunities for organized activities each week, we actually just got home from the Halloween party.  If we lived closer to indoor entertainment like a children's museum or aquarium I would have a membership and go there regularly.  Story time at the library or bookstore is a fun option.  When DD is older I will probably do craft type activities.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    CnAmom said:

I have asthma and I always played outside in the winter. The cold air should actually help open up the airways.

Me too. I used to swim and when I got asthma attacks or had a real difficult time berthing id always go out into the hall put of the pool area for the cold air. It always helped me get my breathing under control again

• Options
    spring_timespring_time member
    edited October 2013
    @LalaMama81 No idea...maybe I should ask my dr. Her mom is the same lady that told me she didn't want to bring her over when DS had an ear infection because her doc said her daughter could catch it.  I worked in the medical field for 12 years before coming home and NEVER heard this.  Also cked with my doc and she said "umm no"  
    I also had two friends tell me this.  For the life of me, I don't understand how an ear infection could be contagious, but it seems to be a common assumption.

When I taught, I had a lot of parents tell me their children could not go outside for recess with their asthma.  I told parents unless I had a doctors note, they were going outside.  Mysteriously, those doctors notes never appeared.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would ask her how cold is too cold and let her know that you still plan on going outside when reasonable. Most school districts have a rule about what the temp has to be to go outside, maybe find yours out and go by that?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We're members of the y and go there a lot in the winter. I know facilities vary greatly but ours has an indoor bouncy house, craft tables, easels, mini basketball court, train tables, separate area for kids under three, etc. the kids are occupied for three hours easy and i can pack a lunch to eat in the lobby, can leave them alone while i work out and/or bump in the lobby while having a cup of coffee, etc. could you do something like that? They may allow you to add her to a family membership. We also do story time at the library for a change of scenery as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That would be cool, we do have a  Y very close.  I will have to ck into that.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"