Babies: 0 - 3 Months

International travel with baby

I was just wondering if anyone else has been in a situation like this and has any advice.  DH is from New Zealand and all of his family live there. We live in the US.  His parents are elderly and his dad in particular is not in the greatest health.  We wanted to plan a visit to see them but found out I am pregnant with a high risk pregnancy (I am due April 17,2014) I was wondering if anyone has done international travel with your child(ren)?  What age were they and how did you cope with their schedule and the time difference?  My thought was it might be better to travel when the pediatrician says baby is clear to go because at that point the schedule is what it is.  I thought it might be more difficult to travel with an older child and honestly I think we need to see my FIL as soon as possible.  Any advice?

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

Re: International travel with baby

• Lurking!!
    My DD3 was five weeks when we flew from Miami (where we live) to Canada (where I am from) for a funeral.  I  bought her her own seat.  She sat in her car seat for take off and landing (twice, through two major airports)  She cuddled and nursed the rest of the trip.  It was just the two of us, my older two stayed home.  We sent her passport away as soon as we could.  I knew that we wanted to go home in November, and she was born in August.  Her passport arrived two days before we left.  It is easier flying when she was this age.  We are heading back to Canada in four days and then off to Ireland to visit family.  It is going to be more disruptive to her schedule, as for time difference, but we will be ok.  We were in Italy over the summer.
  • Due to my pregnancy issues I can not fly before :(  I am thinking the same as you.  I think 2 months would be a good age.  Thank you for your input :)

BabyFruit Ticker

image     image

• Loading the player...
  • I flew w LO at 2 months. It was easy. I had him in his Moby in the airport. He had the paci for take off and landing the first leg of the flight. Changes him between flights. Second leg he nursed. He slept almost the entire time.

The only tricky part was when he pooped on the plane and I changed him in the small plane restroom.

I laid his portable changing mat over the closed toilet and changed him there.
  • Then I'd wait till June then. I wouldn't get a 2 month old their own seat b/c if they have their own seat they need to be in it for taking off and landing. I'd rather be nursing an infant then. 

I baby wear through the airport and gate check the stroller - they stroller can be used for the baby or for lugging gear. 
    Baby should absolutely have his or her own seat.  Obviously in a major incident it wouldn't matter but in turbulence it can make a huge difference in their safety and the safety of other passengers.  Most incidents happen during take off or landing and you have to figure - if your kid is in a car seat while you're driving at a tame 50 miles an hour, they should definitely be in one for a plane during take off and landing.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• elmoali said:
    Then I'd wait till June then. I wouldn't get a 2 month old their own seat b/c if they have their own seat they need to be in it for taking off and landing. I'd rather be nursing an infant then. 

I baby wear through the airport and gate check the stroller - they stroller can be used for the baby or for lugging gear. 
    Baby should absolutely have his or her own seat.  Obviously in a major incident it wouldn't matter but in turbulence it can make a huge difference in their safety and the safety of other passengers.  Most incidents happen during take off or landing and you have to figure - if your kid is in a car seat while you're driving at a tame 50 miles an hour, they should definitely be in one for a plane during take off and landing.
    I don't necessarily disagree completely but to my knowledge the risk on airplanes is pretty low. I believe if it were not then they'd require under 2's to have their own seat. 

I wish the US used the harness belts you get on European carriers, then your lap baby is tethered to you the entire time, eliminated the turbulence risk. 
    I know what you're saying but unfortunately, this is one of those things where laws haven't beaten corporations.  It's always "recommended" that they have their own seat but the airlines so far have been able to avoid it being mandatory but that doesn't mean it's really safe.

• Huh, my Mom friends have traveled via airplane with babies several times a year and none have ever bought a seat for thie child under 2. I'm traveling when my LO is 8 wks and they told me to baby wear and nurse, nurse, nurse. They also said it is way easier when they are under 12 wks. That is our plan....good luck, I love New Zealand, so gorgeous!
  • elmoali said:
    elmoali said:
    Then I'd wait till June then. I wouldn't get a 2 month old their own seat b/c if they have their own seat they need to be in it for taking off and landing. I'd rather be nursing an infant then. 

I don't necessarily disagree completely but to my knowledge the risk on airplanes is pretty low. I believe if it were not then they'd require under 2's to have their own seat. 

I wish the US used the harness belts you get on European carriers, then your lap baby is tethered to you the entire time, eliminated the turbulence risk. 
    I know what you're saying but unfortunately, this is one of those things where laws haven't beaten corporations.  It's always "recommended" that they have their own seat but the airlines so far have been able to avoid it being mandatory but that doesn't mean it's really safe.
    Interesting. I admit I am anal in the car but the risk on the plane seems so much less to me I don't worry about it. Maybe that's wrong. I am trying to find any research on the lap bands/straps european carriers use to see how safe they are - do you know what I'm talking about?

It's funny because I always see you on the same car seat posts I get roped into :)  I think for me the plane issue is more rare but still potentially devastating if the plane were to careen off the runway or something.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"