Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Is my 15 month DD advanced?

Hey ladies, so I'm just wondering if this is normal or advanced not quite sure. My DD at 10 months knew all her animal sounds after me just saying them to her once or twice. I know that isn't that big of a deal just wanted to point it out. She also said a three word sentence a few days ago, and she knows most of her shapes. I bought her some flash cards last week, went over them with her once and she can pick out every thing in the deck of cards if you ask her for it. I lay out all the cards and ask her to give me such and such and she does every time. She'll be 15 months in a couple of days. So not yet. Just wondering what you ladies think. Thanks.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Is my 15 month DD advanced?

• Thanks magentawarped. Good advice. For the rest of you weirdos! My daughter has a very fun and amazing childhood so far and I do read her books as well as take her to zoos parks aquariums and yes we do flash cards! No harm in that. And I care that's who cares. So I asked if she was advanced maybe you ladies need to not respond to my post if you have nothing beneficial to say. Stop being so miserable!...lol
  • Loading the player...
  • No as a matter of fact that's not what I expected. I do understand that exploring the word offers more than a flash card ever will and she explores plenty. There's nothing wrong in my opinion with reading and using flash cards with your child. Everyone is entitled to raise their child the way they want. I was simply asking a question to try and figure our whether or not she was advanced. I'm not calling Mensa nor did I say my child was a genius. Everyone likes to know where their child stands in language development or in meeting developmental milestones. Thats why there are so many posts asking how many words can your LO say or Does your LO do this or that. I figured maybe mothers who have toddlers can kind of give me some answers. Not judge me and think I'm trying to show off.
  • Yeah because that's exactly what the title of my post was right? Sorry you read it like that but that's not how I was trying to come off.

I will talk to my pedi just thought this would be a good place to ask other mothers but I guess I was mistaken.
  • Yes, I would say your DD is ahead of most babies in these areas. That said, what was the point of this post? Obviously, you're not concerned that your baby is "too smart" so it seems like you're just posting to show off. It's one thing to be proud of your kid but that's not at all how this post comes across.

• On my birth month board we do a It Makes Me Smile Monday post where we get to share cute things or accomplishments that our LOs are doing. Sometimes we're so amazed as parents over the things they do it gives us on the board a chance to brag a little bit. Maybe we should start a IMMS thread on the 12-24 month board?
  • Op, some people don't like reading posts that sound braggy, even if they aren't meant to be. Your dd seems pretty well developed language wise. Fwiw, when my 20 month old said, "I love you mama" I figured she could just stop there :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • your DD does seem to have a great grasp on language.  If you want to develop that maybe look into some sort of schooling or something or talk to you dr, no one here will have anything positive to say to you.  
    On the preschool board there was a post recently about how people would be upset if their LO was doing worksheets and not playing most of the day.  I can't believe the writing my DD, 3, has been coming home with lately.  I'm so impressed, I thought the class may have been above her, but I never would have expected a 3 year old to write as well as she does.  That being said, if I think she's still doing so well going into kindergarden, or maybe even at her next dr appointment, I'll say something, I wouldn't expect much support, encouragement, or advice for The Bump on something like that
  • DawnLilly said:
    On my birth month board we do a It Makes Me Smile Monday post where we get to share cute things or accomplishments that our LOs are doing. Sometimes we're so amazed as parents over the things they do it gives us on the board a chance to brag a little bit. Maybe we should start a IMMS thread on the 12-24 month board?
    This is a cute idea.  My husband and I were just talking about how parents tend (ourselves included) to have what I call "baby goggles" - the equivalent of beer goggles - in how we think our kids are so cute, so smart, so advanced in whatever way, when in reality they're probably just doing the same things most kids their age are doing.  It's tempting to want post all the ah-mazing things your kid is doing but you totally run the risk of looking like a big AW (and sorry, OP, even if you didn't mean it to, your post did come across that way. Honestly, I rolled my eyes at your post title alone.)  Maybe a free-for-all everyone brag post is not a bad idea!  That way we can AW-away and, bonus, maybe get the reality check we sometimes need that, yeah our kid is awesome, but he's really not that much more awesome than every other kid on the block.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nicb13 said:
    your DD does seem to have a great grasp on language.  If you want to develop that maybe look into some sort of schooling or something or talk to you dr, no one here will have anything positive to say to you.  
    On the preschool board there was a post recently about how people would be upset if their LO was doing worksheets and not playing most of the day.  I can't believe the writing my DD, 3, has been coming home with lately.  I'm so impressed, I thought the class may have been above her, but I never would have expected a 3 year old to write as well as she does.  That being said, if I think she's still doing so well going into kindergarden, or maybe even at her next dr appointment, I'll say something, I wouldn't expect much support, encouragement, or advice for The Bump on something like that
    But yet you still come to this awful place.
    I like how you specifically did not bold "on something like that" which totally takes what I said our of context.  And she isn't getting many positive comments is she?
  • ALHickok1ALHickok1 member
    edited October 2013

Ah, it quoted the wrong person, will try again.

April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Nicb13 said:
    your DD does seem to have a great grasp on language.  If you want to develop that maybe look into some sort of schooling or something or talk to you dr, no one here will have anything positive to say to you.  
    But yet you still come to this awful place.
    I don't post here often as I just became active again and my little man is almost 2 so I will be moving over soon. I just wanted to say your son is freaking adorable!
    April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Mine was reading the dictionary and thesaurus and was close to being fluent in Spanish. Lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"