3rd Trimester
Options

Bassinet vs Rock N Play Sleeper

I have been totally set on using the Fisher Price rock n play sleeper beside our bed instead of a bassinet. We got one as a shower gift and I have had great feedback from friends with babies. We took a newborn care and safety class, as this is our first, and the instructor who is an RN said she would not recommend it bc of the slight incline as it will keep our LOs legs scrunched up as opposed to her being able to stretch out. Now I'm second guessing the sleep situation. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Re: Bassinet vs Rock N Play Sleeper

• Options
    We have used a bassinet beside our bed and a pnp in the living room for her to sleep, both work well and just might depend on how much room you have. I would have preferred to have a bassinet with an open side to put right up to my side of the bed but unfortunately it was too late and are unavailable in Canada. Either or would work, just do what's easier for you. :)
  • Options
    We use a pack & play w. a bassinet feature beside our bed and then a Zen collection cradle swing during the day or we move it by the bed for rough nights. We're due w. baby #3 and it's worked great for the 1st two
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't really understand he keeping the legs scrunched up thing, especially in regards to the incline. For one, most infants are swaddled, which keeps their legs pretty scrunched up. Two, the RNP just doesn't do that. 

I swore I would not use the RNP for nightime sleeping with DS, but we kept the one we got as a gift (I did not even register for it, I was so against it) for naps. DS started out in his PNP bassinet, but around 6 weeks stopped sleeping (he had been a GREAT sleeper). One night, in desperation, I gave in to the RNP. He slept in it until 5 months. It took us two nights to get him moved back to the PNP after that.

So, I would start with something more "traditional" so you don't have potential issues transitioning, but when you need sleep, don't rule anything out.
    Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Options
    We loved our RNP. DD slept in it until she was 4 months old. She needed the incline too. We plan on using it for any children we have.

I don't understand her leg scrunching issue. Most newborns don't want to stretch out but I never noticed DD looking scrunched. She preferred the cozier RNP to the open PNP.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We used the rock n play beside our bed until DD outgrew it.  We originally bought the arm's reach co-sleeper, but DD had reflux and really needed something with an incline.  My pediatrician recommended it as well as so many of our friends. 
    I have never heard of anyone saying not to use it.
  • Options

when I had my first baby I didn't know anything! so I tried the bassinet and it didn't work out very well.. then I learned to put him in the rock and play sleeper while I was in the shower.. I would put it in the bathroom with me! and it worked AWESOME! and then I put him in the rock and play to sleep and it did scare me at first (being a new mom everything scared me) but it worked AWESOME!!! when he was 2 months old i started using the crib.. i got VERY lucky and he started sleeping 12 hours straight starting 3 months old. i just pray this next baby does too! :) good luck!!!! 

• Options
    The RNP does not scrunch up their legs. Their legs are fully outstretched in front of them. My LO hated his crib. The RNP surrounded him and made him feel more cozy. We used it from the time he was 1 month up to maybe 4.5 months. He was a baby that was up every 45 min- hour in his crib and the RNP allowed him to get longer stretches of sleep, which is beneficial for everybody! The incline is also very helpful if your baby has any degree of reflux, because the incline helps keep the milk down in threir tummy which means a more comfortable baby and less spit up. Also, DS was in it during the summer months when we were taking a lot of trips to the beach and it is super easy to travel with. It folds flat and is lightweight so it's very portable for any trips you might have to take. There's nothing wrong with a bassinet but I can think of a lot more "pros" for the RNP for this argument. When we transitioned LO back to his crib around 5 months, we used a magic sleepsuit and did some sleep training and we had a lot of luck with that. My experience is that all babies love the RNP, but your baby could be an exception...honestly, sometimes you just have to play it by ear and find out what works best for you and your baby when the time comes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We have a 2 story home so I had a bassinette near the bed and the rock n play downstairs for naps.  The only issue we had was that her head was always to one side so it made us nervous. We started using a cloth under the side she favored and she never had any issues.  Eventually we actually moved the rock n play upstairs since she did so good sleeping in it and again, never had any issues.  We did move her into her crib around 5.5 months though so then she never really used it again.
    Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
    DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
    3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
    IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
    Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
    Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
    Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
    Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just sold the bassinet that I got for DD because I don't plan on using it for LO. I wasn't a fan of the bassinet that we had because every time I put DD down in it she cried. Every.single.time. and I would end up taking her out of it. She would also move around like crazy and there are no breathable sides on the bassinet that I had so I didn't understand how it was safe. I have a RNP for LO and plan on using that and a swing. DD pretty much lived in her swing for the first six months for sleeping since she was asthmatic and had RSV at one point so it made it easier for her to breathe in a sitting up position.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I think that's ridiculous because if a baby is swaddled their legs are all scrunched up. Ps. Your babies legs have been scrunched for months! You can make sure their butt is in the lowest part and put their legs out like and L shape. Lots if docs recommend an inclined sleeping position if baby has reflux. I think the old way it would be an issue is if you had LO in there for all their sleeping. I've given them as gifts and everyone LOVES them. No problems with scrunched legs. I'll be using it at night next to my bed. It was 1 of my 2 "must haves" for LO.

• Options
    What is the difference between Rock n Play and a regular bouncer from BRU? Should I register for one over the other?

We also registered for the Graco Pack n Play with bassinet as well as a snuggle nest. I guess these are all options for sleeping and every baby is different but I DON'T KNOW WHAT IM DOING! :(
  • Options
    ktpaladinoktpaladino member
    edited October 2013
    BShreeve said:
    What is the difference between Rock n Play and a regular bouncer from BRU? Should I register for one over the other? We also registered for the Graco Pack n Play with bassinet as well as a snuggle nest. I guess these are all options for sleeping and every baby is different but I DON'T KNOW WHAT IM DOING! :(

I believe the RNP is slightly less upright and more roomy than the bouncer. The RNP is cleared for regular nightly sleeping, but a bouncer is not recommended for use throughout the night, every night, I don't think. I see them as more well suited for naps. (But my LO loved to nap in his RNP, so a bouncer would have been pretty useless to us) Many bouncers have a vibrating feature which is the only thing the RNP does not have. Also bouncers are usually lower to the ground, where as the height of the RNP makes it easy to reach over for baby without fully getting out of bed in the MOTN. If you're going to register for one over the other, definitely go with the RNP!

If you are fortunate enough to receive all the items you are registered for, that just means that you have the luxury of trying out the different sleeping devices to see what your baby feels the most comfortable in. Most likely you'll pick whatever works best and the others will sit in the closet collecting dust most of the time...but you can always sell them later if you're not using them. IMO, a PNP is really only needed if you don't have a nursery with a crib. They are also helpful as a travel crib from about 5 months-15 months if there is not a full sized crib at your destination. So if you do a lot of traveling, it will be worth having. Babies will start to outgrow a PNP around 15 months size-wise, and before 5 months, the RNP can be used for travel. (It folds flat and is super lightweight and portable) IMO, the bassinet and snuggle nest attachment are kind of unnecessary for a PNP, especially if you have the RNP.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"