Babies on the Brain
Options

Upcoming TTC

Hello ladies!
 My husband and I are going to start TTC the beginning of 2015. When is the right time to start taking prenatal vitamins? 
Anniversary

Trying to Conceive Ticker

TTC since September '14
Got our furry child, Tigh July '13
Me: 22  DH: 26
Together since '11
Married July 20th, 2013

Re: Upcoming TTC

• Options
    I began ttc in July and began taking prenatal vitamins in May -- so a little over 2 months before hand. 
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    It's recommended that all women of child bearing age take PNVs
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ducktale said:
    I have not heard this, but I am curious now. I have been told by several doctors taking it for longer than necessary can be damaging.

The general rule I was given was 3 months prior to TTC, and the duration of breastfeeding PP. After that, it is recommended to stop because of the high amounts comparative to your standard daily multivitamin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    rjeller32rjeller32 member
    edited October 2013
    Ducktale said:
    I have not heard this, but I am curious now. I have been told by several doctors taking it for longer than necessary can be damaging.

The general rule I was given was 3 months prior to TTC, and the duration of breastfeeding PP. After that, it is recommended to stop because of the high amounts comparative to your standard daily multivitamin.
    My last two OBs told me that all women of child bearing age should take PNVs. The reasoning I was given was that by the time most women find out they are pregnant the spinal cord has already formed and it would be too late to get the folic acid necessary to prevent spina bifida or a similar condition.
    Huh, that is good to know. Thanks for the information. I guess it's good to be safe.

I guess I just really question why what I have been told about the high levels being damaging to your body for extended amounts of time is incorrect or could be incorrect And in medical terms, what is the age of TTC?

ETA: added italicized.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options
    My doc said 3 months prior.
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    @rjeller32 taking a daily PNV does not equal high levels of vitamins and won't cause damage to your body.  The issues come from people who take doses over the upper limit tolerance usually by taking multiple high dose pills (like combining individual iron pills, vitamin B/C/A AND a multivitamin). Unless you have an underlying illness like liver or kidney trouble it is highly improbable you will hurt yourself with a daily PNV.

For the general medical guidelines, any woman who is having sex and hasn't entered menopause is considered of childbearing age and should be taking a PNV.  So basically, as soon as you become sexually active you should be taking a PNV.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
    Great question, I asked it myself! My husband and I are going to start TTC in July 2014, our first wedding anniversary. My OB/GYN told me to finish off the vitamins I'm currently taking (15 days left) and then start myself on prenatal. I have to purchase a prenatal that is high in B-6 (or supplement) to try to increase my progesterone levels and lengthen my luteal phase. There are several benefits of prenatal vitamins and they are different for nearly everyone. We discovered we could benefit from months of prenatal vitamins prior to TTC because of our charting. Not knowing this prior would have led to a high potential of severe fertility frustration! Some women don't start until after they get a positive pregnancy test, others a month or two before, some longer. It really depends on your body and what your OB/GYN suggests.
  • Options
    I met with my doctor in August, told her we were going to start trying in January and she said to start PNVs then.  (I already had).

It's nice - My hair is growing like WHOA.  Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"