July 2012 Moms

More mealtime talk

Those of you that let your kids eat "on the go" (ie: put their plate on the coffee table and what not), how do you prevent them from grabbing food, walking away with it, and smearing it all over your walls/couches/carpet? How do you prevent them from flipping the entire plate onto the floor? Is K just that far behind everyone in terms of mealtime behavior? I feel like if I set a plate of food on the coffee table and let him go to town I'd be cleaning for a week and he would still be hungry by the time the plate was empty!

During meals, I usually cant even put more than 3 pieces of whatever it is he is eating in front of him or he goes all psycho and swipes both arms back and forth across his tray and knocks all the food off on purpose. I'm still usually at least sitting there with him putting piece after piece on his tray one at a time so he doesn't go into psycho mode. Is anyone else still dealing with this?

Thanks!

Re: More mealtime talk

• @wheelerc I actually do have him clean afterwards. He doesn't do a very good job, but I give him a wet washcloth or paper towel and he wipes his tray up. The dogs go to town on whatever fell on the floor, but he enjoys the cleaning up part and doesn't seem to care that he makes a mess. And if I put the dogs outside and let him down to clean up the floor, he ends up eating off the ground. LOL. I just don't think he makes the connection yet that if he makes a mess, he has to clean it and that is not a good thing. I think its more "Yay! Stuff to throw and then wipe up!" Haha.

• While I don't usually let her eat in the living room, my DH does.  She would usually have somethign that is not super messy like some cheerios.  The only reason there isn't food anywhere is because we have a little vacuum cleaner dog that takes care of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I tell Dagny that the plate stays on the table and she is pretty good about following direction. Food that gets dropped I make her pick up. No issues with smearing but I don't give her anything too messy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"