Baby Names
Options

How to narrow down names ?

aprilbaby2014aprilbaby2014 member
edited October 2013 in Baby Names
I'm desperate for help at this point .

I have a list of girls names - 112 to be exact .
& a list of boys names - 72 .

I really like them all & have no idea how to narrow them down this is ridiculous .

We are also Team Green . Go figure haha . TIA .
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How to narrow down names ?

• Options
    Does SO have any that they want to veto? That usually cuts the list down significantly! Then do any just not quite 'click'? Take those out. Any without middle name options, NN options, meanings you don't like etc. can be out too... You can also always post some on here for voting!
    Natural M/C 03.26.2012 at 10w2d
    Charlotte born at 28w3d due to severe IUGR on 12.24.2012 Merry Christmas!
    Missed M/C discovered 12.22.2014 at 8w1d measuring 6w3d
    2015 was a year to test strength of both body and character, but it led us to this... BFP 01.26.2016 EDD 9.30.2016
  • Options
    Really?  You like 112 different names for girls?  What does your SO think?  I'd start there and let them narrow down the list a bit for you.  Also, are any of them similar with slight variations (Elizabeth/Elisabeth/Beth, Catherine/Katherine/Cate/Katie)?  Can you not narrow down some variants too?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Does SO have any that they want to veto? That usually cuts the list down significantly! Then do any just not quite 'click'? Take those out. Any without middle name options, NN options, meanings you don't like etc. can be out too... You can also always post some on here for voting!

We have pretty similar taste so he one way or another likes them . I haven't even checked into meanings - thank you ! I was thinking maybe a third of the list at a time posting it on here ? I know our styles are pretty all over the place too which doesn't help much .

• Options

Haha, man! That's a long list! I feel you, though; we've got two long lists for both sexes, and I don't even want to think about trying to narrow it down.

I guess my first question would be, does your SO agree on all of these names? DH has whittled our list down to a pretty manageable number because there are lots of names I like that he doesn't. So I guess I'd start by putting the list in SO's hands (maybe a little at a time? 180+ names are a lot to go through in one sitting!).

Are a lot of the names very similar? There's really no point in having Juliet, Julia and Juliana all on the same list; you can only use one of them because they're too similar to use on subsequent children. I'd pick a favorite of the similar names and scratch the rest.

Are there any names that concern you for any reason? Too popular? Too strange? Too masculine/feminine? Too ethno-specific? Too old or dated? Too trendy? Too similar to a friend or family member's? If you have doubts about any of them, get rid of them. You have too many names to deliberate over one you like but don't know if you could actually use.

...That's at least where I would start. I'm sure you'll get some other good suggestions, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Figure out what is most important to you in a name, popularity, how easy it is to spell/pronounce, etc.

• Options
    mj.reilly said:
    • Go through and pick at least one name a day that you couldn't see yourself actually using.
    • You and your SO/DH each use one of the names when going out (ordering coffee / lunch / etc) — a different name each time to see how they feel.
    • Say them aloud — act like you are saying something to your child. Actually SAY them, though, don't just think them.
    • You might have 100+ names, but does your SO/DH like them all? Have him go through the list and cross off names he doesn't like and highlight names he does like. Ask him if there are any names that he likes or wants to use.
    • Go through and pick ten names from each list that you absolutely love and feel like you might regret it if you don't use them.
    • Ask for opinions on here. :) We can help pair them down (I had a similar sized list).

This is a great suggestion! I've ditched so many names before even bringing them up with DH because after saying them 3-4 times aloud, I just couldn't imagine saying them all the time, every day. It wasn't really until having DD1 that I realized how much I have to like saying the name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

If any of them are Neveah or end in -aiden, please cut them right now ;)

I despise Neveah & Aiden is a cousin... But there is a variant /:

• Options
    mj.reilly said:
    • Go through and pick at least one name a day that you couldn't see yourself actually using.
    • You and your SO/DH each use one of the names when going out (ordering coffee / lunch / etc) — a different name each time to see how they feel.
    • Say them aloud — act like you are saying something to your child. Actually SAY them, though, don't just think them.
    • You might have 100+ names, but does your SO/DH like them all? Have him go through the list and cross off names he doesn't like and highlight names he does like. Ask him if there are any names that he likes or wants to use.
    • Go through and pick ten names from each list that you absolutely love and feel like you might regret it if you don't use them.
    • Ask for opinions on here. :) We can help pair them down (I had a similar sized list).
    A+++ Great advice MJ!
  • Options
    Say them a lot. You will start to like more than others.
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options
    allardrallardr member
    edited October 2013
    Some names on our longer list were variations like: Grace, Gracelyn so group similar names and pick your favorite in each group. That'll get rid of a few. 

Then check meaning or popularity (whichever matters to you). Consider sibset too if that applies.

*I also agree say them lots!

Also take a break & go back to list a few days/weeks later. See if tastes have changed. I love a lot of names but does not mean I'd name my kid that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"