June 2013 Moms
Options

dr. sears quiz

2»

Re: dr. sears quiz

• Options
    I totally agree @MeghanKG

While I like some of Dr. Sears stuff and "scored" a 70, the quiz irritated me. Oh, you had pain meds- clearly you aren't as attached as other moms. Oookay. I also don't *want* Wyatt in my bed but apparently running off to Fiji when
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ihearttab said:
    I totally agree @MeghanKG While I like some of Dr. Sears stuff and "scored" a 70, the quiz irritated me. Oh, you had pain meds- clearly you aren't as attached as other moms. Oookay. I also don't *want* Wyatt in my bed but apparently running off to Fiji when
    Yeah, that kind of threw me, too. I mean... I had a c-section... I really wasn't going to do that without meds. And anyone who does needs a new quiz to determine why they and their doctor are both insane. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't understand the pain med question either.
    Anniversary       

• Options
    I got a 60. I don't wear LO I try weekly but he still doesn't like the ergo. And hell no I didn't go med free I'm a whimp!
  • Options
    MeghanKG said:
    ihearttab said:
    I totally agree @MeghanKG While I like some of Dr. Sears stuff and "scored" a 70, the quiz irritated me. Oh, you had pain meds- clearly you aren't as attached as other moms. Oookay. I also don't *want* Wyatt in my bed but apparently running off to Fiji when
    Yeah, that kind of threw me, too. I mean... I had a c-section... I really wasn't going to do that without meds. And anyone who does needs a new quiz to determine why they and their doctor are both insane. 
    You weren't? Why not? I'd love to have my uterus sliced open and feel every minute of it!
    FX for next time! I am so going med-free for the RCS. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    40% - I am not avoiding schedule - wish they would- they just haven't been able to work for us. Flame away!
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wasn't sure how to answer so many of those questions...  

LO is 4 months, so I haven't bf for over 6, obviously.
    Went med-free for 22 hrs of labor, but had an epi for the final two days.
    LO sleeps half & half--sprawled across the line between our bed and his attached sidecar.
    What's sleep training?  I'm not avoiding it, but I don't think I'm doing it.
    We're not avoiding a schedule; LO makes his own schedule and we try to honor it, but he changes it up every 2 wks or so.

Guess a quiz without context is difficult to pull off.
  • Options
    Oh nice, TB cut off my comment.

The Bump: Joke Ruiner! (any Scrubs fans?)

• Options
    I don't really get the point of the quiz, though. What does getting pain meds during birth have to do with attachment parenting? I think stuff like this kind of encourages mommy competitions.
    It is Time Magazine aka publisher of the "Are You Mom Enough?" headline. They love this kind of shit. Being someone who has read several Dr. Sears books the quiz is absurdly reductionist. He certainly encourages breastfeeding and rooming in but is always very clear that it's not an all or nothing approach. Plus one of the "tenants" of attachment parenting he teaches is balancing baby's needs with a parent's needs.
    Yup.  Parenting choices are only "news" if you can sensationalize them, so I think Time's presentation of Sears/attachment parenting tries to make is sound masochistic so that people will have strong reactions to it.  That's probably the motivation for including the pain med question.  I just thought it was fun to take because it reminded me of the quizzes in Seventeen Magazine that we used to take on the bus in middle school to find out what kind of kissing style we had or whatever.  

The reality for me is that several of these "choices" haven't been about my interest in self-sacrifice or lack thereof--I had a medicated birth because I had to be induced 24 hours after my water broke.  I bedshare because my baby wakes up after 10 or 20 minutes of sleeping alone.  I wear her constantly because she cries less that way.  I EBF and don't give bottles because she won't take a bottle.  I comfort nurse frequently because she won't take a pacifier. I would love for her to have a schedule, but it just wasn't happening for us, and we're both less stressed now that I've decided to follow her cues for nap times that are different every day.  It has nothing to do with whether I'm "mom enough," it has to do with me finding the easiest solutions for our family.  If I had a different baby, I might have different solutions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"