Cloth Diapering

More absorbency than a BG Freetime?

My 6 1/2 month boy is starting to leak out of his diaper ON. I tried looking up the absorbency tests others have done, but I don't have any of that in my stash. Yet. ;).

I stuck a bamboo insert in tonight. It seemed a little gappy, I hope it doesn't leak worse.

I have GMD prefolds, bamboo inserts and microfiber inserts. I also have one simplex, I don't think he has leaked out of that one?

I read on kitchen somethingrather's blog that Motherease AIO are the best. And kissaloves fitted, I think. Opinions on these? I'm thinking if a GMD fitted would work, wouldn't one of their prefolds?
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: More absorbency than a BG Freetime?

• Ummmmm, no. I've never heard much on those and Kissas are really only good for newborns. At this age I prefer Sbish, Twinkie Tush, and Goodmama for ON fitted (TT's being my personal fave since they have such a large fit and tons of absorbency). For AIO's I haven't liked any really. I'm a pocket gal myself and my favorites are Blueberry pockets and BG 4.0's. I have some Freetimes, but they suck so much. I hate them.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have 4.0s! What should I stuff them with?

Also, my guy is not even 15 pounds yet. He is a lean boy.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I stuff mine with both inserts. Works for us. Sometimes I'll take a newborn and throw a hemp behind it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Maybe I will stuff a 4.0 with a couple bamboo inserts. Would that be enough? I don't know how they compare with microfiber. I could also stuff with a prefold.

I also don't have BG inserts, they were seconds, so I have Chinese microfiber. Alva and JCtrade, I think.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Microfiber absorbs faster then bamboo so you might want to stick one of those on top then stuff it.
    I like wrapping a hemp with a prefold. It works for my 2 year old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do MF on top and bamboo on bottom.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I'm with Nana that I love fitteds for nighttime.  However, we actually have had just as much luck with using a prefold and a bamboo or hemp doubler under a cover.  I think you could stuff that in a pocket too. We just like our coveralls covers a bunch! He became a heavy wetter around 4 months, and that ON solution still works at almost 13 months.  The only change we made was to size up in prefolds around 8 months or so.

image imageimageimage

• Are fitteds more prone to ammonia or barnyard than stuffing with prefolds and inserts?
  • Are fitteds more prone to ammonia or barnyard than stuffing with prefolds and inserts?
    I don't see why they would be. It's diapers that have lots of layers sewn together that seem to develop those problems. But if you have a good wash routine you shouldn't have a problem at all.

Fitteds are great if your LO is a side sleeper or tends to move around while sleeping.

My skinny little guy tended to get leaks out of the waist with his 4.0, so I abandoned it pretty early on as a ON diaper.

We have very recently started battling the stinky toddler pee issue.  Both my ON prefolds and fitteds developed ammonia.  The fitteds were worse, but everything we used for ON had it.  It was easier to get rid of it and keep it away with the prefolds though.  A quick boil with washing soda and rinsing out the diaper when we take it off him in the morning seems to have solved it.  The fitteds couldn't be boiled because of the snaps.  So it took longer soaking in washing soda and more washes to get them clean.  Now I rinse them in the morning too & knock on wood so far so good.

image imageimageimage

• Thanks guys! I think I will try and prefold and one of my covers or pockets. The bamboo insert laid in the BGF worked fine. It was super bulky though.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"