Military Families
Options

Question about on-post housing

How hard is it to get into on-post housing. I was looking on some websites at the on-post communities and they all had wait times. How do the wait time work? Is it similar to a waiting list? What would you suggest doing for a wait time of 2 weeks, since that is too short to find off-base housing and then move.
imageimageimage
  imageimage
image   image

August Siggy Challenge Photobomb

Re: Question about on-post housing

• Options
    Wait times depend on the post.  If your wait time is two weeks, I've found most people stay at an extended stay hotel or at the post hotel if there is availability.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    bnikbnik member
    Depends. The wait at the base my husbabd is stationed at its a long wait. The base 20 minutes away has plenty of housing.. our first base was a 2yr wait list
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It really depends on the base and the location.

Most of the places I've been stationed have had NO waiting list on base, mostly because the base housing is of a lower standard than what you can rent in town on BAH, so most people choose to live off-base.   Other bases in more expensive areas can offer you a much nicer house than you can get for the same cost in town.

I agree that you should have a plan for all eventualities.  If you get assigned a sponsor, this is a great question to ask him/her.   Also, I'm pretty sure you can get on the waiting list as soon as you have orders.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It completely depends upon the post. When we moved to Fort Irwin and Fort Belvoir, the soldier had to be signed into his/her unit before getting on the wait list (and at least at Belvoir, I believe, they back-date your application to when the soldier signed out of their previous unit). When we moved to Fort Lee, we had our address there before we had even moved out of our current location.

Waits vary by location and soldier's rank and family needs. It's impossible to know for certain.

Good luck. PCSing can be a challenge when you don't know where you'll be living when you arrive.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PCSing to AK we had to physically be here before we were put on the waiting list. We were offered a house the same day even though we were initially told the wait would be 4-8 weeks.

• Options
    We were unable to be put on the waiting list until we moved but had an offer a week later. As PP recommended, we stayed at lodging on post.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As everyone is saying it depends on the post, number of rooms you would need and the rank of the active duty member. At Lejeune we are looking at 2 month waiting list, basically you put in an application for a house and you are put on the massive list and they go down the list as houses open up. 

If you have a two week waiting list you might be able to get in sooner. You would have to go to the housing authority and talk to them. Most of the time families with children take priority over simply married couples with no kids. 

• Options
    Families PCSing have priority over families who simply chose to live off base. It depends on the base though. The wait list for the housing we qualified for was 5 months but my husband was able to be put on the list the day he got his orders. After all was said and done the house was offered to us 2 weeks before we moved here. There are different houses based on rank/how many children you have so that'll depend on the wait time as well. Your best bet would be to call housing to see what it would be like for your specific situation at that specific base.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I are stationed at Fort Bliss which is a very large base and he came home 6 months early from a deployment. I had moved to Oregon to be with family since I was pregnant and when he said he was coming home we literally had a week to find a house. Got into the office on a Monday and had keys by Wednesday morning to the last 2 bedroom available. Depends on the post and how busy people are. Ours was during pcs season so they had a lot coming and going so it just depends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"