Baby Showers
Options

Ugh. Shower games...

Long story short: I am hosting my little sister's (18) baby shower soon, and I wasn't planning on doing any games since a majority of the guest list are our older family members, or adults in general. I'm a firm believer that adults can certainly entertain themselves, and don't need any melted candy bars, or baby food shoved down their throats to have a good time. However, I mentioned this in passing to my sister, that I wasn't planning any games, and she got kind of sad about it. Said she likes baby shower games, and was looking forward to them. /sigh So in an effort to make this shower something she'll really enjoy, I'd like your opinion on a couple games I came up with.
The first, I figured we do a simple word scramble of baby words. I imagine it could be fun, but not a big time waster (see how many you can get in, say, 5 minutes).
The second: I saw an idea for a "price is right" shower game, where I have different baby items on a table, and people have to guess the price. The one to gets the closest to the price on the most items, wins. I assumed I'd set this up, and just have people go over a guess at their convenience, then determine the winner just before presents.

What do you all think? Are these "low key" enough for adults, yet still "fun" enough? Any other ideas?

Re: Ugh. Shower games...

• Options

I personally love shower games and they don't have to involve the gross candy in the diaper ones or guess the baby food.

I'm not a huge fan of guessing prices of things, because it seems a little tacky to me (like guessing the price of a gift almost). Gift bingo, baby abcs, where you have to come up with a baby item for each letter of the alphabet.

A variation of that is taking the word baby or the letters of the baby's name and having a baby item for each one (something that will fit inside a small bag). The guests have to guess what item is inside. Like there's a bottle in the first bag, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KatFCo said:

I personally love shower games and they don't have to involve the gross candy in the diaper ones or guess the baby food.

I'm not a huge fan of guessing prices of things, because it seems a little tacky to me (like guessing the price of a gift almost). Gift bingo, baby abcs, where you have to come up with a baby item for each letter of the alphabet.

A variation of that is taking the word baby or the letters of the baby's name and having a baby item for each one (something that will fit inside a small bag). The guests have to guess what item is inside. Like there's a bottle in the first bag, etc.

Good point about price guessing. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Options
    I love nursery rhyme quiz-
    what did the 3 little kittens lose?
    what were Jack and Jill getting on the hill?
    etc
  • Options
    BeckyOff said:
    I love nursery rhyme quiz-
    what did the 3 little kittens lose?
    what were Jack and Jill getting on the hill?
    etc
    Oh, I like that!

• Options
    People liked the match the baby to the celebrity game at mine.
    I played that before, it was a good time. My fear would be that the "older" guests wouldn't enjoy it as much, since they may not know most the celebrities, and even if they do, they wouldn't know a single one. :/

• Options
    I love the price is right game, I did this for my sister
    But I mixed it with the game where she has to reach and guess the items in the bag with a blind fold. So she would try to guess the baby item without looking then the others would write down how much they thought the item was. It was fun!!!
  • Options
    I've seen the memory game done.  A friend of mine did this where she had a basket full of baby items (laid out so that they were all visible).  She slowly walked the basket around and gave everyone a chance to look at it, then she hid it and told everyone to write down as many of the items as they remember. 

Another version of this is to have the MTB hold the basket, but then have her take the basket out and then ask everyone write down as much as they noticed about what the MOM was wearing. 

Another version is ot have baby items clipped to a clothes line that's hung up in the room.  At one point, remove it, and.. you know the rest.  Have people write down what they remember.

Another game - put baby items in paper bags labeled "A, B, C" etc.  Pass them around and people have to feel them through the bag and guess what they are.  I enjoyed this game, but was annoyed at the same time because I wasn't a mother yet and I didn't know what a lot of the items were.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    sschwege said:
    I'm a fan of the bingo game for gift opening.
    If you have to have a game I suggest this.  Personally, I think games at showers are a total waste of time, but maybe that's just me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ELauren88 said:
    People liked the match the baby to the celebrity game at mine.
    I played that before, it was a good time. My fear would be that the "older" guests wouldn't enjoy it as much, since they may not know most the celebrities, and even if they do, they wouldn't know a single one. :/
    Actually, I think one of the fun things about this one is that you often find out that people you'd never guess it are closeted but avid People and US weekly readers - at a shower I went to recently the MTB got 20/20 correct in like 30 seconds and everyone was shocked, it was pretty funny :)
  • Options
    I'm surprised so many people like gift bingo, I just like to sit back and relax...maybe eat cake , while the gifts are opened. I don't want to have to keep looking for the gift on a piece of paper (not that it's a lot of work...I just find it annoying). I went to a shower with the Price is Right Game and never thought it was tacky cause you were guessing the price of gifts. The things you guessed were basic things like nail clippers, diaper ointment, shampoo, etc. It's no big secret as to the price range of these things. Although I'm with you about no games, I think your choices are low key enough.
  • Options
    I like many of the ideas given (price is right sounds fun). This is just another idea: Animal baby name game.
    It's just a list of animals that guest have to write the name of that baby animal (goat - kid).
    I found out that older ppl do well at this game and like it. Guess because most grew up on farms or at least learned a lot about animals growing up. Every time played , I've seen an "older" person win.
    The person with the most right wins.

Just don't force ppl to play. Some ppl just want to watch.
  • Options
    You can do the baby shower game on guessing how big sis is using string. Bring a soft string roll, color of the string can match the shower, and everyone has to eyeball how much string it would take to wrap your sisters belly. Have a string already measured out to the correct length so at the end, it would quick to find out the winner vs. every guest going up to her and measuring it out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You can do the baby shower game on guessing how big sis is using string. Bring a soft string roll, color of the string can match the shower, and everyone has to eyeball how much string it would take to wrap your sisters belly. Have a string already measured out to the correct length so at the end, it would quick to find out the winner vs. every guest going up to her and measuring it out.
    Please don't do this. It's often embarrassing for the mother. Because then everyone has to talk about how big she is, or how small she is. She may be one of the rare people who doesn't mine, but it seems like most MTBs don't need multiple dissertations on how her size at this time isn't correct, or to be told how large she is. That isn't a way to make her feel good and enjoy herself.
    Yea, that's a no go. Thank you for the suggestion, but my sis is pretty sensitive about her weight as is. I know she shouldn't be, because, well, she's pregnant. But, I'd still like to be sensitive to her feelings.

• Options
    At my shower, my SIL passed out five diapers and shaped post it notes to each guest. Each guest write a note-either advice or something funny- on a note and stuck it on a diaper. My favorite (of the few I looked at) was "I probably shouldn't have eaten that bean burrito." the game was fun and practical-and included several sizes and brands of diapers.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    TImer going off during present opening, person gets a prize.  Instead of celebrity babies, you could do name the children in the sitcom family.  I am not a big fan of shower games, but the paper quiz ones are tolerable.

• Options
    I love shower games.  Showers are an awkward mix of people that don't know each other.  Sometimes it breaks the ice and gives people something to talk about.  Also, driving all the way to the shower just to sit around and talk is really boring.  I hate the showers where you sit around with some punch, then watch someone open gifts, and eat a few hors d'oeuvres.  It seems like the party is just for gifts rather than celebrating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"