Multiples

How long until I'm immobile?

I am 24 weeks with di-di twins and god DAMN am I uncomfortable. I have pretty bad SPD and even sleeping and sitting at my desk at work get pretty painful at this point. Even just getting in and out of the car sucks. I feel like it's way too early to be this uncomfortable. My husband was trying to make plans to take a day trip to DC and see a hockey game in December when I'll be 30 weeks but I can't imagine doing anything remotely physical by that point. I went to Target and the grocery store over the weekend, maybe about 45 minutes of standing/walking total and I was done. Okay, it's not even walking. I waddle. It's pathetic.

My question is, is it normal to be this uncomfortable so early on? I know twins are much different but I had friends with singletons who were doing spin classes until their ninth month and I can't even walk the dog around the block at 6 months! How much longer until I can just write off trying to do anything but getting to work and walking to the bathroom on my own? I feel like by the time I'm ready to deliver, I will essentially be a turtle stuck on my back waving my arms around helplessly. Is bed rest due to the pure physical inability to move around (not even baby health reasons) inevitable?

Re: How long until I'm immobile?

• I first started to get uncomfortable at 22 weeks, which felt ridiculous but it's just harder much earlier with twins. Things eased up until about 28 weeks. I wouldn't have wanted to travel after that point, because sitting for long periods was so hard. I was never truly immobile, though, and I made it to 38 weeks 4 days. I was never put on bedrest. I'm one of the lucky ones! But I worked a desk job until 37 weeks, and did some very very light strength training until I delivered. 

30 weeks would probably be tough to be traveling and then walking around a lot, from my experience.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm 31w5d and have been on MBR since 24 weeks. I've tried to do a little shopping here and there but I just can't handle it anymore. The last time I went into the grocery store just to pick up a few things I had to ride the electric cart.

I really need to run into wal-mart to get a few things for my hospital bag but I'm putting it off since I know I'll have to ride the electric cart again. I could never walk that store at this point.

• Loading the player...
  • I love hockey and usually go to a few games a season. We went to 3 Kings games already and told my friends that I was done. It was just too uncomfortable to sit there for so long, and walk from the car to the seats and up the steps to the seats every time I had to pee. The last one was about 2 weeks ago at 25 weeks. 

My discomfort started around 24 weeks, and now at 27 weeks I am finally just admitting its not going to "get better." THOUGH seeing Amylou's post about PT therapy, I might ask about that at my next appt!

Agreed - it is weird that walking is so freaking exhausting while other pregnant ladies are fine all the way to month 9! 

********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Really glad you posted this! I am just over 25 weeks an starting to hit the wall. Walking from the house to the car is a major challenge and a trip to Home Depot today almost layed me in bed for the whole day. Next OB appt I am bringing them a temporary handicap Placard application to beg them to sign for anytime I have to go somewhere and there is not a reasonable space close by.
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I will definitely have to look into physical therapy...work has been awesomely inflexible about me taking time off for pregnancy stuff so maybe I can find a place that has late appointments or can give me some home exercises.

Thanks everyone! I feel better knowing I'm not just being wussy...I sometimes feel like I'm whining and should suck it up. I'm starting to get depressed because I feel like an invalid sometimes.

@CaliCarly77 I'm really bummed about probably not making it to any games this season...it's just so expensive I can't justify paying that much if I'm going to be miserable. And hockey without a few giant beers is kinda sad...

• @CaliCarly77 I'm really bummed about probably not making it to any games this season...it's just so expensive I can't justify paying that much if I'm going to be miserable. And hockey without a few giant beers is kinda sad...
    Where are you located? Games here in L.A. are so ridiculously cheap. 
    jezebel57 said:
    Next OB appt I am bringing them a temporary handicap Placard application to beg them to sign for anytime I have to go somewhere and there is not a reasonable space close by.
    I got the placard. I felt silly at first and now I don't at all - I'm literally hobbling to the car after a long shopping trip and am very glad the car is nice and close! 
    ********************************************************************************************

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • I'm a FTM at almost 21 weeks and I've slowed way down recently. My work days are long and hard. As a 4k teacher I don't have much time at all to sit or fulfill my needs. I'm about ready to throw in the towel! I'm large, uncomfortable, and dealing with pains daily. I wasn't expecting it to be this soon either!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Check out my blog: http://blondheimtwins.blogspot.com/

• I hit my first wall around 28 weeks and then a huge one at 34 weeks.......after 34 it was difficult to go anywhere (grocery store, bank etc) I think my dr took me off work at 30 weeks which I thought was reasonable.....massage therapy really helped me get through and chiropractor too! Best of luck!
  • 28 weeks was when it got tough currently at 31+ and doing anything is just darn near impossible for me. :-/
  • @Amylou333 I wish I would have known about PT when I was pg. I had back sciatica and my lower back was so sore. I also had Pregnancy induce carpal tunnel. I am in physio now because my back still hurts from the spinal. If we get pg again, I'm definitely keeping with the physio

• I hit a wall at 28 weeks and then again at about 35 weeks. It was really hard. I had to keep going though. No bed rest here thank god. I also have a 3 yo and 5 yo. I brought them to school the day of my c-section. I was miserable and so out of breath all the time. I started ordering from peapod because I dreaded going food shopping. It's rough but keep as active s possible. It will help after delivery.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think the pace of your weight gain and level of activity matter, too. I am 37 weeks with fraternal girls and only just hit a wall. I have a 17 month old son, though, and I know that he is why I have stayed so active and gained weight more slowly.

Keeping up with him, getting him out of the house, etc has forced me to be in better shape. I also find that I have less time to eat, and I am burning more calories, so my poor legs have managed to stay strong enough to support the rest of my growing body (belly!!).
  • I was in pain and not wanting to move by 23 weeks. I continued to waddle my way around and worked until 37 weeks. I honestly worked until I was induced. 

It sucked, I was in pain, but I was not completely immobile. I almost wanted to use a cane towards the end to get in and out of my car
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • iloveburritosiloveburritos member
    edited October 2013
    @CaliCarly77 We're in Baltimore...it would be a lot cheaper to go to games on a weeknight but we're too far outside of DC to make it convenient so we're stuck to weekend. Anything lower than 400 level ends up being over $100 a ticket. Plus, I have to pay to park at the Metro lot and pay to take the subway into downtown so it adds up. Lame. You used to be able to get tickets at the doors for under $25...damn you Ovechkin ;) I'm really trying to work up until the last minute to conserve my FMLA time. 

I just wake up every morning feeling like I'm bigger than I was 12 hours earlier so it's kind of scary.
  • @CaliCarly77 We're in Baltimore...it would be a lot cheaper to go to games on a weeknight but we're too far outside of DC to make it convenient so we're stuck to weekend. Anything lower than 400 level ends up being over $100 a ticket. 
    Yeah!! Ovi is why I am a Caps fan! But I imagine he makes tickets $$$!

Regarding the subject matter - I too started ordering my groceries through the delivery service. I figured I might as well start now, get into the habit, then when things get really bad, and when the babies come, I will already have my shopping lists ready to go and can just click "order."

I am 27 1/2 and today I am just miserable. MISERABLE!!! 

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • Some days I truly feel like I could be immobile.. but there's too much to do. I can honestly say there are times that if I laid down without a real plan in place for getting back up.. it might not happen! 

Rolling over in bed isn't worth it anymore, and if I'm getting any sleep, I have to have a decorative pillow wedged between my belly and the bed... and if rolling over does occur.. it's a three point turn, with both hands on my belly, supporting it as it goes over!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"