Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Grunting in sleep

DS, 10 weeks, makes horrible grunting sounds while he sleeps. Normally it is only in the early morning hours after his 3 am feeding. The noises continue until they seem to get so bad that he wakes at 6 am. Does anyone else's LO make these noises? I don't remember my DD doing this. Are they normal? He does have reflux, not sure if that is a factor too.

Re: Grunting in sleep

• Same here. He's loud. It usually stops after he has his morning poop, so I'm not sure if that's him working on it or what. Even if I try and move his legs, make him pass gas....he still does it. So I just let him do it.
  • DD2 is a grunter. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS grunts a lot too throughout the night. It's at its worse right after a feeding. 
    Lilypie - (wpJS)

Kelsey Johnston's photo.  image  image 
    Lilypie - (6yLP)

• my DD wakes me in the middle of the night with her loud grunting.

At first I would jump up and check on her, but she does it so much now it is the norm. I would check on her if she WAS NOT grunting

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

photo 995494_10201874634251509_2140837568_n_zps100d4b3e.jpg  photo 1233578_10201874636811573_1262884022_n_zps62dd524f.jpgphoto 1238881_10201874631771447_929239698_n_zpsee784c85.jpg

• My DS grunts a lot too throughout the night. It's at its worse right after a feeding. 

This for us too! I was s o concerned at first I took him to the pedi, but everything was fine. DH says I have FTM paranoia.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I guess its normal. My DS did it the first one all the time. I asked doctors but they said its normal as his lungs are adjusting to the outside world.

Now he doesn't do it as much.

• Normal. My second kid was suuuper noisy in his sleep.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • sfeebs13sfeebs13 member
    edited October 2013
    I'm learning when LOs grunts mean something and when they don't. She is now 3months and the grunts have calmed down so much.

eta. I worried about reflux also because off her grunting  but the pedi wasn't concerned and she didn't seem uncomfortable to me.
  • My LO doesn't have reflux but also grunts in his sleep. It usually starts around 5 or 6am and drives me crazy until he finally wakes up.
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD isn't a grunter but she does a lot of sweet little "ah's", "ooh's", and "mmm's". 
    imageimageimage

• My daughter talks in her sleep and sucks her hand for comfort. We turn down the monitor sound down, since we can clearly hear her fuss/cry if she does need us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My son did the same where it would be only in the early morning hours. It's stopped over the last few weeks ever since I cut dairy out of my diet. His reflux stopped after that as well.
  • My DS is 8 weeks, and has always been a big grunter. I worried at first, and was constantly checking on him. The pediatrician told us at 2 week checkup not to worry, some babies are just noisy. However, he was diagnosed with reflux last week by a different pediatrician in the office. He still does it, but not as much since we changed bottles and started him on Zantac.

This. We mentioned it to the pedi and she said he will likely outgrow it but to tell her if it gets worse or he seems really uncomfortable. He is 10 weeks now and doesn't do it nearly as much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"