Babies: 0 - 3 Months

XP from baby gear: carrier for up / down stairs?

Our LO does not yet have good head support / neck strength, wiggles a lot and requires 2 hands to carry safely.  We have a couple flights of stairs to contend with and we do not really want to carry him up and down, but prefer to use a carrier, such as our infant car seat.  The issue is that the infant car seat is kind of bulky / cumbersome, not to mention all the straps.  I am not really comfortable with using a Moses basket, I think most of them are marketed with instructions that they are not to be used to carry baby up and down stairs.  I am wondering if there is a safe, sturdy basket made from some sort of canvas material or something that can be used for this purpose?  Otherwise, does anyone recommend a wearable carrier that would be simple to get on and off for doing stairs?  I was just looking at the Joovy babasling, which might work.  

TIA!
TTC #1 12/2009
BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
4/2012 FET BFP #3
5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
Baby,please stay!!
Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP from baby gear: carrier for up / down stairs?

• I mean how many stairs are we talking about? I've never heard of this being an issue? Are you walking from car to apartment or are all these stairs in your home? How often are you climbing the stairs?
  • Yeah, I'm not getting this.  Do you need one of your hands/arms for something else for some reason?  I've never heard of someone without a medical situation needing anything more than their own two arms to carry the baby up and down the stairs.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • cabusbey said:
    my husband was super paranoid about carrying our LO up and down the stairs of our house too.  He suggested using the carseat to carry her up and down to protect her if by chance she fell.  In my opinion its a crazy idea as I'm more likely to drop a heavy carseat than my baby alone, not to mention that would be such a huge pain in the butt.  I think it's something you just have to be conscious of and be careful.  I'm not sure there's any safer way to carry your baby than just carry him.

Unfortunately we can't protect our children from every possible scenario.  All we can do is be extra careful and pay attention when you're going up and down the stairs.  It won't be long till he has more control and will be easier to carry.
    In response to questions re. stairs, there are two flights in our home, and they are hardwood, potentially slippery (I never go up and down in socks).  I realize our concerns may be extreme in some people's minds, but that's what happens when your first child dies unexpectedly and you struggle to have a second one.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that most of the moms on this board can't understand this.  Obviously using a car seat or carrier is sort of a pain, that's why I was asking if anyone knew of alternative solutions.  Thanks anyway.  
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• I would get something like the boba carrier. It will come in handy and you can use it hands free.  I can't imagine how difficult a car seat or basket would be maneuvering stairs. 
  • There is no way for anyone to know your background so there is no reason for you to shame people for not understanding.

Baby wearing is probably going to be your best option but it really will get old doing that every time you want to use stairs. We have 2 sets of stairs in our home and never had a problem. Carriers are great for extended use but even drop in carriers get cumbersome if you are using them for a short time and taking the kid in and out repeatedly.

I understand being overprotective about your child because of your past but at some point you will have to be comfortable doing things like using stairs while carrying your child. Just be careful and everything will be fine.
  • I would baby wear but the carrier you choose is a personal decision. I use a K'tan right now and it's easy. Also, I cluster my trips up and down. If laundry needs to go up I set it by the steps for the next time I'm heading up. If I need to take more up then I put what I can in the basket as well. If I need to bring stuff downstairs, I throw it down to the bottom of the steps, if its not breakable in any way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • llybeck said:
    There is no way for anyone to know your background so there is no reason for you to shame people for not understanding. Baby wearing is probably going to be your best option but it really will get old doing that every time you want to use stairs. We have 2 sets of stairs in our home and never had a problem. Carriers are great for extended use but even drop in carriers get cumbersome if you are using them for a short time and taking the kid in and out repeatedly. I understand being overprotective about your child because of your past but at some point you will have to be comfortable doing things like using stairs while carrying your child. Just be careful and everything will be fine.
    Ummm, I hardly see how I was shaming people.  I genuinely doubt that most people could relate to my situation, which is exceedingly rare, and other posters are right, I did not state that I was particularly paranoid about stairs.  Anyway, maybe a lot of you are mobile users.  When I am on my laptop or tablet, I see siggy details which give background, maybe I was wrong to assume most people could see my siggy.  
    TTC #1 12/2009

1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3

Baby,please stay!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6

• llybeck said:
    There is no way for anyone to know your background so there is no reason for you to shame people for not understanding. Baby wearing is probably going to be your best option but it really will get old doing that every time you want to use stairs. We have 2 sets of stairs in our home and never had a problem. Carriers are great for extended use but even drop in carriers get cumbersome if you are using them for a short time and taking the kid in and out repeatedly. I understand being overprotective about your child because of your past but at some point you will have to be comfortable doing things like using stairs while carrying your child. Just be careful and everything will be fine.
    Ummm, I hardly see how I was shaming people.  I genuinely doubt that most people could relate to my situation, which is exceedingly rare, and other posters are right, I did notstate that I was particularly paranoid about stairs.  Anyway, maybe a lot of you are mobile users.  When I am on my laptop or tablet, I see siggy details which give background, maybe I was wrong to assume most people could see my siggy.  
    I'm genuinely sorry for your loss. That said, your siggy has a LOT of information so people most likely gloss over it.  And even seeing a siggy that shows you've had a loss doesn't explain away your concern over stairs.  I can't imagine all the feelings that go into losing a child but, with all due respect, it seems you're focusing on an issue you're building up in your mind.

• I actually totally understand your concern. I live in a large city and our homes are very vertical . I am guessing people don't understand that you may have to go up and down so much, at least we do. Probably 30 or more times a day. I was concerned bc I have fallen down our stairs 3 times (also wood). I don't have a solution for you, I was interested to see if anyone else did! My MIL won't babysit at our place ( we have to take him to their house) bc of all the stairs:(

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I actually totally understand your concern. I live in a large city and our homes are very vertical . I am guessing people don't understand that you may have to go up and down so much, at least we do. Probably 30 or more times a day. I was concerned bc I have fallen down our stairs 3 times (also wood). I don't have a solution for you, I was interested to see if anyone else did! My MIL won't babysit at our place ( we have to take him to their house) bc of all the stairs:(
    Holy moly - what are you doing going up and down 30 times a day? :)  Make a changing station downstairs.  

• elmoali said:

I actually totally understand your concern. I live in a large city and our homes are very vertical . I am guessing people don't understand that you may have to go up and down so much, at least we do. Probably 30 or more times a day. I was concerned bc I have fallen down our stairs 3 times (also wood). I don't have a solution for you, I was interested to see if anyone else did! My MIL won't babysit at our place ( we have to take him to their house) bc of all the stairs:(

Holy moly - what are you doing going up and down 30 times a day? :)  Make a changing station downstairs.  

Seriously. I mean, I go up and down as needed between 2 floors and the basement but I doubt it's 30 times. I change all diapers on whatever floor I'm on. I also wouldn't take the baby w/ me every single time. I mean, if I'm running up to get laundry or going to get a new roll of tp, why take a newborn? 

This.

You guys must be really fit, haha. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• elmoali said:

I actually totally understand your concern. I live in a large city and our homes are very vertical . I am guessing people don't understand that you may have to go up and down so much, at least we do. Probably 30 or more times a day. I was concerned bc I have fallen down our stairs 3 times (also wood). I don't have a solution for you, I was interested to see if anyone else did! My MIL won't babysit at our place ( we have to take him to their house) bc of all the stairs:(

Seriously. I mean, I go up and down as needed between 2 floors and the basement but I doubt it's 30 times. I change all diapers on whatever floor I'm on. I also wouldn't take the baby w/ me every single time. I mean, if I'm running up to get laundry or going to get a new roll of tp, why take a newborn? 

This.

You guys must be really fit, haha. :)

City living! Now I want to count to see how many times it actually is. Not all are with baby but some!
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I would talk to your pedestrian cian. Mine doesn't want me to baby wear until lo meets the weight requirement and has better head support.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"