Breastfeeding
Options

Help!

I had to go out of town on a work trip for three weeks (I'll be back home in 3 days), and I wasn't able to bring DD with me. She had been breastfed up until that point, with the addition of solids. I brought a pump with me to try to keep up my supply, but do to an extremely busy schedule, having to share a rental car with coworkers, and not having much privacy overall, I was only able to pump 3 times a day on most days. Now I only get 1/2 to 1 oz. from each side when I pump if I'm lucky. I was planning on breastfeeding until DD is a year old, but now I'm worried about having to stop sooner. Is there any hope in getting my supply back up enough when I get home? I know about drinking lots of water and eating oatmeal, but I don't want to have to choke down extra supplements.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: Help!

• Options
    I returned to work when LO was 4 weeks old. The first week back I would get engorged after about 2 hours of being at work. I noticed that as I worked more I wouldn't become engorged. For the past couple weeks I haven't been engorged once. I tried pumping multiple times a day but I was still only getting MAYBE 2 ounces all together. I started taking Fenugreek yesterday and I've been engorged a couple times already! And when I pump I get 3-4oz! I heard it doesn't work for some women or that it upsets their stomachs but I haven't had any side effects.
  • Options

I agree with PPs.  You'll need lots of nursing sessions.  You could also try power pumping where you pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes.  Do that once a day for a few days. 

Also consider fenugreek, eating oatmeal, flaxseed, drinking mother's milk tea. 

I went OOT at 6 months PP for two days.  My supply dipped because I only pumped 5 times a day then.  Tt took about 10 days of religiously pumping or nursing every 2-3 hours with one 6 hour stretch of sleep at night.  So don't freak if you don't see results right away.  Keep at it.  

image imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"