June 2013 Moms

Brothers' Liver Transplant

A couple of weeks ago, in Monday's Bitchfest, I mentioned that my older brother is having a liver transplant on November 1. 

For those that didn't read it, here's a re-cap: 
At the beginning of July, my brother was admitted to the hospital for throwing up blood. It turned out to be his blood vessels bursting in his esophagus. They later discovered that his liver was really scarred and it wasn't functioning properly. He lost a lot of blood and we almost lost him. He had bands put on the vessels to stop the bleeding in his esophagus and they put a stent in his liver to help the blood flow.
He has been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis, which means that his body was attacking his own liver. So it was nothing that he did, just something that happens. 
My younger brother is match to be a living donor, so he will be giving my older brother about 60% of his liver. 
I have never been so scared. I feel bad that I can't be there for the surgery. It's happening in Minneapolis, where my older brother lives, and I live in Manitoba. My parents are out there now, but my sister and I are staying in Manitoba. My sister has two kids and is pregnant with her third. It would be too difficult for us to go. 
If you ladies could spare any thoughts and/or prayers for my brothers and my family, it would be appreciated. You ladies are all awesome!!

Re: Brothers' Liver Transplant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"