September 2013 Moms
Options

Positive parent/in-law stories

I love a good "My MIL is crazycakes" story as much as the next person, but I decided I wanted to share a happy parent story today.

My mom is awesome and we're close, but she drove me crazy during pregnancy. I was worried about how she'd be when the baby came, but I have been SO pleasantly surprised. She is amazing. She was there during labor and then my c-section, and she was so supportive and wonderful. There's really something about having your mama close in times like that. :) Then she stayed with me for four or five days once DH had to go back to work, and that was awesome- she cleaned up after me, cooked, snuggled Caleb to give me time to sleep or eat or whatever, and kept me company. I really miss having her here.

Overall I'm so lucky to have her. She never gives me annoying or unwanted advice, and she never makes me feel inadequate. She's constantly affirming me as a good mom, even when I feel like I've screwed up or don't know what I'm doing. She's so encouraging and sweet, and she's been really affectionate and proud of me and that means a lot (we aren't a very lovey dovey family, in general). It's not that I didn't think she'd be proud of me, more just that we don't express that very well in our family. I'm really enjoying how good she's making me feel about being a parent, and how she's totally there for me in a non-judgemental way when I have a question or concern. And of course I love seeing her with Caleb- she's so crazy about him and it's wonderful. My dad is, too, and I love spending time with them these days.

How have you grown closer to your parents or in-laws since your baby came? I'd love to hear other people's stories. :)

Re: Positive parent/in-law stories

• Options
    My story isn't about getting closer to my patents or IL but my sister. We have never been close and sometimes our relationship was pretty non existent. there is almost 7 years between us so I think that contributes to it. I was worried when I got pregnant that it would cause more problems between my sister and I since she has always had fertility issues and has never been able to have a baby. But I have been incredibly surprised! She has been awesome! So helpful she came over a couple days a week to help me in the beginning and she calls all the time just to talk and give me support! I truly love her now and I am so glad she is in my life!!
  • Options
    My MIL has been coming to my house every Tuesday and Thursday to pick up my 3 yo dd and bring her to preschool for me. What a help its been!!! It's so hard to get out the door with a newborn at that hour.....

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My parents came from abroad and rented an apartment so that they don't impose on us (even though i wouldn't mind having them at all it would just be tight). They stayed for 5 weeks and my dad went back and forth to Cyprus 3 times so that he can work as well (he even rushed from Cyprus to NY when Zoe had to have emergency surgery). For 5 weeks they were incredibly supportive from our time in the hospital where my mom would bring us meals ever day, to when we went back home where they grocery shopped for us the entire time, cooked for us, helped take care of Zoe and even made us go out a couple of times for a date night while they babysat. I'm so incredibly blessed and lucky to have them and just pray that God keeps them safe and healthy.
  • Options
    My mom and sister came to stay with us for a couple days when my LO was born. My sister has a one year old, but she was so helpful when she was here. She bought us groceries, cooked meals, did laundry and dishes. I've never been more thankful for her. It helped having someone around who had just had a baby not too long ago. She helped me learn how to give a bath and practice swaddling.

My ILs live one mile from our house, but they are so respectful of our space. They always ask if it's a good time to come over or if we can come over and visit. They are going to take care of LO once I go back to work in January and I'm so thankful I don't have to take him to a daycare and that he can be with people who have a personal connection and strong love for him :)
  • Options
    My ILs are almost 80 and don't come to visit us that much but they made the drive down and brought us 5 giant boxes of diapers. They have been collecting money for our diaper fund when they found out I was pregnant. Tear!!

• Options
    My mom has been super helpful and involved but she forgot DDs Halloween outfit when she came this weekend so she came back today to bring it driving over an hour out of the way just to drop it off and hold DD so I could change.
    She's awesome and I couldn't have done this without her.

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have never felt closer to my mom. During my pregnancy I was kind of annoyed by the extra attention she gave me. Like the only reason she cared to me around me all of a sudden was because I was going to have a cute baby soon. But now that Desmond is here I'm just happy I have a relationship with her. Also he loves her so much. He smiles at her and she has been able to teach me how to put him to sleep in ways I wouldn't have thought to try. She really is much better than I would have ever thought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif
  • Options
    I hit the jackpot on all four parents (mine and ILs).

My da loves my girls so much. He makes them so happy and gets down to play with them, teases them, spanks the floor (or table, or sidewalk) when the girls trip and fall... He's awesome!

My mom has been so much help... She knows how it feels to have a bunch of little ones (I turned 5 just 2 months before she had her 4th baby). She is crazy good at showing me tricks to get the girls to behave, participate, try things, do chores etc. she has been at the end of every delivery taking pictures for us. When they were working on my dd1 trying to get her to breathe and I couldn't see or do anything, she brought me the camera so I could see my baby.

ILs are great too. They live 8 hours away, and I hate that we only see them 1 or 2 times a year.

Mil has her moments when I'm not quite sure how she wants a comment to be taken (joking or snarky, but not towards me, just in general). Mil had a mil who was tough, and she vowed to never be that type of mil. She does pretty good!

Fil spoils the girls rotten. He's always got treats for them or buys snacks he knows they'll love. I wa worried that he's let them get away with murder, but as they are getting older he's put his foot down on a few (very few) things with them (like making them share or not go into the front yard). So that's good.

Overall, my kids have 4 super grandparents!
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My MIL was here for 3 weeks after Elliot was born (came when he was 1 week old and stayed until week 4). She was a HUGE help with the nighttime stuff. I would get up every 3-4 hours to feed him, but if he fussed in the meantime she would get up with him and soothe him. It really helped me to get through that time without being a total zombie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"